Author Topic: K-Rino Interview Part 2  (Read 100 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
K-Rino Interview Part 2
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »
http://illuminati2g.com/site/2011/05/31/k-rino-interview-part-2/

Part 2 of our interview with K-Rino, we talk about South Park Coalition, international touring, his next album and much more so check it out. For those that missed part 1, click on the link below. -Jehuniko

http://illuminati2g.com/site/2011/05/28/k-rino-interview-part-1/

Tell me about SPC..

Nip is the one responsible for putting SPC on a global scale. He was the 1st artist from our neighborhood to be out there like that. He gave us a big big look. So when our album dropped, we wouldn’t have a problem selling CD’s. Same with Master P, same thing. Nip repped SPC and we was featured on his album, what was different, we had so much diversity. You could pick you poison. Klondike Kat was different than Dope-E, 25 ta Life was different form me. It was a fun time. There was no movement like SPC in the Southern Region, in a lot of regions, with out an ounce of radio play.

I traveled all over the place. I saw 1st hand how much respect we had that I wasn’t even aware of. Even when I was younger, we went to LA, straight to the hotel, to the meeting that’s it. On tour, we was in the streets, clubs, direct contact with the people. So they could tell us how they felt about us. Dope-E, Egypt-E created the PSC sound.

Yeah? What’s that sound?

In the beginning, it was dark, eerie, sinister bass lines. The bass line was always sick, something out of a horror movie. They were always so skilled in putting those together, creating something that suited each person. Nip was horrorcore, Point Blank wasn’t horror, but still gangster. Klondike Kat, could do a rap album, R & B, reggae. Then you got people like AC Chill 2005.

I see you guys rep him hard.

He was one of the spark plugs of the crew. He always flew under the radar. He mainly featured on albums, but never released albums. He had one, but never in the stores. He had a big big following. You could dig up 50 songs with him featured. He def. one of the corner stones. Our posse tracks were our trademark. People knew, any SPC artists with an album, always had a posse track at the end. That was our rule. Everyone made sure we had a click song. AC Chill, took the crown on many of em. That was a staple. “Spit Something” on my new album, we still doing it. Point Blank, he say what most people won’t bring. He gon tell you point blank. There’s just so many personalities.

Are there different generations of SPC?

There was the 1st wave, some guys aren’t as active now. Then you have another wave that provides another spark. SPC started in 1987. People I went to school with. I started branching out.

But you started SPC?

Yeah. The power that one brings, adds to the power you bring. We had a little slow down process. When SUC came in, SPC were the new thing. Then we had resurgence and we just bringing it to them. Then we had others that weren’t rap artists. Originally SPC was just rap artists, and a few DJ’s. Now we have people in marketing, radio, magazine publications. We have people in every phase of the game. We have affiliates in Germany, the UK, and Australia. It grew from hanging out with rappers in school, to people worldwide. It has to mean something to others. It has a necessary piece to the whole hip hop puzzle, regardless of the hip hop mainstream, regardless of the people on the street who may not know us. It’s a small core group of people that respect it and that’s a blessing.

Within the crew, how many albums have dropped?

I’m going to take a guess. It’s over 100, possibly, close to 200. I have 25 myself. You looking at over 70 artists in SPC.

Justice Allah in my opinion is one the best to ever do it, how did you guys click up and what’s up with these events you guys been doing? Seems like you guys are really providing a platform for the Houston underground.

I met Justice through Dope-E, who was living in 3rd Ward. He was always over there working on his project. It doesn’t take long for 2 like minded people to understand that you relate and he cool as a fan. We be in situations, thinking about giving other artists a platform to get a good look. We started Coalition Ambush and we just did Coalition Ambush 5 just a few weeks ago. It now became a brand. People from Louisiana, Philly, that come down to be a part of this. Not too mention, the SPC shows that have revitalized the interest in SPC. It’s for our past fans, new fans, and our concert fans are getting younger and younger. You look out, cats in the crowd like 20 year old straight SPC fans.

It’s the new generation that keeps it going. Like that feeling when you were 15-16, some old school R&B, and your Mama say, that’s Johnny Taylor, in your mind it’s brand new. People view us in the same light. That’s a blessing. That’s what’s going to keep us going. Especially, living in the era we living in now. People didn’t have the chance to experience Public Enemy, Ice T. Music not like that now. WE can be a totally different look. We stick out like a sore thumb. The best feeling for me is when people think im the new guy. Like, who that new guy rapping with Z-Ro. It’s not only the new fans it’s the new generation of artists. When they get the history, they gon have a greater appreciation. They gon see good music; don’t have an expiration on it. So people are shocked. “I found out you been doing this for 20 years. “ This a thinking mans game. With sports, you can hurt your knee. The only way you can’t do music, is if you hurt your mind. Some of these young rappers, at 25 or 2 albums in, they run out of things to talk about. As long as you can stay in touch with the times, in tune with how the people are thinking, you always gon be able to produce music that people can feel.

I trip out on rock music, they talk love, fighting, suicide, some of it sucks, some of it is cool but they steady sell music. Rap music is stuck in a box.

It’s like that by design, rap music, hip hop, took white America by storm. Basically took em by surprise. It wasn’t viewed as a threat until it was used a tool for consciousness and the high powers actually saw it being successful, black and brown, as it says in the scriptures, “let us deal wisely with them.” In the inner city, it turned into black power, lets be brothers and sisters, and it was a problem for the power structure. It made them to want to put a halt on us. They can’t have their slaves teaching people to be free. Then gangster rap, from the perspective of ignorance, not from the perspective of…gangster rap was instituted…robbing, raping, the negative say..The true essence of gangster rap is the raw reality, let it be known to the govt that it exists, let it be known why it exists. A contradiction.

When that glorification of the gangster rap came in, it removed the conscious. It looked corny if you saying “fight the power.” What’s cool now; let’s rob banks, slapping bitches, and things of that nature. Glorification of it..like NWA,Geto Boys, Ice T, labeled as gangster rappers but injecting all this consciousness into the minds of the people. The system went after them. Now it’s about my chain, my outfit, my watch. It’s a totally different focus. Now you got people pulling up to the mansion, in a Bentley, and it’s not even his. It creates this illusion. But it’s by design. Now you don’t hear any conscious music on the radio. Why is that? That’s not an accident. Things like that just fall off the face of the earth. Any movement that was here one day and gone the next, it don’t jus disappear. It was moved. Called Cointelpro, CIA, FBI, this is not an accident. The rappers got to wake up. When the rappers wake up, then the youth wake up. When the youth wake up, its over. You can’t blind us with that never never land, making our mouths water for things that are not real at the moment. We got to focus on the real; the focus has been taken off the real enemy. We have made enemies of ourselves. The bigger enemy created that confusion, that chaos. We got to change these labels cannot stunt our creative growth. You can’t set up a roadblock between us and our people. The problem too many sell out. Too many of us would let money turn us into whatever Satan wants us to be. Just dangle that shiny object and they make you do whatever you want to do. The few that don’t conform, get black balled, get wiped off the planet or cannot excel past a certain point.

Rap comes out and the powers that be are like oh shit…Do you feel a resurgence of conscious rap? On a business level as well.

Dissatisfaction brings about change. Elijah Muhammad said “To whatever degree people are dissatisfied, that’s the degree that you will see people change. “ By the natural order of things, it will bring about a generation of people wanting change. Now boy’s, are getting more lyrical oriented, punch line oriented. But the knowledge part is not there as much. As it relates to business, it depends on what branch of business you talking about. If its record business, they don’t plan of letting in into the community. The result is a free slave, they don’t want that. Like the million man march, just do it. Not endorsed by a govt, or company, it was built by people. Same with conscious rap, people will rally behind it. Out of respect for the goal of the movement, or the goal of the movement.

Conscious rappers, we want to make money too. But our 1st concern is the message.

The message lives forever, the message outlives the money. A lot of rich men came and went, but if they said anything or did anything profound the message lived on.

I think about Talib Kweli, their Reflection Eternal, one example that comes to mind as far as “conscious” hip hop backed by a major label.

Maybe some will get through, even if they speaking on, there’s a line, as long as you don’t go past this point. You can speak against the war. You can talk about a 9-11 conspiracy. It may give an appearance. But there’s a line….that’s not to belittle what they do. Some people don’t even go in at all. You got a lot of conscious individuals, but he doesn’t go there in his lyrics. You talk to him and you can see he intelligent but on your records you don’t talk about that other stuff. You can’t devote 2 records to it? In an interview, I would respect that person if they speak on this. The youth need to know who you represent. Do you rep God or the devil. Do you rep a conscious movement r do u rep ignorant. We gotta know. You living in a mansion and the people supporting you are struggling. We need to know your stance on us. It s a cowardly move. It goes back to the very beginning, having control of your product.. Having control of what you do creatively.

When the conversation gets too hot, someone behind them tells him to go there. You always gon be up here (points up) as long as you don’t go there (points down). That (points down) reps the inner workings of what they doing, Satan’s mind, of what he doing. That’s where the illuminati confusion comes in; it’s a subliminal scenario, than an actual scenario. Its people striving for a position, actors, athletes, they don’t cross that same line because the people who have afforded them the imaginary power, if you ever cross a particular line, we will take away what we gave you. Even if never spoken, it is understood. If the man goes against the slave master, the imaginary ghost that people conform to consciously and subconsciously. Sometimes people don’t even know.

Stories From The Black Book ◄ (3 versions)   Electric City Records (2), Electric City Records (2)    1993   

Danger Zone ◄ (2 versions)   Electric City Records (2)    1995   

K-Rino ◄ (3 versions)   Alexia Records    1998   

No Mercy ◄ (2 versions)   Electric City Records (2)    1999   

Fear No Evil (CD)   Black Book International    2004   

The Hitt List (CD, Album)   Black Book International    2004   

Worst Rapper Alive (CD)   Black Book International    2005   

Time Traveller (CD)   Black Book International    2006   

A Lyrical Legend (CD, Mixed)   Wolftown Recordings    2007   

Book Number 7 (CD, Album)   Black Book International    2007   

The Blood Doctrine (CD, Album)   Black Book International    2008   

Triple Darkness Vol. 3 - Coalition Ambush (CD, Album)   Black Book International    2008   

Triple Darkness Vol. 2 - The Lyrics (CD, Album)   Black Book International    2008   

Triple Darkness Vol. 1 - Wreck Time (CD, Album)   Black Book International    2008   

Speed Of Thought (CD, Album)   SPC UK    2009   

Solitary Confinement (CD, Album)   Black Book International    2009   

Annihilation Of The Evil Machine (2xCD, Album)   Black Book International    2010   

Alien Baby (CD, Album)   Black Book International    2011

Is it too early to talk about your next album?

Not too early to say that it’s coming. I have the basic concept.

Cool as long as we know its coming. Last album dropped?

September 2010.

Approximate Time for the next one?

Well, I drop them pretty fast. So mid to late January. My next project, is going to be a throw back picture that gon be me on the cover. Its gon trip everyone out.

Damn, that’s fast! Where have you traveled to?

I’ve been blessed to travel without a college degree, without the backing of a label Helsinki, Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Sydney Australia, many parts of the US. I’ve been blessed to travel because of rap music. Not by me going to just to be going, I was brought by the demand of the people. That’s the best feeling, sell out venues, for them to send for this guy from South Park, to spit these raps he made up.

What’s next?

God willing, to just keep putting out timeless relevant music and to try and expand the exposure of what we do. People misunderstand the underground. I’m an underground artist, but I don’t want to stay in a box. The goal, moving forward is to grow, and make this movement pop wide open. People are gon starting clinging on from everywhere. That’s the plan, coming new. 80% of what recorded is on iTunes, if you reading this and interested you can listen to what I do so…break bread.

Shout outs?

Thank God Allah, shout out all our supporters now and to the future. With out them, we wouldn’t be here. We very grateful. Very grateful, if they spent their hard earned money, we appreciate it a lot. And thank you for doing the interview, appreciate it man.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:13:49 AM by D-Nice »

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
Re: K-Rino Interview Part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:36:38 PM »
i cut 4 rino...out of all the rappers in houston thats been in it for 28...he still carryin the underground on his shoulders...

took face almost 30yrs to even get a song with him...glad he never signed with rap-a-lot

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: K-Rino Interview Part 2
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
best that never did it
the only lyricist/mc from Houston ever
weird that he was never aknowledged b4, but id blame it on him
cool 2 c Caninus reachin out tho

+1 for the interview
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:41:56 PM by Michael Madsen »