Author Topic: 90's hip-hop Journalist Kevin Powell straight up dissed me on facebook, check it  (Read 4097 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Remember this guy was on the first Real World and he did a lot of excellent work on 2pac for Vibe magazine in the 90's and also did a lot of work over at MTV documenting hip-hop.  So here's what went down, I don't know what to make of it, so I'll just copy and paste the exchange we had...

I made this comment on this dude's wall giving him props, here's what I said...

Me-  "I remember you as being the best hip-hop journalist out there when I was growing up in the 90's. I'd be curious to read any recent articles you may have about the decline of hip-hop over the last decade or so (if you still write about hip-hop at all)."

Then, this was his reply....

Kevin Powell-  "Your past is important to reflect upon from time to time, to learn and grow from, but then you gotta come right back into the present, with a plan of action for the future. When I encounter those who are stuck in the past, only want to talk about the past, want to drag you back to the past, I find the nearest exit in my mind, eventually, and I am out. No time for being stuck. Forward, always. Life is too short to dwell on things that happened, or that we cannot change. Good memories are important, but more important to create new good memories."

He even made it a separate post for everyone to read and told me it was a response to me, so then I replied...

"I hope you didn't take my comments about 90's and hip-hop's decline the wrong way. The main point of my post was just to give you props, because of facebook I had a way to directly give you props. I am 29 and I was a 90's teenager and when it came to hip-hop journalism in that decade you were like the #1 journalist documenting the culture. And I really appreciate you giving such great thought to work and playing a big role in elevating the culture in those years. But I respect you for not wanting to live in the past, no worries if you want to move on to different things."

And then he just ignored my second attempt to try to explain myself and that was the end of it.  This was the only interaction I've had with him.  (besides just being in the audience at one of his lectures several years ago, but he wouldn't of remembered me from that).

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Jome

That's not a diss, he's just saying "Let the past remain that; the past, and let bygones be bygones", or whatever it is you Americans say.

And I agree, there's enough people mourning and rambling on about how everything was better in the 90's, and in the 90's everybody was complaining about everything being better in the 80's.

As Slaughterhouse once said: "Move on".

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

and in the 90's everybody was complaining about everything being better in the 80's.

^
correctomundo,
i remmeber one of those old Funkmaster Flex tapes, "60 minutes of funk",,, n i think it was on VOl 1 (released in 1995); when KRS-One said ""hiphop is dead, not what it used to be",, or some similar shit like taht on his freestyle.. keep in mind, he said this durin the  so-called "golden era"

Triple OG Rapsodie

there's enough people mourning and rambling on about how everything was better in the 90's, and in the 90's everybody was complaining about everything being better in the 80's.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
He was 100% right

kemizt

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Yeah, really. It's not a diss. You just think it is because you hear it from us everyday. Just grow up.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
That's not a diss, he's just saying "Let the past remain that; the past, and let bygones be bygones", or whatever it is you Americans say.

No way homie, I definitely take it as a diss. 

I mean I was a true fan of his work, and I was even recognizing him as the best in his field for what he was doing.  And if you can't even say thank you or give the least recognition to that, then that shit is a straight up disrespect.

Im not going to diss him back because that would just be my ego talking.  I still have to appreciate him for what he's done and not diss him back just because he dissed me.  But I definitely lost respect for who he is now... but as for what he's done in the past I don't want to take anything away from him.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround

I mean I was a true fan of his work, and I was even recognizing him as the best in his field for what he was doing.  And if you can't even say thank you or give the least recognition to that, then that shit is a straight up disrespect.

Im not going to diss him back because that would just be my ego talking.  I still have to appreciate him for what he's done and not diss him back just because he dissed me.  But I definitely lost respect for who he is now... but as for what he's done in the past I don't want to take anything away from him.
Are you nuts?

Fraxxx

Are you nuts?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Exactly!
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Will_B

Dear Infinite, I meant to write you sooner but I just been busy
Don't think I did that shit intentionally just to diss you

Triple OG Rapsodie

Heard your ex was pregnant, she took all your money didn't she?
You never visited your son, he must've missed you
Now they tear up your postcards from Africa, just to diss you

Portugoal

That's not a diss. He just tells you that you should remember that time as being a great period of time and that that will never come back again.

In 10 years the Lunatics and the BloodMoneys will tell everyone that T.I. and Rick Ross were great rappers. It is what it is.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Heard your ex was pregnant, she took all your money didn't she?
You never visited your son, he must've missed you
Now they tear up your postcards from Africa, just to diss you

LOL.  Funny that telling someone you appreciate their work translates into being a homosexual in your world.   I'm just curious if you have any friends if your that paranoid of even telling another guy you think that they are good at something that they do.

Jimmy H.

Well then you are the one CHOOSING to take it as a diss. He actually dropped a little knowledge your way and it seems you lack the maturity to now what to do with it.