Author Topic: DOC starts his return to the top  (Read 1695 times)

Sccit

Re: DOC starts his return to the top
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 02:42:35 PM »
Do you really believe No One Can Do It Better is on the level of illmatic?

a classic is a classic. the album is a 5/5. do u even know what that did for west coast hip-hop?

Nothing? The DOC isn't a west coast rapper.

yea, and neither are 2pac or kurupt....lmao.

step it up, son.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 03:13:28 PM »

a classic is a classic. the album is a 5/5. do u even know what that did for west coast hip-hop?

step it up, son.

Pac and Kurupt were born other places and moved to California, lived there for years and repped it as their home. The D.O.C. went to Cali specifically to fuck with Dre and make music. He was literally living in Dre's house during that time. Ice Cube went to NY to record his albums, doesn't make him an east coast rapper.

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 03:31:43 PM »

step it up, son.

Pac and Kurupt were born other places and moved to California, lived there for years and repped it as their home. The D.O.C. went to Cali specifically to fuck with Dre and make music. He was literally living in Dre's house during that time. Ice Cube went to NY to record his albums, doesn't make him an east coast rapper.

LOL...the DOC is west coast hip-hop, man. doesn't matter where he lived, he made his music out here and fucked with west coast cats exclusively, thus giving him the signature west coast sound. he was a huge part of NWA's success and his debut is considered a landmark in west coast rap. if u dont consider DOC west coast, u need to check urself.

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »
Spice wanna go around talkin like no one does it better aint a classic yet his forum name is taken from a rapper that never even came close to making a classic lol...not to mention claiming rick ross is a great lyricist go do your homework kid

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 03:51:27 PM »
Spice wanna go around talkin like no one does it better aint a classic yet his forum name is taken from a rapper that never even came close to making a classic lol...not to mention claiming rick ross is a great lyricist go do your homework kid

lol this reminded me

Rick Ross : UGH!

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
LOL...the DOC is west coast hip-hop, man. doesn't matter where he lived, he made his music out here and fucked with west coast cats exclusively, thus giving him the signature west coast sound. he was a huge part of NWA's success and his debut is considered a landmark in west coast rap. if u dont consider DOC west coast, u need to check urself.

lmao he didn't have a signature west coast sound. Does No One Can Do It Better sound like a west coast album to you?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »

Now you're just making stuff up. And lol your forum name is taken from a rapper that never even came close to making a classic. Worst logic ever.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 10:08:50 PM »
He's a pioneer and all but the lyrics in Doggystyle or 2001 (which he most of the time oversaw, not really wrote) are clearly the weakest aspects of those albums. 
No, they are not.  We seem to be living in this new world of faux-sophistication where lyrics have to be complex and overly-intellectual to be considered valid of holding weight. Simple can be just as effective. Great writing, at its core, is about creating something that reasonates. If you can create a memorable song with basic words and rhyme patterns, that is not weak lyricism. If anything I think a true artist is one that stays in the moment, instead of trying to come off clever with a witty metaphor. 

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:30 PM »
He's a pioneer and all but the lyrics in Doggystyle or 2001 (which he most of the time oversaw, not really wrote) are clearly the weakest aspects of those albums.  
No, they are not.  We seem to be living in this new world of faux-sophistication where lyrics have to be complex and overly-intellectual to be considered valid of holding weight. Simple can be just as effective. Great writing, at its core, is about creating something that reasonates. If you can create a memorable song with basic words and rhyme patterns, that is not weak lyricism. If anything I think a true artist is one that stays in the moment, instead of trying to come off clever with a witty metaphor.  

I'd agree with most of this. But I also think a lot of songs have been carried by their beats. The lyrics on Doggystyle were memorable because look how many of Snoop's quotables came out of that. But I can't say the same for 2001. I believe you could have replaced Kurupt's "bitch is a bitch" rhymes with better lyrics, or given Dre better lyrics and that would have made the album even better.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 11:34:47 PM by SPICE TWO »

Sccit

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:31 PM »

lmao he didn't have a signature west coast sound. Does No One Can Do It Better sound like a west coast album to you?

yes...it has the same sound as the other Ruthless releases from that era. Are you okay? smh

Sccit

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 11:50:31 PM »

I dunno bout that...I think Spice-1 has a couple bay classics under his belt.

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 12:24:04 AM »
No, they are not.  We seem to be living in this new world of faux-sophistication where lyrics have to be complex and overly-intellectual to be considered valid of holding weight. Simple can be just as effective. Great writing, at its core, is about creating something that reasonates. If you can create a memorable song with basic words and rhyme patterns, that is not weak lyricism. If anything I think a true artist is one that stays in the moment, instead of trying to come off clever with a witty metaphor.  

I'd agree with most of this. But I also think a lot of songs have been carried by their beats. The lyrics on Doggystyle were memorable because look how many of Snoop's quotables came out of that. But I can't say the same for 2001. I believe you could have replaced Kurupt's "bitch is a bitch" rhymes with better lyrics, or given Dre better lyrics and that would have made the album even better.

there are entire songs on 2001 that are quotables.

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 12:48:14 AM »
it's actually funny how you guys love to argue over what's classic, what's not, what's west coast, what's not... in almost every single thread. damn you all need to get some real life.... ASAP

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 01:00:22 AM »

yes...it has the same sound as the other Ruthless releases from that era. Are you okay? smh

lol are you serious? It sounds completely different from everything else on Ruthless. Not only on Ruthless but west coast rap in general.

I dunno bout that...I think Spice-1 has a couple bay classics under his belt.

Bay classics, yes. World-wide classic no. That's kind of how I feel about No One Can Do It Better. It's a great album, but its not on the level of hip hop's greatest albums. Like illmatic is an album that I feel is a universal classic. So is the Chronic. But albums like No One Can Do It Better or Spice 1 I don't put on the same level.

Sccit

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »

there are entire songs on 2001 that are quotables.

LOL...forget it. this guy is a lost cause. he's tryna argue that DOC - No One Can Do It Better is not a west coast album lmao.