Author Topic: 50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Trying: The Official Cliche Joint  (Read 721 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Trying: The Official Cliche Joint
« on: January 28, 2003, 05:28:58 PM »
didn't see any other threads... so here goes :\

blargh... well here it is in all its... ahem... glory.

1. Intro
2. What Up Gangsta
3. Patiently Waiting ft. Eminem
4. Many Men (Wish Death)
5. In Da Club
6. High All The Time
7. Heat
8. If I Cant
9. Blood Hound ft. Young Buc
10. Back Down
11. Pimp
12. Like My Style ft. Tony Yayo
13. Poor Lil Rich
14. 21 Questions ft. Nate Dogg
15. Don't Push Me ft. Eminem & Lloyd Banks
16. Gotta Get
17. Wanksta
18. U Not Like Me
19. Life's On The Line

intro is ... there, nothing bad or good.

"What Up Gangsta" starts us off. The beat is solid, if unspectacular. The hook is really annoying... as is the repetition at the end... rhymes themselves are okay... nothing special... beat actually gets better as it fades out. "Patiently Waiting" hmm... judging from these 2 joints they basically took an eminem album and let 50 rhyme on the beats. The beat is good though. Don't think it fits 50 very well, but basically anyone could sound nice on this... The hook is... eh... inoffensive, but not good. Eminem... wait for it... murders him on his own ****  ... couldn't resist. 50 doesn't say anything that anyone else couldn't say better. "Made Men" has potential... but the drum track seems patched on... the rest of the beat is really nice... has a dope atmosphere to it... the drums just kinda ruin it for me. 50 compares himself to Ali in this song... which is so laughable on so many levels I'm not even going to get into it... The hook is decent... 50 actually has something to say on this track, which is a nice change. Still don't care much for the way he says it, but he gets points for effort.
"In The Club" is a perfect example of an amazing beat carrying a song. What does 50 bring to this joint that Knocturnal, Hittman, Eminem or anyone else in Dre's camp couldn't have done as well? "High All The Time" showcases some good production that fits 50's voice very well... the drums are still lazy as **** (basically a signature of Eminem's beats) but everything else about the beat is well done. Song is nothing new for content at all, but gets points for asthetic appeal.
"Heat" zzzzz... could there be a more cookie-cutter "gangsta" joint? although there's probably more use of gun sound effects on this track than anywhere i can remember... the beat is decent enough, although the gun sounds are annoying as ****... once again 50 brings nothing to the table lyrically, or subject matter wise. if you're gonna rhyme about "the hood" at least do it in a way that's interesting or original. This isn't 1988 and you're not Eazy E. "If I Cant" i'm sure there's a point to this song... i just can't figure out what it is... 50 just babbles about gangsta ****, as he does for a bunch of this album. the beat is okay... hook is decent... but what's really there as a song?
"Blood Hound" here's the requisite bounce track. .... apparently 50's gonna shoot a bunch of people. Welcome to 1992. Seriously, I'm guessing the appeal of this stuff is that all the kids jocking it now were too young to be into NWA/Cube/Spice 1/DPG back in the day... Young Buc is lame....
"Back Down" good production... without the horrible drums this time... generally a good song, despite the fact that the subject matter is once again, the same tired ****.
"Pimp" mmm... okay. The beat is ridiculously lame... ditto the hook. say something different for the love... or at least say it in an interesting way... "Like My Style" continues the shift in sounds... beat isn't bad... but the hook is crap. 50 says... well... nothing. he's gonna score with some chicks though, which is good to know.
"Poor Lil Rich" i don't like the beat at all... 50 sounds the same as usual on this song... in that he's bad, but not offensively so like Ja Rule. He's just kind of there... replace him with someone else and the song would probably be better, although the beat on this is weak. "21 Questions" has a nice little sample that reminds me of spanish guitar... not sure if thats what it is... Nate sounds okay... but not one of his better performances... not bad though... the concept of the song is somewhat interesting, and 50 manages to maintain my interest for the most part... pretty good song, or at the very least, best of the lot. Hook not good though.
"Don't Push Me" Eminem & Lloyd Banks guest... the beat is okay... the drums feel thrown on... which is too bad because the backbone of the track is dope... 50 and Lloyd Banks are inoffensive, but by no means dope... Banks is the better of the two, he rates as high as solid. Maybe I'm just grateful for a break from 50 Marbles-In-Mouth.. who actually manages to unslur/mumble for a fair chunk of this album.
"Gotta Get" the beat is eh... it picks up later in the song... 50 is well.. there. Not bad, but not good either. Another song where he's secondary to the beat... i dunno if this is what people call "charisma" in an mc... but to me he's just hanging around on the track... not a bad song, but no more than average.
"Wanksta" oh lord... i hated this song when it dropped... it didn't get any better... the beat is a throwaway... 50 is 50. I could care less at this point...
"U Not Like Me" beat is good, 50 is better on here than on most of the new joints. good song.
"Life On The Line" people always point to this song as one of his dope joints... its certainly better than basically anything on the album... he actually sounds energetic on here... this is probably a better indication of his potential than his album... too bad he couldn't follow through.

In the end, this album is lacking in a lot of areas. Some good banging beats for the club don't make an album dope... 50 says nothing for about 95 percent of this cd. It's all bustin guns, mackin hoes and generally talking **** about nothing... if this was 1991 this album would be up to par in terms of subject matter and maybe even lyrically, but this is 2003, i expect a lot more than people rehashing the same thing Snoop Doggy Dogg or Ice Cube or NWA did better 12-15 years ago. 50's hype will probably help him push units, but it also pushed expectations for this album way too high. You've got an inexperienced producer (Eminem) plus a guy who's never put out a major release (50) sitting down and churning out an album in a few months. It was probably doomed from the start. 50 isn't the worst rhymer on the planet, but he's mediocre at best now. Which is too bad because he showed potential earlier in his work to be a solid MC. Hopefully he can work back to that, but if this album sells well, i doubt it.

All in all, the production was okay, not great. The MCing was below average and the album felt very thrown together to me.

4.5/10.

Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
Re:50 Cent - Get Rich Or Die Trying: The Official Cliche Joint
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2003, 05:54:59 PM »
yeah the album is fucking horrible.

hopefully all the dickriding will end now.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

S.G.V.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2003, 05:55:48 PM »
i take cliches advice often..and hes been right everytime...ill have to check this to see...but i gotta feelin cliches right

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2003, 06:00:13 PM »
i take cliches advice often..and hes been right everytime...ill have to check this to see...but i gotta feelin cliches right
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

teecee

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2003, 06:44:41 PM »
Havent heard the album, but i don think it will be ALL THAT like most people do....however, its gotta be at least 5/10 man....and to say Em is an inexperienced producer is laughable now, cuz he has produced some incredible tracks lately (Lose Yourself, THe Cross, Run Rabbit Run come to mind)....and Wanksta is actually a dope beat (althought 50 still sucks on it)..ima go get this albu and holler......peace

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2003, 06:57:33 PM »
Havent heard the album, but i don think it will be ALL THAT like most people do....however, its gotta be at least 5/10 man....and to say Em is an inexperienced producer is laughable now, cuz he has produced some incredible tracks lately (Lose Yourself, THe Cross, Run Rabbit Run come to mind)....and Wanksta is actually a dope beat (althought 50 still sucks on it)..ima go get this albu and holler......peace

i gave him credit for having dope songs... he's still far to inexperienced to be handling whole albums, in my opinion... i didn't like the beat for Wanksta at all though.  I dunno man, it was just lacklustre as a whole... it reminded me of Kiss The Game Goodbye... it wasn't actively bad, it was just so unimpressive.

4. Warren G - Regulate
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
8. Nas - Illmatic

Trizz

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Cant spell the West wit out the ES
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 07:43:14 PM »
fuck yall yall complaining about how 50 album sounds
NWA snoop and dr dre 1992 and shit But number one
out in the westcoast Ya'll Do that same type of shit
only not as good as 92-96 but 50 came closer
then yall do now shit Oh and isnt dre n snoop back then
THE ORIGINAL DEATHROW? hmmm??? which yall pray
come back well it did jus from a mutha fuckin eastcoast
artist who did yall style better and even added some
eastern flavor to it Ha wit the westcoasts best producer
DR DRE not some underground nobody gives a fuck about
outside the bay area

EASTSIDE BIACH!

Love to the real nigga'z in the westcoast
yall know who yall is

Jome

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 07:46:11 PM »
Hmm, I also have a feeling that the album is gonna feel a little rushed..
But I also know that there's a least 7-10 quality tracks on there, so it's not less than a 6-7 of 10 at least.. of course considering that you like 50, and many people on this forum obviously doesn't.

I only heard quick through the album once, and I think this is the sorta album that grows on you.. still considering that you gotta like 50..

I think they should have released a 2-CD..

One with the old material from 50, that is not available to the mass-public.. because it shows a rawer 50, and some may say unpolished..
The 2 last tracks on GRODT is old, and it's quite different from much of his newer material.
The fact that I have 70-80 tracks with 50 Cent or so, that will not be on GRODT, proves that he has a lot of material to choose from.

2nd disc would be the Aftermath/Shady-disc, with Em & Dre-production, and feats. like Em, Nate, maybe Xzibit, Cube, and some more "celebrity-rappers"..
And a few newer tracks from Sha Money, maybe Trackmasters & Premo, and G-Unit in the supporting role.

S.G.V.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 07:51:37 PM »
fuck yall yall complaining about how 50 album sounds
NWA snoop and dr dre 1992 and shit But number one
out in the westcoast Ya'll Do that same type of shit
only not as good as 92-96 but 50 came closer
then yall do now shit Oh and isnt dre n snoop back then
THE ORIGINAL DEATHROW? hmmm??? which yall pray
come back well it did jus from a mutha fuckin eastcoast
artist who did yall style better and even added some
eastern flavor to it Ha wit the westcoasts best producer
DR DRE not some underground nobody gives a fuck about
outside the bay area

EASTSIDE BIACH!

Love to the real nigga'z in the westcoast
yall know who yall is
it seems like u write ur posts on acid...

The Watcher

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2003, 08:09:27 PM »
yeah.. this review was on point, just like the 'C True Hollywood Stories' review .. heh.
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 08:10:08 PM »
fuck all yall westcoast is whats up fool
yo i am no go peace piece what fuck yo
g-funk back in the day with death row
cool know whats up cause
yo im from the EAST COAST
eat chips and salsa cool like dat
what what what fuckin haters
we bring heat like the street
buffalo soldier dreadlock rasta
dirty G-G-G-G UNIT!
press rewind and recognize
hmmmmm? what what!

EAST SEDE BYATCH!

"you's wanksta and ain't no friend of mine"

"an ass like that gotta be one of a kind"

« Last Edit: January 28, 2003, 08:11:15 PM by WestCoastVeteran »

S.G.V.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2003, 08:12:20 PM »
fuck all yall westcoast is whats up fool
yo i am no go peace piece what fuck yo
g-funk back in the day with death row
cool know whats up cause
yo im from the EAST COAST
eat chips and salsa cool like dat
what what what fuckin haters
we bring heat like the street
buffalo soldier dreadlock rasta
dirty G-G-G-G UNIT!
press rewind and recognize
hmmmmm? what what!

EAST SEDE BYATCH!

"you's wanksta and ain't no friend of mine"

"an ass like that gotta be one of a kind"

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now this becomes to the best post ever...lol...damn

high lights were eat chips n salsa like that and buffalo soldier dread lock rasta(bob marely is tight but that shit was fuckin funny)...LMAO..
« Last Edit: January 28, 2003, 08:13:45 PM by S.G.V. Hates Ignorant Idiots »

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2003, 08:29:22 PM »
yeah.. this review was on point, just like the 'C True Hollywood Stories' review .. heh.

i was hoping we'd all agree to forget that fiasco  :P

i swear, i was hepped up on tylenol cold that day.

4. Warren G - Regulate
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
8. Nas - Illmatic

platinumk777

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2003, 08:47:07 PM »
50's hype will probably help him push units, but it also pushed expectations for this album way too high. You've got an inexperienced producer (Eminem) plus a guy who's never put out a major release (50) sitting down and churning out an album in a few months. It was probably doomed from the start. 50 isn't the worst rhymer on the planet, but he's mediocre at best now. Which is too bad because he showed potential earlier in his work to be a solid MC. Hopefully he can work back to that, but if this album sells well, i doubt it.

All in all, the production was okay, not great. The MCing was below average and the album felt very thrown together to me.

4.5/10.

Couldn't agree more. In fact, this album shows that 50 Cent does not have what not takes to make it big, or mainstream, if you will. Even I admit to having been caught up in the hype, but this CD got me back in touch with reality... 50 Cent is not good & underground is where this man belongs.
His voice & rapping became less and less enjoyable to listen to with each song. And I noticed that on quite a few songs, he sings the chorus, which sounded like shit. He's just not a rapper that stands out. The only songs I was looking forward to, as I was listening to it, were the ones that had guest appearances, cause I know 50 Cent just can't make ANY song work. And for those who expect controversy, I suggest you listen to your Eminem CDs, cause you won't find any here.
The beats are OK at best. They're the type that you would forget the next morning. Absolutely no song is catchy, other than In Da Club & Wanksta, I suppose. All the others sound similar.

Well, I guess the saying is true: fake gangstas make good rap songs, real gangstas don't, and since everyone insists that 50 is gangsta...

P Nelson

• 40 illa
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2003, 10:05:02 PM »
Im maybe one of the only one, but for the only songs I heard, I think the album aint that bad...

- 21 Questions (I didnt like)
- If I cant (I like)
- Pimp (I Like)
- Don't Push Me (Lyod is cool in this song)
- Back Down (I Like)
- In da Club (I Like)
- Heat (I didnt like)
- High All the time (Okay)

I didnt expect a classic from him, just a dope album, and so far, im satisfied... In the album, there's happy songs, and some more grimey ones, so yeah, sorry y'all but Im still waiting for the the album lol