Author Topic: what is j dilla (jay dee) s best beat?  (Read 589 times)

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: what is j dilla (jay dee) s best beat?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2011, 04:34:28 AM »
I really don't think its possible to answer this question with any conviction.

What I will say is, I found it odd that the original poster said 'most people will probably say Runnin'...really? Runnin is actually a very simplistic beat

yea, its simplistic,, so?
its a classic song, n dilla-production

that guy rarely knows what hes talking about mike, he parades around here like hes on a more sophisticated level of listening. also hes not american and one must consider that when judging another guys views on subjects like music and movies sports etc.

Haha says a guy called 'Petey The Great' who makes threads about 'white supergroups' and chuckles at english spelling of words without realising that there was an americanisation of the english language that occurred over on your land because people found it too difficult to speak/write it in a proper manner. I shall continue to parade.

I actually LOVE the beat for 'Runnin' by the way, I wasn't stating it as a negative for the beat at all, I was just simply suggesting that of all the HUNDREDS of beats that Dilla did in his whole life, that its odd a beat like that would be considered his greatest. Its a truly superb song though.

Just to continue the debate without allowing Petey's pointless sidebar to bother it (really? because I'm not an american my opinion is somewhat less important? Unbelievably ignorant statement!), I'd offer up J-Dilla's best work as being mostly on Slum Village's first two LPs. So many better emcees and SONGS were created with other artists, of course, but I think his beats on Fantastic Vols 1 & 2 as entire bodies of work are almost unrivalled.

Both the original and the remix of 'Fall-N-Love' are probably what I'd say is the essence of Dilla. He's had so many fucking bangers though.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2011, 04:38:40 AM »
Its a collab though, not sure who did what

Yeah I always wonder who really produced what out of The Ummah. Sometimes you can kind of tell (like for example I'd say the song "Ital (The Universal Side)" by The Roots, which is credited to The Ummah, sounds like Q-Tip's work) but they did a lot of great tracks together regardless. Same with Tribe really. Always wonder how much of the beats are Ali Shaheed Muhammad and how much is Q-Tip.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »
homie i got about half way through your first paragraph.

im sure all that shit could have been summed up in a few short sentences...thats your problem you try to hard to come off like this worldy musical hip hop scholar and all it does is make you come off like a some snobby wanna be hip hop douche bag.

it dont take four paragraphs to say " i didnt care for that song" but parade if you must if that makes you feel whole im just trying to talk a little hip hop not discuss and outline the culture every opportunity i get like some of the more pretentious posters on this forum.

GATMAN

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2011, 12:40:16 AM »
He was the best at chopping up samples  8)

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 03:26:08 PM »
homie i got about half way through your first paragraph.

im sure all that shit could have been summed up in a few short sentences...thats your problem you try to hard to come off like this worldy musical hip hop scholar and all it does is make you come off like a some snobby wanna be hip hop douche bag.

it dont take four paragraphs to say " i didnt care for that song" but parade if you must if that makes you feel whole im just trying to talk a little hip hop not discuss and outline the culture every opportunity i get like some of the more pretentious posters on this forum.

Because of the bit in bold I didn't read on myself at all. Why bother being here if we're not reading? End of dialogue.

Funkstradamus

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 09:59:01 PM »
He was the best at chopping up samples  8)

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 10:55:42 PM »

What I will say is, I found it odd that the original poster said 'most people will probably say Runnin'...really? Runnin is actually a very simplistic beat

that guy rarely knows what hes talking about mike, he parades around here like hes on a more sophisticated level of listening. also hes not american and one must consider that when judging another guys views on subjects like music and movies sports etc.

Haha says a guy called 'Petey The Great' who makes threads about 'white supergroups' and chuckles at english spelling of words without realising that there was an americanisation of the english language that occurred over on your land because people found it too difficult to speak/write it in a proper manner. I shall continue to parade.

I actually LOVE the beat for 'Runnin' by the way, I wasn't stating it as a negative for the beat at all, I was just simply suggesting that of all the HUNDREDS of beats that Dilla did in his whole life, that its odd a beat like that would be considered his greatest. Its a truly superb song though.

Just to continue the debate without allowing Petey's pointless sidebar to bother it (really? because I'm not an american my opinion is somewhat less important? Unbelievably ignorant statement!), I'd offer up J-Dilla's best work as being mostly on Slum Village's first two LPs. So many better emcees and SONGS were created with other artists, of course, but I think his beats on Fantastic Vols 1 & 2 as entire bodies of work are almost unrivalled.

Both the original and the remix of 'Fall-N-Love' are probably what I'd say is the essence of Dilla. He's had so many fucking bangers though.

were u sippin on Earl Grey-tea, when u typed all of this?   ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:24:05 PM by Michael Madsen »

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 12:45:18 PM »

were u sippin on Earl Grey-tea, when u typed all of this?   ;)

Earl Grey tea with a scone on the side, yes.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 04:26:12 PM »
my heart dont pump no earl gray...is that understood?!?!

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »

+

=

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 04:36:34 PM by Michael Madsen »