Author Topic: Which Death Row signing you think was the one that made Dre leave?  (Read 1342 times)

OG Hack Wilson

Re: Which Death Row signing you think was the one that made Dre leave?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2011, 09:15:19 PM »
Dre was given a choice of walking away or being dragged out of Death Row. Apparently.

He really needs to lie down on a couch, tell his story to a biographer and release a fucking book. Shit would go mega platinum in book sales.

:stop: Muthafuckers don't read.  :stop:

yes they do....you just gotta put the shit on their itablets or whatever
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Jimmy H.

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2011, 10:01:16 PM »
The writing was on the wall regarding Dre's demise from Death Row long before Pac ever signed and he would have left the label eventually even if Pac never went there. The departure of D.O.C. and RBX after Doggystyle as well as Suge's more hands-on approach on the creative end around the time of "Murder Was The Case" were probably the first warning signs. Pac was the ideal choice for Dre's replacement in a "power struggle". He had a strong work ethic, was willing to ride for Suge, had the artistic leadership quality that would be needed in the wake of Dre's departure, and would be an "artist" as opposed to a 50-50 owner like Dre was. 

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »

He appeared in their video's.

The only Dogg Pound video he appeared in was "What Would You Do?". He didn't appear in any of the videos for Dogg Food. Again, the reason Dr. Dre himself cited for leaving the label for good was seeing an engineer get beat up for rewinding a tape too far. In 1996 Dre was no longer recording at DR studio's and was working out of his house. He was rarely at their studios to begin with.

Dre is on the song "Let's Play House" but your right, he doesn't actually appear in the video.  But still, I don't think anyone can deny that Dre fully backed the Dogg Food project.  He introduces them on the album and sets things off.  Then he also sets off their lead single.  And mixed down nearly every track on the album.  Dre was fully behind it. 

...in fact, I would venture to say that Daz didn't really start beefing with Dre until around the time Snoop left Death Row.   Cause remember Daz was Snoop's go-to-guy when Snoop was doing "Midnight Love" and preparing for the release of his third album.  Snoop was still keeping it cool with Dre, and the aside from Pac (and the J.Flexx track "Who Been There, Who Done That" off the Greatest Hits album) nobody really dissed Dre candidly.  Even Suge was somewhat guarded in his language when dissing Dre while Snoop was still with the label.   
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 10:43:44 PM »
There's surprisingly some really insightful things mentioned in the responses.

When we mention Dre's last days at Death Row we tend to forget that Eazy had just died (GREAT point there. And Dre's legal trouble around that time. Could simply be that Dre grew up and was too mature for all the bullshit going on at the time. But that still goes back to the company itself which Dre clearly no longer felt apart of.

Too bad he didn't take anybody with him to Aftermath. All the breakups lead to us being cheated out of hearing Kurupt the Kingpin over some Dre beats =(
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Quadruple OG

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:06 AM »

The only Dogg Pound video he appeared in was "What Would You Do?". He didn't appear in any of the videos for Dogg Food. Again, the reason Dr. Dre himself cited for leaving the label for good was seeing an engineer get beat up for rewinding a tape too far. In 1996 Dre was no longer recording at DR studio's and was working out of his house. He was rarely at their studios to begin with.

Dre is on the song "Let's Play House" but your right, he doesn't actually appear in the video.  But still, I don't think anyone can deny that Dre fully backed the Dogg Food project.  He introduces them on the album and sets things off.  Then he also sets off their lead single.  And mixed down nearly every track on the album.  Dre was fully behind it. 

Tha Dogg Pound was there at the beginning. It'd be more surprising if he wasn't involved with the album at all than if he was

...in fact, I would venture to say that Daz didn't really start beefing with Dre until around the time Snoop left Death Row.   Cause remember Daz was Snoop's go-to-guy when Snoop was doing "Midnight Love" and preparing for the release of his third album.  Snoop was still keeping it cool with Dre, and the aside from Pac (and the J.Flexx track "Who Been There, Who Done That" off the Greatest Hits album) nobody really dissed Dre candidly.  Even Suge was somewhat guarded in his language when dissing Dre while Snoop was still with the label.   

Daz dissed Dre immediately after he left. The OG version of "Me in Your World", which was on the House of Blues DVD, has a line in there about Dre. Snoop dissed Dre on "Freestyle Conversation". Of course we all know about Pac and J-Flexx, so who knows what else is in the vault dissing Dre.

shmosh

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2011, 06:39:59 AM »

Tha Dogg Pound was there at the beginning. It'd be more surprising if he wasn't involved with the album at all than if he was

Daz dissed Dre immediately after he left. The OG version of "Me in Your World", which was on the House of Blues DVD, has a line in there about Dre. Snoop dissed Dre on "Freestyle Conversation". Of course we all know about Pac and J-Flexx, so who knows what else is in the vault dissing Dre.

I don't think Snoop dissed Dre there. In fact there's an interview with Snoop on Youtube (where he's promoting Tha Doggfather) where he says he reached out to Dre for production for Tha Doggfather, but Suge told him not to.

itzkarl813

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2011, 07:08:35 AM »
No disrespect, but alot of you kids have no idea what the seen was like back in 94,95,96.  Infact if I remember correctly, dre was pretty much done with Death Row by Summer of 95, the last I remember dre doing for death row was promoting California Love on MTV in January of 95...

As for Hammer being signed to Death Row, that was a joke and was DEF not used to sell out Arenas.  2pac, and Snoop Dogg along with Tha Dogg Pound, Tha Luniz (big hit with I got 5 on it at that time) and the others on tour (Jodeci) could do that alone.  Hammer was a joke after 1992 and even more so when he released his PUMPS AND A BUMP gangster rap image in 94.. 

I remember being in Miami and hearing ads on Top 40 radio Power 96 for a 2pac show with Snoop Dogg, Tha Luniz, Jodeci, Uncle Luke being played at the Miami Arena in August of 1995.

I say Dre left because he didnt want to work in that environment with a bunch of low lifes in and out that of the studio that prob had nothing to do with the music, he was over that faze, and he made the right choice

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2011, 07:17:35 AM »
No disrespect, but alot of you kids have no idea what the seen was like back in 94,95,96.  Infact if I remember correctly, dre was pretty much done with Death Row by Summer of 95, the last I remember dre doing for death row was promoting California Love on MTV in January of 95...

As for Hammer being signed to Death Row, that was a joke and was DEF not used to sell out Arenas.  2pac, and Snoop Dogg along with Tha Dogg Pound, Tha Luniz (big hit with I got 5 on it at that time) and the others on tour (Jodeci) could do that alone.  Hammer was a joke after 1992 and even more so when he released his PUMPS AND A BUMP gangster rap image in 94.. 

I remember being in Miami and hearing ads on Top 40 radio Power 96 for a 2pac show with Snoop Dogg, Tha Luniz, Jodeci, Uncle Luke being played at the Miami Arena in August of 1995.

I say Dre left because he didnt want to work in that environment with a bunch of low lifes in and out that of the studio that prob had nothing to do with the music, he was over that faze, and he made the right choice

1. It's "scene" not "seen".

2. California Love was released in like December 1995, so how could Dre promote the song before it was recorded? You mean December 1995/January 1996.

3. 2pac was released in like October 1995 so how could he do a concert in August of 1995?

itzkarl813

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »
your right, i ment august of 96..

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2011, 08:09:19 AM »
it was when suge hired rufus the janitor.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »
I don't think Snoop dissed Dre there. In fact there's an interview with Snoop on Youtube (where he's promoting Tha Doggfather) where he says he reached out to Dre for production for Tha Doggfather, but Suge told him not to.
I distinctly remember a Snoop interview from many years ago (probably while he was still on Death Row) where he said he did reach out to Dre, but Dre kept saying that he had some other projects or something to that effect, which was obviously Dre not wanting to be affiliated with Death Row.  Snoop interpreted it as Dre telling Snoop to move on, grow up and become his own artist.

sms130

• 'G'
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
No disrespect, but alot of you kids have no idea what the seen was like back in 94,95,96.
I agree. I can't speak for all but, I still remember that time very well along gathering alot of info over there years it begin to become even more clear. 1995 was the year Dre began to make a change in his life. After his former longtime close friend Eazy-E died of AIDS in early 1995, Dre began to open his eyes and consider making some changes in his life. Several things may have broken up the business relationship and friendship of Dre and Suge. Creative differences, ego, greed, the environment, and even some other personal issues could have all lead and played apart of the rip between Dre and Suge. I think it was this combination that lead to Dre's departure. 2Pac may have became an issue on but, early on it didn't seem as if that was the case. They did a few interviews together, Dre laced Pac with some production on Pac's album (2 songs that were originally Dre songs), and he clearly knew about Pac being signed to Death Row. Look at Death Row's performance at The Source Awards in 1995. There was a cardboard cut-out of 2Pac (Me Against The World era photo) in one of the jail cell. That was one of the early hints of 2Pac being signed to Death Row.