Author Topic: Fred Wreck on a Death Row Album(2002-Gangsta Rap Instrumental????)  (Read 1096 times)

Quadruple OG

Re: Fred Wreck on a Death Row Album(2002-Gangsta Rap Instrumental????)
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
Can you back up the claim that Suge got the rights for "Change Da Game" in exchange for Jay-Z sampling "Me and My Girlfriend" a year later? Haven't seen that yet.
That can only be proved by asking Suge himself. All we do know is that "Change The Game Remix" sampled Makaveli "Hail Mary" so Clue/Jay-Z would've had to get Suge's permission to use the sample.  He could have traded 2 Makaveli samples for rights to release "Change The Game Remix" and a completely different track for Suge's dysfunktional family ("Hovi Baby") for the second sample ("Me and My Girlfriend").  Someone would have to ask Suge the exact deal.  But we do know that 2 Makaveli samples were authorized by Death Row that Jay-Z rapped on so of course they were doing business.

According to the credits for that album, there's no sample. Where exactly in the track was "Hail Mary" utilized, someone with an ear for sampling, interpolations, etc. please point this out.

And the bolded proves my point, a lot of this is hearsay.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 08:04:01 PM »
I think he's trying to make the argument that since Jay quoted the chorus from "Hail Mary" in that line about Pac that he needed to have the sample cleared. What he doesn't seem to get is that it probably qualifies for "fair use".

love33

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2011, 08:09:37 PM »
I think he's trying to make the argument that since Jay quoted the chorus from "Hail Mary" in that line about Pac that he needed to have the sample cleared. What he doesn't seem to get is that it probably qualifies for "fair use".

Here's a source:  http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/52059/Jay-Z%20and%20DJ%20Clue%20feat.%20Tha%20Dogg%20Pound,%20Beanie%20Sigel%20and%20Memphis%20Bleek-Change%20the%20Game%20(Remix)_2Pac%20feat.%20Kastro,%20Prince%20Ital%20Joe%20and%20Young%20Noble-Hail%20Mary/

Jimmy H.

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
So you basically have confirmed what I just said. Once again, that more than likely falls under "fair use". It's not a direct sample so while you could make the assumption they would need permission, given the history of rappers flipping lines without needing publishing credit paired with the fact that no credit was given, I think it's safe to say your argument still has no validity in terms of actual proof.

gio™fugahoo

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2011, 01:32:26 AM »
So two Sites About Jay and Death Row but my question is Why is there a Fred wreck Beat???

love33

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »
So two Sites About Jay and Death Row but my question is Why is there a Fred wreck Beat???

Daz was still working as lead producer with Death Row and "Gangsta Rap" (the one on "2002") was initially supposed to be the first single for the "Too Gangsta For Radio" compilation album.  He teamed up with Kurupt and got Fred Wreck to produce the track.  After Suge dismissed Daz as lead producer, Big Hutch took the job.  Hutch made a different version of the track and flipped the beat and then put Treach and Scarface on there and that version of "Gangsta Rap" became the new track for the compilation.

Suge later decides he is going to release Tha Dogg Pound "2002" and he decides to have Hutch handle most of the project and the stored track from the vault ends up on the compilation.