Author Topic: A lot of younger kids ages 10-20 think Eminem's came out with Recovery  (Read 688 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I know some kids around where I live who are really into Eminem.  It was kind of a revelation for them when they found out that Eminem had some really great material before Recovery.   It was kind of interesting, because I was thinking about it, that he disappeared after 2003.   So if you were 10 years old in 2003, you might not have really known about him.  Then when you were 17 or 18 years old Recovery comes out and you think it's the greatest album ever.  But you don't realize that it is just leftover residue from a rapper way past his prime.  Then you hear some of his material from 99-2003 and I'm sure that would blow you away.

Anyway, I'm not dissing these kids, they are pretty genuine Eminem fans.  And you have to give Eminem props for being talented enough to still connect with a new generation of fans even at the age of 37.  It's like a second life for him.

Only thing I can compare it to would be me coming into rap in 1993 with Dre's Chronic album.  But imagine if Dre's NWA material was actually better than his work he did later with Death Row.  And you went back and heard Efil4zaggin, how much of a revelation that shit would be for you.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: A lot of younger kids ages 10-20 think Eminem's came out with Recovery
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:13:58 AM »
I was ten in 2003, along with everyone who I grew up with & every fuck & their mother knew about Eminem.

It's pretty hard to not hear about him. Which is why this doesn't make sense to me. It's the common human way. It's just like if you were ten-eleven-twelve & Recovery was the first album you heard, you have heads just like you who will tell them "Well, this is whatever, but the MMLP was the best album of all-time". Then naturally they listen to it. However, I know kids younger than me who think the current Eminem is better than the old Eminem. It's also human nature. It's similar to your boy NIK. He missed Jordan play & Kobe was the guy to watch, therefore he thinks Kobe is the best ever. Then you have some guy who watched Bird play & he'll tell you Bird is undeniably the best. People just want to believe that they are witnessing the best & that people who didn't see what they saw are inferior.

& I can't even lie, 2003 is when I first really started to get into Rap & by the end of the year, I had everything he put out, including Infinite lol. But when I heard 50 for the first time, I thought he was incredible. Then people like you said, listen to Tupac & Nas & I understood the difference. Point being, it's not like people my age just went from '03-'10 not hearing about Eminem until Recovery. & what about Encore, Curtain Call (which would had led them to his older shit) & Relapse?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:08:35 AM »
I was ten in 2003, along with everyone who I grew up with & every fuck & their mother knew about Eminem.

It's pretty hard to not hear about him. Which is why this doesn't make sense to me. It's the common human way. It's just like if you were ten-eleven-twelve & Recovery was the first album you heard, you have heads just like you who will tell them "Well, this is whatever, but the MMLP was the best album of all-time". Then naturally they listen to it. However, I know kids younger than me who think the current Eminem is better than the old Eminem. It's also human nature. It's similar to your boy NIK. He missed Jordan play & Kobe was the guy to watch, therefore he thinks Kobe is the best ever. Then you have some guy who watched Bird play & he'll tell you Bird is undeniably the best. People just want to believe that they are witnessing the best & that people who didn't see what they saw are inferior.

& I can't even lie, 2003 is when I first really started to get into Rap & by the end of the year, I had everything he put out, including Infinite lol. But when I heard 50 for the first time, I thought he was incredible. Then people like you said, listen to Tupac & Nas & I understood the difference. Point being, it's not like people my age just went from '03-'10 not hearing about Eminem until Recovery. & what about Encore, Curtain Call (which would had led them to his older shit) & Relapse?

your case is different, because you said you were listening to him back in 2003.

also your case is different, because these are regular kids and not kids who spend a lot of time on a hip-hop forum.  So their knowledge base when it comes to hip-hop is maybe 10% what yours is

Pgb

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:30:39 AM »
The worst is that Recovery is not even a good album. There's good song sure but it just feels like a pop/mainstream album.

MistaNova

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Kinda reminds me of when a lot of kids (including me) thought Snoop came out with Drop it Like It's Hot. Only to be blown away at his past discography...

kids who spend a lot of time on a hip-hop forum.
Kids spend time on hip hop forums? In my day we would build huge treehouses and battle adult tyranny.

Though I consider the kids you're talking about lucky. If they look into Em's past works, the music that goes into their ears can only get better...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 08:04:32 AM by Iveus »

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »
Everyone knows about Em, regardless if your a hip hop fan or not.

Okka

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 10:40:27 AM »
Everyone knows about Em, regardless if your a hip hop fan or not.

Exactly. Infinite is just' talkin' nonsense again.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 10:43:33 AM »
Well, it's all about perspective. I think about all the classic R&B, soul, funk, and other music from the 60's and 70's that I didn't truly get connected with until my late teenage years and it's not much difference.

It's weird to think about hip-hop from the perspective of these kids who were born around or after when it really engulfed the mainstream. It's crazy with having been around when it was boomboxes, tapes, and scratching to see it evolve into this whole other movement in the 90's. For me as a late grade-schooler and going into Junior High, I would hear shit like "Keep Ya Head Up" or the like on the radio and it was just this whole other feeling. It didn't even dawn on me that this was rap. It had the same feelings behind it as some this other pop music. So to me, it's crazy to try and think about how it was for people who grew up or became interested in a time when it was already over-saturated.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
Lol man so true. My girl's lil brother liked Relapse then went nuts over Recovery. One day I said "yo listen to the real eminem" and handed him a copy of The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show. Dude couldn't believe it lol. So now he thinks Eminem is just the greatest thing to ever happen to music.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:05:07 AM »
there may be some truth to this, but its only idiots who dont even care enough about music to check out an artists old albums. anyway dont worry cause when u grow up wont be hanging around with anyone under 20 so it wont matter lol

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »
Well, Im 17 and I dont really agree with you. I dont even mean myself, but people arround my enviroment - almost everybody knew Eminem for years, even before his drug addiction (when 'The Eminem Show' was coming out, he had big buzz, him and D12 was aired a lot on MTV, which everybody watched back then, Em has been known by almost everybody).. Its more about interest in him, I didnt see many people listening to 'Eminem Show' or his previous albums, but 'Recovery' cought more people, becouse it fit in better to todays culture. Or at least its how i see that. His previous albums was great, but not for everybody, now all emos and other teenagers, with no taste, manipulated by mainstream media listen to what is given to them, and that was 'Recovery'.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
lol, i mean you do live in canada right? so its no surprise.

but recovery lmao

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:42:15 AM »
This isn't an "agree or disagree" thread.  It's a fuckin fact.  Teenage kids around my way heard Recovery and thought Eminem was fuckin awesome.  They really had no idea that he was actually an artist who was way past his prime.  Then some of the more sincere fans went back and heard his older discography and were blown away.

These kids have a huge advantage over our generation in this regard, because they have youtube.  I know if I would of had youtube it would of taken me about one day after seeing "Wit A Dre Day" and I would of been checking out tracks from Efil4zaggin and Straight Out Of Comptom.  But instead I was wandering around record stores debating on whether or not to buy "Concrete Roots", lol. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:47:13 AM »
They had Youtube for like five years before "Recovery" even came out. Why was "Recovery" the first album they heard? lol.

Your logics never make sense.

Greenbrigade

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 11:50:57 AM »
Theres no way a 17-20 year old could think Recovery was Eminems first album. If they do they've obviously lived a very sheltered life.