Author Topic: shame Nate Dogg threw away his talent on nonsense  (Read 1286 times)

Aladin

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: shame Nate Dogg threw away his talent on nonsense
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 01:19:23 AM »
He had some good songs.
Which I think he spoke from his heart.
Listen 2 "Music & Me" (the song not the album)
Oke he even there sings a few lines about  smokin, but he loved that, so cant  blame em.
I think that is one of his best solo-songs.
Beat, melody, style of singin.. blend in perfect.

Sccit

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 03:01:27 AM »
i dunno if u heard his solos, but he spit plenty real shit on those...seems like he saved the deeper stuff for himself and just partied in the studio when hookin up with other cats for their projects.

sofdark

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 03:23:24 AM »
It's a shame cause I remember reading an interview of Nate saying that he doesn't wanna be singing about bitches and hoes in his 50s or 60s (can't exactly recall which one).

Unfortunately, his life style wasn't so healthy. He still kept that gangsta persona till death though.

Aladin

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 03:32:52 AM »
It's a shame cause I remember reading an interview of Nate saying that he doesn't wanna be singing about bitches and hoes in his 50s or 60s (can't exactly recall which one).

I don't think you should talk about it ....when you are in your 30's. (And you were talking about it in your teens and twenties)
And when you are in your 40's, you only embarrass yourself.
When you look at some old cats.. like Ice-T. He used 2 be someone who I thought could be a combination of g-boss and thoughtfull at an older age.
But now looking at him, I think he is stuck in his role... trying 2 act 2 young for his age.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 05:51:25 AM »
i aint shittin on Ntae. Nate was an incredible talent, and it wasnt till  he passed, when i really realized what an incredible voice he had. vocal perfection -- he could ride any beat n switch any style/ any tempo naturally

i started listetnin to Nate cuz of that Dogg Pound Gangsta Crip-shit,,
but real is real
Nate Dogg was too good for that repittive shit in the longrun. he couldve expanded his platform, the fact that Nate will be remembered as that "hoes in diffrent area codes"-dude isnt right

i wanna hear those gospel-songs he did (unleaked)

But what you're failing to see was that was his niche. That's why we are talking about him right now. Yes, he could have been "another Charlie Wilson" or he could be "the one and only Nate Dogg". He did that kind of music because he wanted to. It ain't throwing away his talent. He built a legacy on that.

it wasnt his "niche/persona".
dude wanted to do gospel-music for christ sake.
he was just hangin around immature hoodlums on Death Row,, "yo, Nate -- gimme a hook about balls and bitches"

and then he was pigeonholed after that

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 06:27:05 AM by Michael Madsen »

thegooddoc

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
I loved Nate Dogg's singing, but to compare him to Luther or Mr. Biggs is ridiculous.  Luther had incredible range, and Mr. Biggs is an R&B legend. 

Nate could sing a gangsta hook like nobody else, but his vocal range wasn't the best.  As somebody pointed out, the reason he really stood out was his content. 

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 07:37:17 AM »
 I dunno he had lots of meaningful songs and love songs. The song with butch where they singing about being afraid of love is one example.

Mista Rosa

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 08:43:20 AM »
I feel you but why being the new this and that when he has established himself as an uncomparable artist, the one and only Nate Dogg ?

But I get what you say, to the basic hip hop listener Nate Dogg is just the guy singing catchy foolish stuff. That makes him and his talent mad underrated. They should listen to his solo material especially G-Funk Classics.

I guess Nate was caught up in the Dogg Pound Gangsta Shit and was doing what was paying. When he tried to put out his first solo album in 1994 nobody at Death Row gave a fuck that's why he had to keep doing hooks and finally leave Death Row to put G-Funk classics out like 4 years after starting it.

But that's also something I loved about Nate's music. Him being row, hardcore and smooth on the same time with his hooks for other artists and then giving an insight on his personality and talking about his true feelings on his solo albums. It was like he was saving that for his true dedicated fans, I've always appreciated that.

And I think it's simple. First you do this for money, Nate was singing what the people that paid him wanted him to sing. Point blank.

He was going to the gospel route, more mature stuff, starting to 05-06. The Dre produced songs he recorded for his next solo album after Music & Me (Not the crapp "Nate Dogg" album) was soulful oriented, sounding like a 60's album. Prime talked about it when Nate let him listen to the Dre material and he was amazed how deep it was. Remember the "Leave it alone" track ?
He kept going on that route when he formed the In-Nate Praise gospel choir. He was heavyly involved in it, he did not just give his name to some random group, he organized the castings and chose the people who would be a part of the group.
And as Madsen said the last music he recorded was strickly gospel music. Somebody needs to leak it or better, release it properly!!

So Nate was really about to show his mature side with grown folk music before his health issue and death.

BTW somebody has reliable info on the EP which is supposed to be coming ?? Warren G is supposed to take care of it but he's like always on the road.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:49:01 AM by Mista Rosa »
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

Cordozzar Drakko

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 09:51:16 AM »
90percent of his musical catalogue is about -- balls, hoes, dicks, bitches, nuts, cum-swallowing etc etc etc just ignorant braindead nonsense  :grumpy:
u figurd duke should be like the mature/wise man out the bunch, since he was like the oldest guy in the dogg pound ,,,
amazin talent wit a 1-of-a-kind voice, but i wish he wouldve evolved his artistic integrity a bit n steppd up his pengame.

wit tha bein said, really lookin forward to the new Nate dogg EP

Any more info on that new ep you mention?

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 10:12:04 AM »
Let's be real. None of you would be fans of his if he hadn't been a part of gangsta rap. lol I doubt any of you even listen to gospel in the first place.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 10:52:33 AM »
90percent of his musical catalogue is about -- balls, hoes, dicks, bitches, nuts, cum-swallowing etc etc etc just ignorant braindead nonsense  :grumpy:
u figurd duke should be like the mature/wise man out the bunch, since he was like the oldest guy in the dogg pound ,,,
amazin talent wit a 1-of-a-kind voice, but i wish he wouldve evolved his artistic integrity a bit n steppd up his pengame.

wit tha bein said, really lookin forward to the new Nate dogg EP

Any more info on that new ep you mention?
warren g said it was coming in the summer of 2011, but its still not out.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2011, 11:56:48 AM »
Let's be real. None of you would be fans of his if he hadn't been a part of gangsta rap. lol I doubt any of you even listen to gospel in the first place.

Thank you.

Lil Sleazy

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
It's a shame he didn't get to do as much gospel as he probably wanted to.

But it's also really awesome that he made all that "nonsense" music for us to enjoy!

Quadruple OG

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
1) Wasn't Nate going towards the Gospel route before the strokes? I remember reading how he was gravitating towards his gospel roots before he had the first stroke

2) That "nonsense" fathered Akon and T-Pain's careers. Say what you want about the content but if he's making bank talking about Hoe's, Balls, and Bitches, more power to him. I have a feeling Nate would rather be making money singing about hoes than he would selling insurance 9-5 every day.

Lil Sleazy

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2011, 12:23:40 PM »
I have a feeling Nate would rather be making money singing about hoes than he would selling insurance 9-5 every day.

I think he was pretty happy singing about hoes when he was young. This is what he said in an interview in 2001:

Aries: Among all you collaborations, which do you like the best & why?
Nate: I would have to say "Ain't No Fun" with Snoop (Dogg). That time in the studio was just fun, it was a lot of good memories.