Author Topic: Once and for all, whats the infatuation with Death Row records ?  (Read 1298 times)

Your favorite posters favorite poster

Can someone please explain this to me.  Whats with the infatuation with this now defunct record label ?  They had a nice 4 year run of success before their douche bag CEO Suge Knight ran it into the ground.  For all the good music they did make, think of all the good music we lost out on because Suge Knight was a fucking douche bag that ran his record label like a street gang instead of a fucking RECORD LABEL.  If Suge had realized he was a successful man and not a street punk maybe would of actually had the chronic 2, pac still alive, the doggfather with Dre on the boards instead of the snoozefest with no replay value that it was, and a Sam Sneed album.  Yet I see people on this board worship Death Row, people with Death Row avatars and talking about Death Row like they've been relevant in the past 15 years.  People talking about Suge Knight like he is worth a god damn.  I remember years ago some poster in his mid 30's made a thread about how he went to NYC and wore a Suge Knight shirt, hoping to get some sought of reaction.  First of all he said no even noticed and second of all, what type of fucking loser in his mid 30's wear a Suge Knight t-shirt, how fucking pathetic is that.  And I wouldn't be surprised if most people in LA didn't pay any mind to a lame ass shirt like that on a lame ass person.  So in conclusion, why do so many people here look up to Suge Knight.  Once and for all I want a real answer.   What the fuck gives ?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 07:24:33 PM by Prodigal Son »

Re: Once and for all, whats the infatuation with Death Row records ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:12:04 PM »
Russel Simmons >>> Suge

Diddy >>> Suge

Jay-Z >>> Suge

CEO of Scitt Style Records >>> Suge

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
Even after 2Pac dies, most these fools thought that Death Row was gonna resurrect the West Coast with such hitmakers like Kurupt, Crooked I and Spider Loc. :-\

And LOL @ that dude's story. Why would anyone in New York give a fuck about a Suge Knight shirt?

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 07:21:06 PM »
Even after 2Pac dies, most these fools thought that Death Row was gonna resurrect the West Coast with such hitmakers like Kurupt, Crooked I and Spider Loc. :-\

And LOL @ that dude's story. Why would anyone in New York give a fuck about a Suge Knight shirt?

I think he still posts here but he really thought he was bad ass walking around mid town Manhattan wearing a Suge Knight shirt, because all us NY'ers still live in 1996 I suppose.  Whats funny is the only person who noticed anything was some guy asking why he was wearing a Uncle Phil shirt.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:23:25 PM »
What's the infatuation with people complaining about Death Row years after the fact?

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:26:40 PM »
What's the infatuation with people complaining about Death Row years after the fact?

Really ?  Because we make so many anti Death Row threads

Fucking Moron

Quadruple OG

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:27:50 PM »

Fucking Moron

::)

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:31:05 PM »

Fucking Moron

Unless ya goin' answer the initial question, take ya L and get the fuck outta my thread

Quadruple OG

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »

Fucking Moron

Unless ya goin' answer the initial question, take ya L and get the fuck outta my thread

I took an L responding to this thread to begin with. Goes to show the quality of the posting in this forum.

Anyways, reason people talk about DR still is the what if factor. What if Pac didn't get shot? What if Dre didn't leave? What if Suge didn't go to jail? etc. Given where they were in '96 and where they were heading, who knows what the label could have become. That's why people still talk about the label. And the four Certified Hip-Hop Classics they dropped along with two of the best Hip-Hop Soundtracks ever released.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
Can someone please explain this to me.  Whats with the infatuation with this now defunct record label ?  They had a nice 4 year run of success before their douche bag CEO Suge Knight ran it into the ground.  For all the good music they did make, think of all the good music we lost out on because Suge Knight was a fucking douche bag that ran his record label like a street gang instead of a fucking RECORD LABEL.  If Suge had realized he was a successful man and not a street punk maybe would of actually had the chronic 2, pac still alive, the doggfather with Dre on the boards instead of the snoozefest with no replay value that it was, and a Sam Sneed album.  Yet I see people on this board worship Death Row, people with Death Row avatars and talking about Death Row like they've been relevant in the past 15 years.  People talking about Suge Knight like he is worth a god damn.  I remember years ago some poster in his mid 30's made a thread about how he went to NYC and wore a Suge Knight shirt, hoping to get some sought of reaction.  First of all he said no even noticed and second of all, what type of fucking loser in his mid 30's wear a Suge Knight t-shirt, how fucking pathetic is that.  And I wouldn't be surprised if most people in LA didn't pay any mind to a lame ass shirt like that on a lame ass person.  So in conclusion, why do so many people here look up to Suge Knight.  Once and for all I want a real answer.   What the fuck gives ?

Everything has it's beginnings, it's period of growth, climax, and fall, and then it's end.   To put it simply, Death Row on the cover of the Source in the summer of 1996 (just one month after the historic Dre leaving Death Row cover), Suge Knight, Pac, and Snoop... represented the Climax of what I believe is the greatest American culture ever invented.   Hip-Hop.

As the teacher KRS-1 puts it, hip-hop started out as an art form for poor people and disenfranchised people who didn't have money to buy instruments.  In the beginning it was comprised of 4 somewhat equal elements, graffiti, DJ, breakin, and the rapper.

But the rappers rise to fame continued to build and ultimately eclipsed the other 3 elements.   And also with the rise of the rapper at the same time it represented the rise of the black man's voice in America, that had been suppressed since the beginning of his journey in America, with the slave ships.

The rappers rise to prominence continued and was ultimately embodied in the figure of 2pac.   Suge Knight and others like Snoop played key roles in all of it coming together and reaching it's climax in the summer of 96.  The main players in all this were Dre, Suge, Snoop, and 2pac.   With a supporting cast being the rest of the extended Death Row family, like the Dogg Pound, Johnny J, and even KC and Jo Jo and all the affiliates of Death Row.   This represents the climax of the greatest culture in history.

...So this is why it is a big deal.  
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »

Everything has it's beginnings, it's period of growth, climax, and fall, and then it's end.   To put it simply, Death Row on the cover of the Source in the summer of 1996 (just one month after the historic Dre leaving Death Row cover), Suge Knight, Pac, and Snoop... represented the Climax of what I believe is the greatest American culture ever invented.   Hip-Hop.

As the teacher KRS-1 puts it, hip-hop started out as an art form for poor people and disenfranchised people who didn't have money to buy instruments.  In the beginning it was comprised of 4 somewhat equal elements, graffiti, DJ, breakin, and the rapper.

But the rappers rise to fame continued to build and ultimately eclipsed the other 3 elements.   And also with the rise of the rapper at the same time it represented the rise of the black man's voice in America, that had been suppressed since the beginning of his journey in America, with the slave ships.

The rappers rise to prominence continued and was ultimately embodied in the figure of 2pac.   Suge Knight and others like Snoop played key roles in all of it coming together and reaching it's climax in the summer of 96.  The main players in all this were Dre, Suge, Snoop, and 2pac.   With a supporting cast being the rest of the extended Death Row family, like the Dogg Pound, Johnny J, and even KC and Jo Jo and all the affiliates of Death Row.   This represents the climax of the greatest culture in history.

OK now can I get an answer from someone that doesn't have severe emotional issues ?

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:45 PM »
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »

Do you feel going on rants romanticizing hip hop makes you any less white?

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:49:50 PM »

Fucking Moron

I took an L responding to this thread to begin with. Goes to show the quality of the posting in this forum.

Anyways, reason people talk about DR still is the what if factor. What if Pac didn't get shot? What if Dre didn't leave? What if Suge didn't go to jail? etc. Given where they were in '96 and where they were heading, who knows what the label could have become. That's why people still talk about the label. And the four Certified Hip-Hop Classics they dropped along with two of the best Hip-Hop Soundtracks ever released.

That's pretty sad that what if is tied for what was actually accomplished.  It's sad a man that arguably had hiphop in the palm of his hand threw it all away because he couldn't grow up.  Yup that something that we should really focus on.  Suge could of had a west coast Def Jam, instead he and his record label were a flash in the pan in the grand scheme of things.  Suge doesn't deserve the love this place gives him.  How come everyone here still acts like Suge Knight and Death Row are relevant ?

The fact is Suge had a four year run where he was fighting for the throne.  He doesn't deserve the love he get here.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »
\

OK now can I get an answer from someone that doesn't have severe emotional issues ?

I gave you the real answer.  And the fact that you can't see it, and that you can't see that Pac was a rose that grew from the cracks of concrete, is regrettable.  

...ibut if you want to know the reason why you don't see it, and why your soul doesn't seek it, you need to look inward.  Because you can only find outside of you, what first exists within.  It's like Arab poet Khalil Gibran writes in The Prophet...  he writes about how his soul was striving to hear in words what he had always known in heart.   And about music being the voice that couldn't be kept silent and couldn't be put into just (regular) words.    
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)