Author Topic: GANG STARR  (Read 215 times)

jeromechickenbone

GANG STARR
« on: January 06, 2003, 11:37:55 PM »
i was just wonderin how many of yall bump gang starr? i think they are soooo under appreciated. primo and guru are easily one of the greatest dj/mc combos of ALL TIME. what are some of yalls favorite tracks/albums?

S.G.V.

Re:GANG STARR
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2003, 12:54:17 AM »
U Know My Steez is the shit
Mass Appeal is a 100% banger
Militia
Royalty
Above The Clouds
DWYCK
Betrayl

shit theres so many more...i can never get enough of gurus lyricism...from his jazzmatazz to his gangstarr work...group home...whatever...hes got me hooked...and premo...amazing beats

=[Euthanasia]=

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 02:24:53 AM »
i can never get enough of gurus lyricism...from his jazzmatazz to his gangstarr work...group home...whatever...hes got me hooked...

I've always loved Guru's lyrics, i've been hated on a few times though, people have said he can't carry them well because of his flow, which I think is BS. As for premo, well his one of my all time fav. producers, has been for years.

I think that if you take one of the 'O's' out of 'Good' it's 'God', if you add a 'D' to 'Evil' it's the 'Devil'. I think some cool motherfucker sat down a long time ago and said 'let's figure out a way to control motherfuckers'.

S.G.V.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 02:52:25 AM »
his flow is tight...who said that he has a weak flow?...they should slap themselves...

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2003, 06:46:24 AM »
I just went on their website the other day and i couldn't believe that moment of truth and full clip only went gold, i thought that all of their albums had gone plat.

Above The Clouds is my favourite rap song of all time, but i think Guru's flow is a bit boring, i think he's a good emcee but he isn't anything special (unless you compare him to whats in the charts, but if you compare him to other dope "conscious" rappers he is near the bottom of the list)
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2003, 02:07:19 PM »
well i'm glad i'm not alone here. it seems like no one ever gives them their due respect. and as far as people not thinkin guru holds his own, i think thats crazy. guru in my opinion is a phenomenol lyricist. he always gives you some shit to ponder. i think primo and and guru are like bread and butter. as far as them not goin platinum lately, i can't say i'm surprised. they just don't get near the props they deserve

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2003, 10:51:02 PM »
yeah theire hot I also  like Guru's JAZZMATAZZ

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2003, 12:48:50 PM »
They are so under appreciated outside of NY by the look of it. I mean most people I talk to here in the UK haven't even heard of them which is ludicrious.

As for their albums not going platinum, that doesn't really suprise me, although I would actually think that there would be enough hardcore Gang Starr fans for Full Clip to have gone platinum along with the sales of more casual fans.

Guru is a great lyricist in my view, but the only real problem that I see with him is that his voice can sometimes be too monotone, which does mean that when Premo provides an average beat (although this hardly ever happens) Guru doesn't really have enough to make it into a good track, and it stays average. I think that is what puts most people off of Gang Starr, but real fans have got used to Guru's flow and can now appreciate him for what he is, and enjoy his flow.

Gangsta_T

• T-Records CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • alldayeveryday another dope album!who can compete?
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2003, 03:20:29 AM »
Gangstarr is so fuckin dope

i own every album OG

who da fuck is talkin bout guru cant flow???

damn...
i can listen to gangstarr all damn day man !!

i cant tell you how much respect they got from me...

all time favorites !!!

by the way, can anyone tell me the homepage of gangstarr???

T
REMEMBER: big dicks in yo ass is bad fo yo health!
Ice muthaphukkkin Cube

RIP :
Eazy-E, Fo Clips, Cougnut, Big L, Mausberg, Roger Troutman, Tupac, Notorious BIG, Big Pun, Mr Cee & Hitman of RBL Posse, Speedy Loc, JMJ, Tone Capone

FUCK Nelly & St Lunatics
FUCK the Neptunes & Timbaland
FUCK Puff Daddy
FUCK Murder Inc
FUCK Eminem & 50 Cent
FUCK all RnB Snitches & Bitches

"im rare as finding warm pussy in an igloo"

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2003, 06:04:56 AM »
Guru can flow, there's something monotonous about his way of rapping, maybe that's what some people mean. They're underappreciated, I agree on that, Primo as a producer might not be but Gangstarr don't get the respect they deserve

Gangsta_T

• T-Records CEO
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • alldayeveryday another dope album!who can compete?
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2003, 06:20:44 AM »
Gangstarr helped homies like MOP, Afu-ra, Jeru da Damaja, Ed OG, Big Shug, Group Home and more more more to come up in the rap game !!!

T
REMEMBER: big dicks in yo ass is bad fo yo health!
Ice muthaphukkkin Cube

RIP :
Eazy-E, Fo Clips, Cougnut, Big L, Mausberg, Roger Troutman, Tupac, Notorious BIG, Big Pun, Mr Cee & Hitman of RBL Posse, Speedy Loc, JMJ, Tone Capone

FUCK Nelly & St Lunatics
FUCK the Neptunes & Timbaland
FUCK Puff Daddy
FUCK Murder Inc
FUCK Eminem & 50 Cent
FUCK all RnB Snitches & Bitches

"im rare as finding warm pussy in an igloo"