Author Topic: Yanks rout A's with MLB record three slams  (Read 152 times)

MistaNova

Yanks rout A's with MLB record three slams
« on: August 26, 2011, 05:30:06 AM »
Cano cuts deficit to one; Martin's second homer changes lead

NEW YORK -- The new Yankee Stadium has been friendly to power hitters since its doors opened, and the Yankees enjoyed a romp through history on Thursday that was never done in the old place -- or any ballpark, for that matter.

The Yankees became the first team in Major League history to belt three grand slams in a single game, as Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson and Russell Martin each went deep with the bases loaded in a 22-9 pounding of the Athletics.

"It's pretty amazing," Martin said. "This game has been played for a long time. Pretty much everything has already happened. I'm waiting to see who's going to hit four -- I don't know if it's ever going to happen, but we'll see. Three is pretty cool."

Cano was the first of the grand-slamming trio to clear the fences, slugging a fifth-inning blast off A's starter Rich Harden that closed the Yankees to within one run in a game they trailed, 7-1, after three innings.

Martin started New York's climb back with a fourth-inning solo homer off Harden, then gave the Yankees the lead with his third career grand slam, a laser into the right-field seats off Fautino de Los Santos in the sixth.

"Having the bases loaded a couple of times on a day when you're feeling pretty good is definitely fun," said Martin, who set career highs with five hits and six RBIs.

With the Yankees leading by nine runs in the eighth, Granderson completed the trifecta with a line drive toward the right-field bullpen off Bruce Billings, immediately followed by an Andruw Jones solo homer that completed New York's barrage.

"You have to be pretty fortunate to be able to do that," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "You've got to get the bases loaded a lot. It's a pretty crazy accomplishment when you think about it, three grand slams in one game."

Granderson peeked around a teammate in the Bombers' dugout to see a scoreboard notification of the Major League record, grinning widely with amazement at the history of the feat.

"When I saw it, I was like, 'Oh, wow,'" Granderson said. "I'm surprised it hasn't been done before, just with all the great teams and great individual hitters that have come throughout the course of the game."

Read The Rest Here: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_25_oakmlb_nyamlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=nyy

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Yanks rout A's with MLB record three slams
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:21:45 AM »
I love the Yankees. 8)

goRaiders

• Lil Geezy
Re: Yanks rout A's with MLB record three slams
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:31:22 PM »
fuck the yankmees
Your raps all lazy, Jigga the Black Scorcese