Author Topic: NYers Talking about Jay Z on E40's level  (Read 1280 times)

KURUPTION-81

Re: NYers Talking about Jay Z on E40's level
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 12:10:04 AM »
Its cool  to hate on jay in this forum . Jay is clearly  the better Mc, though 40 is a legend  is his own right

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Sccit

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 12:44:07 AM »
Its cool  to hate on jay in this forum . Jay is clearly  the better Mc, though 40 is a legend  is his own right

better mc in what way? e40 originated his own style of rap, while jay-z got his steez off others.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 02:33:17 AM »

better mc in what way? e40 originated his own style of rap, while jay-z got his steez off others.

When heads talk about the GOAT Jay Z will always get a mention, you can't say the same for E-40. Every album Jay has a different flow, he's the king of the triple entendre and is a sick story teller. C'mon I don't even say why I'm debating this, it's obvious.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 04:02:45 AM »

What he said. Although I do love 40 Water.

bouli77

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2011, 05:02:13 AM »
I guess Cali has the best cracc haha, fucc that platinum Shit tho that don't make you the best in hiphop, speak about them bars, Jay eat 40 easy.  Stop confusing style with rhyme skill.  Both equals do they thang tho Yell

+1. and i'm an e-40 fan, i bump 40 over jay all day but gotta admit that Jay is the better rapper and lyricist. 40 is an acquired taste, he's innovative, his style is very elaborate and all and he is one of the most unsung rappers other rappers took elements from (esp. rappers from the midwest & south) but really Jay-Z is ahead in terms of delivery, consistence, lyricism, play on words, pun, wit, etc.

Okka

« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 07:02:55 AM »
E-40 isn't for everybody and i gotta admit that i never got into his music. I've tried listenin' to him, but i just don't like his style at all.

Sccit

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 11:49:16 AM »

When heads talk about the GOAT Jay Z will always get a mention, you can't say the same for E-40. Every album Jay has a different flow, he's the king of the triple entendre and is a sick story teller. C'mon I don't even say why I'm debating this, it's obvious.

LOL, he wont be mentioned as the greatest amongst real hip-hop heads, only casual hip-hop fans...E40 is mentioned as the king of the bay and a hip-hop pioneer. now, obviously, the bay doesnt get as much love as NY...but even still, Jay-Z is not a pioneer, he's a biter and he follows trends, rather than setting them. he swagger jacked every1 from Biggie to Big L...E40 is an original act and a pioneer in the game. legendary in hip-hop for what he's done in the bay. Nas>>>>>>Jay-Z.

TerryMak

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2011, 12:00:27 PM »

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »
E-40 is an undeniable Hip-Hop legend and one of the pioneers but Jay-Z will go down in history as one of the Top 5 to ever do it...

in terms of popularity or in terms of quality? cuz in terms of quality, i can name 50 rappers better than jay-z off top.

50 rappers better than Jay-Z off top? C'mon now. Only casual hip hop fans consider Jay-Z one of the greatest? That's just wrong buddy. Most rappers themselves herald Jay-Z at the top of their list, are they not real hip-hop heads? I consider myself a very open minded hip-hop head, and I can honestly say I've been listening to Jay-Z since 1996 when I was 12 years old and I bought his first album (was digging his shit on the Nutty Professor soundtrack). I am not a casual fan that jumped on board when Big Pimpin dropped.

E-40 has never and will never come close to an album like The Blueprint or The Black Album. Hell, Reasonable Doubt shits all over E-40's career.

No offense to 40 Water, I love him, but this is one of the worst comparisons in rap one could ever make. I bought Hall of Game before E-40 even really popped off as the super commercial artist he has become. I've been listening to this guy since I was a kid. Half of E-40's raps make no sense (doesn't mean they don't sound dope), and Jay-Z has continued to be likely the most consistent emcee of all time. He is 41 going on 42 years old and he will still shit on just about every emcee. Rappers get wack when they get older but pretty much the opposite happened with Jay-Z. He just dropped one of the year's best albums with Kanye.

E-40 is simply a rapper out for a hit. He's big in the club scene, but he's not a rapper that drops full-listenable concept albums, nor is he a rapper that has any kind of message other than being hyphy, silly, and partying.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:20:21 PM by Enigma »

Sccit

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
E-40 is an undeniable Hip-Hop legend and one of the pioneers but Jay-Z will go down in history as one of the Top 5 to ever do it...

in terms of popularity or in terms of quality? cuz in terms of quality, i can name 50 rappers better than jay-z off top.

50 rappers better than Jay-Z off top? C'mon now.

E-40 has never and will never come close to an album like The Blueprint or The Black Album. Hell, Reasonable Doubt shits all over E-40's career.

No offense to 40 Water, I love him, but this is one of the worst comparisons in rap one could ever make. Half of E-40's raps make no sense, and Jay-Z has continued to be likely the most consistent emcee of all time. He is 41 going on 42 years old and he will still shit on just about every emcee. Rappers get wack when they get older but pretty much the opposite happened with Jay-Z. He just dropped one of the year's best albums with Kanye.

E-40 is simply a rapper out for a hit. He's big in the club scene, but he's not a rapper that drops full-listenable concept albums, nor is he a rapper that has any kind of message other than being hyphy, silly, and partying.

dont get me wrong, i do think jay-z is a skiled rapper, and "reasonable doubt" is a classic (his best album)... he's just overrated as a muthafucka. he's not amongst the GOATs, there are tons of people who would go on the all-time great list ahead of him. as far as E40, i dunno if uve heard "In a Major Way" or "Hall of Game", but 40 has a long catalogue with classics, as well.. and he pretty much runs the bay area right now. so it's not unreasonable to put them in the same echelon. i, personally, would rather bump a dope 40 track over some jay-z, any day of the week.

rakim
nas
method man
brotha lynch
2pac
mac dre
tech n9ne
andre 3000
jayo felony
ice cube

there's 10 rappers better than jay-z, and it took me 10 seconds to type.

biggie
big pun
scarface
krs-1
big l
kurupt
wc
gza
rza
ghostface

10 more, took me another 10 seconds...i can keep goin and goin. bottom line, jay is not a top 5 rapper of all time...not by a long shot.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »
I don't even no how such a comparison even gets made, let alone inspires any real debate. It's two compeletely different styles. There's this diversity to hip-hop that people just aren't with at all. You have these rappers with such unique styles and people want to compare them to some other rapper for just some weird pissing contest. It's like comparing Busta Rhymes to Nas, how do you even decide the criteria?

Jay-Z is that dude to hate. It's kind of like Eminem. It will never be comfortable for a hip-hop head to acknowledge how dope someone is if they are on MTV and have a pop crossover fanbase (unless they are dead and happened to be named Tupac). If someone says either of those two in list of great artists, it reads like they don't listen to "real hip-hop". E-40 is a dope-ass rapper but how exactly is Jay not on his level? Because 40 creates slang?

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
C'mon Nik, Jayo Felony? WC? Brotha Lynch? Yes all dope rappers but you're comparing your own personal tastes with impact in the game, you only need to read the majority of responses in this thread to know that it's not just "casual fans" that herald Jay Z as one of the dopest. The fact that casual fans have been thinking Jay is one of the dopest for over 10 years or so shows how big his reach is. Your typical commercial emcee will fall off the face of the earth after a couple albums, someone who really has skill will remain relevant for decades.

Sccit

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
well, if the original poster is talkin about talent as far as a rapping goes, everyone i listed is a better rapper than jay-z...as far as impact on the game goes, e40 had a HUGE impact on the bay, and his impact extends way past that. he trademarked his own style of rap, while jay-z just bit others. jay-z didn't start trends and innovate, he bit and jacked his predecessors, and took it to the next level COMMERCIALLY...so yes, in terms of popularity and record sales, jay easiy takes the cake...but in terms of influence and rapping skills, e40 is better and more original...i have no problem if u prefer jay-z's music to e40's, they're two different styles, but i can definitely say i feel e40's ORIGINAL style over jay-z's BITTEN style.....

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2011, 04:59:39 PM »

50 rappers better than Jay-Z off top? C'mon now.

No offense to 40 Water, I love him, but this is one of the worst comparisons in rap one could ever make. Half of E-40's raps make no sense, and Jay-Z has continued to be likely the most consistent emcee of all time. He is 41 going on 42 years old and he will still shit on just about every emcee. Rappers get wack when they get older but pretty much the opposite happened with Jay-Z. He just dropped one of the year's best albums with Kanye.

dont get me wrong, i do think jay-z is a skiled rapper, and "reasonable doubt" is a classic (his best album)... he's just overrated as a muthafucka. he's not amongst the GOATs, there are tons of people who would go on the all-time great list ahead of him. as far as E40, i dunno if uve heard "In a Major Way" or "Hall of Game", but 40 has a long catalogue with classics, as well.. and he pretty much runs the bay area right now. so it's not unreasonable to put them in the same echelon. i, personally, would rather bump a dope 40 track over some jay-z, any day of the week.

rakim
nas
method man
brotha lynch
2pac
mac dre
tech n9ne
andre 3000
jayo felony
ice cube

there's 10 rappers better than jay-z, and it took me 10 seconds to type.

biggie
big pun
scarface
krs-1
big l
kurupt
wc
gza
rza
ghostface

10 more, took me another 10 seconds...i can keep goin and goin. bottom line, jay is not a top 5 rapper of all time...not by a long shot.

WC - no
GZA - no
RZA - no
Kurupt - no
Scarface - no
Jayo Felony - hell no
Mac Dre - RIP but absolutely not
Brotha Lynch - absolutely not
Method Man - dope, but has never EVER put out a good album.

You just have different tastes which is perfectly fine, but you can't compare artists that have only put out like 3-4 solo albums to someone with a catalog like Jay-Z's. And Kurupt from 2004-on can't hold a candle to Jay-Z (might I mention, Kurupt only has about 4-5 solo albums himself).

Not to mention most of the rappers you're naming have an incredible lack of depth as emcees.

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
And if you wanna talk about originality - 80% of the slang E-40 uses comes from Mac Shawn and you can ask E-40 that himself.