Author Topic: Brandon Roy to reitre  (Read 247 times)

rayallen0

Brandon Roy to reitre
« on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:33 AM »
All-Star guard Brandon Roy has told Portland he plans on retiring because of ongoing trouble with his knees.

A five-year veteran who helped the team shed its "Jail Blazers" reputation, Roy has been dogged by pain for the past two seasons. He has said in the past that he lacks cartilage between the bones in both knees.

Acting general manager Chad Buchanan said the Trail Blazers were still looking at their options concerning Roy, including the amnesty clause in the NBA's new labor agreement.

Players were informed of Roy's surprising decision on Friday morning before the team's first practice of training camp.

"I couldn't believe it," Blazers forward Nicolas Batum said. "I still can't believe it."

Roy did not report to the Blazers' practice facility on Friday and his agent did not respond to a request for comment on any retirement plans. ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard and ESPN.com's Chad Ford first reported Roy's decision.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said Roy had not yet filed the appropriate paperwork with the league.

Coach Nate McMillan spoke to Roy on Thursday night and described him as disappointed.

"Of course, we know what he means to this franchise. He was part of bringing it back, bringing back winning basketball," McMillan said. "Unbelievable talent. You're sad to see a situation like this happen."

It sounded as if Roy was ready to go when Blazers president Larry Miller, McMillan and acting general manager Chad Buchanan held a news conference on Monday. Roy had met with team officials earlier that day and said he felt good and was ready to help the team in any way he could.

But it became apparent during a medical evaluation on Thursday that Roy's knees were not going to be able to handle another season.

"It's a tough situation," Blazers center Marcus Camby said. "People will say, 'Hey, he'll get his money.' But Brandon's a competitor."

Buchanan said late Friday that the team was exploring its options concerning both a formal medical retirement and amnesty for Roy, who signed a five-year maximum contract with the team in 2009. The clause would allow the team to waive Roy without having his salary count against the cap and luxury tax.

"We're somewhat in the infant stages of going through that process and getting that started," Buchanan said. "But (we're) very supportive of Brandon in all of this. It's a very difficult decision as you can imagine."

If the 27-year-old Roy files for medical retirement, insurance likely would take care of his salary in coming years. His salary would not count against the cap after one year.

Roy sat for stretches of last season because of soreness. He had arthroscopic surgery on both knees last January and finished the season with a career-low average of 12.2 points in 47 games.

Roy averaged 19 points, 4.7 assists and 4.3 rebounds for his career.

The sixth overall pick in the 2006 draft out of Washington, Roy was acquired by the Blazers in a draft-day trade. The 2007 NBA Rookie of the Year made the All-Star team from 2008-2010.

Nicknamed "The Natural" by the team's broadcasters, Roy has been the affable face of the franchise and remains popular among Portland fans.

In last season's first-round playoff series against the eventual NBA champion Dallas Mavericks, Roy shook off the pain and led Portland to a stunning 84-82 comeback victory in Game 4. He scored 18 of his 24 points in the fourth quarter as the Blazers erased a 23-point deficit.

But when it was over, Roy sounded defeated.

"This has just been a tough year, my most difficult as a Blazer," he said. "I tried to make the most of things. I can definitely say I honestly tried. I've given this team my best."

On Friday, Camby pointed up to the retired jerseys lining the rafters of the Blazers' practice facility.

"His number belongs up there," Camby said. "That's all I can say."

Portland has to be the unluckiest team ever between Oden over Durant and Roy's injury. This seriously bums me out. Roy was an amazing player and had a great future before this. I'm...just damn. IMO he was the 3rd best SG behind Wade & Kobe in his prime a few years back and was only getting better. Sucks how things turn out.

Sccit

Re: Brandon Roy to reitre
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »
bowie over jordan=oden over durant. bill walton=brandon roy....portland=curse of the nba

they shoulda stuck 2 bein the jailblazers...that part of the curse was actually entertaining.

rayallen0

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 02:22:37 AM »
bowie over jordan=oden over durant. bill walton=brandon roy....portland=curse of the nba

they shoulda stuck 2 bein the jailblazers...that part of the curse was actually entertaining.
I'm just hoping Aldridge hearts doesn't blow up now....

The Portland Trail Blazers and Greg Oden agreed to a restructured one-year contract after the oft-injured center had another setback during his rehabilitation from microfracture surgery on his left knee.

oh great. Oden stay healthy for once.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:25:51 AM by rayallen0 »

TheRemedy360Ressurection

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:48:31 PM »
God damn I wish Portland had taken Durant and OKC was stuck with fragile fuckin Oden. Sucks about Roy though, classy guy, definitely didn't deserve this.