Author Topic: Tony Parker for Pau Gasol  (Read 295 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Tony Parker for Pau Gasol
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:41:05 PM »
Would you do it?

I know alot of people hate on Parker. He IS French, and everybody hates on the Spurs it seems. But the lakers desperately need a PG, and we could use another big. Not sure what I think of it myself really...

This is from the LA Times.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/09/sports/la-sp-heisler-lakers-20110510/2

Where do the Lakers go from here? A five-step plan
MARK HEISLER / ON THE NBA After their second-round playoff flameout, the Lakers have a lot of decisions ahead, primarily involving systems and personnel.
May 09, 2011|Mark Heisler

Where do they get a point guard?

In the triangle, "initiator" Derek Fisher made the first pass and went off the ball, a role that didn't require a Chris Paul or Deron Williams.

If they abandon the triangle, Paul and Williams may jump over Dwight Howard on their wish list.

Unfortunately for the Lakers, Knicks, et al., the prize 2012 free agents aren't going anywhere in 2011.

The NBA won't let Paul out of New Orleans until it sells the team, one more thing awaiting a labor deal.

Orlando is adamant about keeping Howard, as is New Jersey about Williams.

So Decision No. 4 for the Lakers is:

Do they make a big move now or wait for Paul, Williams or Howard next summer?

If they wait, Decision No. 5 becomes:

What do they do for a point guard in the meantime?

Let's take a look at the teams with more than one:

Denver — Ty Lawson is the Nuggets' guy. Ray Felton can be had.

San Antonio — Tony Parker makes a lot of money for someone with a backup the Spurs love (George Hill), could be available although the Spurs would have to get back a real prize — Pau Gasol? — to deal with the Lakers.

In the East: Jose Calderon, Toronto; Chauncey Billups, New York; Jamal Crawford, Atlanta; Ramon Sessions, Cleveland; Will Bynum, Detroit.

In the most important decision of all:

Will the Busses run their wishes by the basketball people for a reality check this time?

In 2004, Jerry and Jim, harking back to some gauzy memory of Showtime, decided they wanted to run, as in the '80s.

Unfortunately for them, the game had changed dramatically. You could no longer get the ball off the defensive board, outlet it to someone like Magic Johnson and know you'd come down 3-on-2 or 2-on-1.

The game had slowed. Offenses emphasized shooting and spacing, with two players spotted up on the arc who dropped back against fastbreaks.

If hiring Rudy Tomjanovich was OK, his $6-million salary — as much as Jackson had been getting — was on the high side, by a factor of two.

Jim reportedly told his sister, Jeanie, that that was what coaches made.

Who knows how close they get to their miracle turnaround if Rudy T doesn't go over the hill, three months into his five-year, $30-million deal.

When Jackson said he was open to returning, Jim and Jerry were obliged to take him back.

Then all it took was drafting Bynum at No. 10 in 2005, chilling out Kobe in 2007 and landing Gasol in 2008.

Better think this one over, guys.

mark.heisler@latimes.com

"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
Re: Tony Parker for Pau Gasol
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:43:42 PM »
hell no

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
hell no

Yeah, Im not sure if I'd do it either. Gasol is good and all, but he can be a big softy. The lakers will have to do SOMEthing at the point though, cus Fisher and Blake are just getting murdered. Parker would give them an All Star PG who can break down a defense. Easily one of the top PGs in the league, and Gasol would help us out in the front court. I would prefer more of a defensive stopper down low though.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
Don't like it for either team. With Duncan getting older, the Spurs need a physical big, not a softy like Gasol. Gasol is more valuable in the triangle offense and with Bynum being the physical big man. Unlike most Lakers fans, I don't see huge need to replace Blake. It's more him not meeting expectations that really gets to people. Parker is definatly an upgrade, but I see the Lakers' priority as:
1. Backup SG
2. PG
3. Backup bigman (or replace Gasol).

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »
Who would lead Kobe then?

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
Don't like it for either team. With Duncan getting older, the Spurs need a physical big, not a softy like Gasol. Gasol is more valuable in the triangle offense and with Bynum being the physical big man. Unlike most Lakers fans, I don't see huge need to replace Blake. It's more him not meeting expectations that really gets to people. Parker is definatly an upgrade, but I see the Lakers' priority as:
1. Backup SG
2. PG
3. Backup bigman (or replace Gasol).

With Phil gone though, the triangle may be as well. I hear Buss would prefer a more uptempo team. Fisher and Blake will struggle. The Lakers should really try to convince Fish to hang it up, he is such a liability now. I agree with the backup SG thing. I think with Kobe aging, having a penetrating PG would be a real luxury for the Lakers. They already settle for too many jumpers. I agree about Gasol for us. I like him, but I would much rather have a Tyson Chandler type of big.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:22 PM »
i want a younger PG, i know TP is still fast but for how long, im tired of our old ass pgs, im not saying gettin somebody thats inexperienced but im talking about a young vet that plays good OFF THE BALL.

if TP were to come and say the triangle would still be in effect, that would just be horrible, but id assume id be more pick and rolls and such or the adelmans "corner offense" if he were to come.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 02:01:15 AM »
I wouldn't trade big for small except if we get Deron Williams or CP3 ... who are by far the best 2 pure PG in the league ... TP9 is a very good player though , he has been the best PG when it comes to finish at the basket for years , create offense for others , an efficient scorer and decent defender ... and most importantly he's a WINNER ... he's the youngest PG to start a game in NBA history and is the only player with Kobe and Magic to get 3 rings at 25

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 05:00:55 AM »
i want a younger PG, i know TP is still fast but for how long, im tired of our old ass pgs, im not saying gettin somebody thats inexperienced but im talking about a young vet that plays good OFF THE BALL.

if TP were to come and say the triangle would still be in effect, that would just be horrible, but id assume id be more pick and rolls and such or the adelmans "corner offense" if he were to come.

If the Lakers keep the triangle than Parker wouldnt be ideal for them. He really needs to have the ball in his hands to be effective. If you guys ditch the triangle he helps you guys out a ton

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 01:21:17 PM »
LOL@Lakers trading for washed up tony parker....right

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 03:09:13 PM »
LOL@Lakers trading for washed up tony parker....right

Considering the fact that he was our best scorer this year (which is pretty good since Manu is considered the third best 2 guard in the league) and the fact that JJ Barea is better than any PG on your roster...the Lakers aren't in a position to snub their nose at an all star pg lol. But you're right, maybe they should stick with what's not working