Author Topic: What Was The First G-Funk Song?  (Read 1863 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: What Was The First G-Funk Song?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 01:33:52 PM »
yeah Erick Sermon is criminally slept on... I mean he's still getting a lot of props in the industry and is seen as a legend but few really realize and acknowledge his producing skills...
word.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

dnjp4life

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
'Call It What You Want' by Above The Law was the first song to mention the term 'g-funk' I think, by 2Pac no less.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned "The Formula" by DOC

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
yeah Erick Sermon is criminally slept on... I mean he's still getting a lot of props in the industry and is seen as a legend but few really realize and acknowledge his producing skills...

not slept-on, very aknowledged by hiphop-fans in general as a producer,,
hes not up there wit Pete or Primo, but his name holds weight,
EPMD has a huge fanbase to this day, and is ingraved in hiphop-history forever. songs like "So what u sayin" was like a slap in the face when it came out

but yeah,, i dont think the typical savant "Westcoast/Death Row/g-funk" fan would necessarily know alot bout the influence of classic albums like "unifinshed businees", & "Business As Usual" - which introduced interpolated p-funk in hiphop, like Parlaiment

as a "sub-genre" wit a name and a "theme", id say Cold 187um (ATL) came up wit "g-funk", before Dre jumped on the bandwagon and used Cold's breakbeats for "The Chronic" and monoplized the sound as the official "west coast"-thing

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:17:41 PM by Michael Madsen »

Quadruple OG

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »

not slept-on, very aknowledged by hiphop-fans in general as a producer,,
hes not up there wit Pete or Primo, but his name holds weight,
EPMD has a huge fanbase to this day, and is ingraved in hiphop-history forever. songs like "So what u sayin" was like a slap in the face when it came out

but yeah,, i dont think the typical savant "Westcoast/Death Row/g-funk" fan would necessarily know alot bout the influence of classic albums like "unifinshed businees", & "Business As Usual" - which introduced interpolated p-funk in hiphop, like Parlaiment

as a "sub-genre" wit a name and a "theme", id say Cold 187um (ATL) came up wit "g-funk", before Dre jumped on the bandwagon and used Cold's breakbeats for "The Chronic" and monoplized the sound as the official "west coast"-thing

To rap fans in 2012, he's slept on.

2euce 7even

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:30 PM »
YES!!so i was right when i thouzght "alwayz into somethin´" was the first thang done in that direction.
admiral d killed that shit.

yeah i Love the Admiral D part, beside the two Nwa feats, is there anything else from him ??

Boss-Born Gangsta (The Song)
MC Breed-Watch Ya Own Back

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 05:54:23 AM »
Erick Sermon is one of the originators of G-Funk, if you listen to his shit from 88 it sounds way ahead of its time, and it sampled a lot of P-Funk and electro funk like Zapp's More Bounce to the Ounce. I'd say Too $hort is the originator in terms of G-Funk, his early music on 75 girls records sounded G-Funk.
i wouldn't call sermon's early stuff g funk

Matty

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 07:58:58 AM »
personally i don't care much for the terminology...funky shit is funky shit :bandit:

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 09:30:58 AM »
Erick Sermon is one of the originators of G-Funk, if you listen to his shit from 88 it sounds way ahead of its time, and it sampled a lot of P-Funk and electro funk like Zapp's More Bounce to the Ounce. I'd say Too $hort is the originator in terms of G-Funk, his early music on 75 girls records sounded G-Funk.

eric sermon brought the zapp clapp to the forefront and put the idea in other producers heads to use it...imagine what dj quiks discography would sound like without the zapp clap? quik was using 808s when he first started which is the main snare and kick staple for the south right now. so while eric sermon didnt do g funk records persay his roots to parliament funkadelic zapp and just funk music in general run just as deep as any west coast producer.

stay real was such a dope ass track.

Nate Dogg's Rotting Corpse.

• 'G'
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 04:20:51 PM »

Yes it is me, rapper/singer Nate Dogg. I am communicating with you from beyond the grave using this forum as a medium. Heed my words.

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 02:11:31 AM »

Nah, that's not G-Funk, yeah its interpolating Zapp  (which a ton of G-Funk records did) but that's just basic hip-hop. The tempo on the track is the exact same as the real song (I know I Play the original like krazy).

G-Funk creators was ATL - Basically they invented G-Funk in a ruff Construct. N.W.As Niggaz4life album was essentially a template that sounded like G-Funk but was more of a stepping stone to the actual sound. Dr. Dres The Chronic isn't the originator, but is essentially G-Funk At it's most polish. If you Compare the track "Deep Cover" to "Black Mafia Life the production on both is G-Funk but they both sound ruff, The Chronic essentially smoothed out and master the style, hence why Dre's given credit. Its the same with Gangster Rap, Ice T, King T didn't invent the sound, it was Schoolly D and infact Ice T's 6 In the Morn track was more of a tribute (parody or whatever) to a School D Track. It's just they did it better, hence why they generally (wrongfully) get credit. Because The Chronic was way better then ATLs second album and their third one wasn't out yet, he got the credit. Deep Cover was also way more popular then ATLs second album.

ATL second album is consider the First G-Funk album, Course the term wasn't called G-Funk until Black Mafia LIfe (if I remember correctly). N.W.A's Records (and Dres productions) in the very early days wasn't  Funky and was infact Electro Dance records (Check out Dres Surgery, and N.W.As first record "The Panic Zone". Dre's production took a turn after the Beastie Boys dropped their record and he essentially took the sound from them for awhile (Check out C.I.A. EP in which Dre copies the style and Ice Cube just jacks The beasties style). Then Public Enemy took stage with its sound scape, Dre and N.W.A Copied the style, except they embraced the Gangsta Style, then with ATL started making records Dre took influenced and copied them.   

So the first G-Funk song is the first track recorded on ATLs second album I guess. 

The Predator

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 04:01:47 AM »

Nah, that's not G-Funk, yeah its interpolating Zapp  (which a ton of G-Funk records did) but that's just basic hip-hop. The tempo on the track is the exact same as the real song (I know I Play the original like krazy).

G-Funk creators was ATL - Basically they invented G-Funk in a ruff Construct. N.W.As Niggaz4life album was essentially a template that sounded like G-Funk but was more of a stepping stone to the actual sound. Dr. Dres The Chronic isn't the originator, but is essentially G-Funk At it's most polish. If you Compare the track "Deep Cover" to "Black Mafia Life the production on both is G-Funk but they both sound ruff, The Chronic essentially smoothed out and master the style, hence why Dre's given credit. Its the same with Gangster Rap, Ice T, King T didn't invent the sound, it was Schoolly D and infact Ice T's 6 In the Morn track was more of a tribute (parody or whatever) to a School D Track. It's just they did it better, hence why they generally (wrongfully) get credit. Because The Chronic was way better then ATLs second album and their third one wasn't out yet, he got the credit. Deep Cover was also way more popular then ATLs second album.

ATL second album is consider the First G-Funk album, Course the term wasn't called G-Funk until Black Mafia LIfe (if I remember correctly). N.W.A's Records (and Dres productions) in the very early days wasn't  Funky and was infact Electro Dance records (Check out Dres Surgery, and N.W.As first record "The Panic Zone". Dre's production took a turn after the Beastie Boys dropped their record and he essentially took the sound from them for awhile (Check out C.I.A. EP in which Dre copies the style and Ice Cube just jacks The beasties style). Then Public Enemy took stage with its sound scape, Dre and N.W.A Copied the style, except they embraced the Gangsta Style, then with ATL started making records Dre took influenced and copied them.   

So the first G-Funk song is the first track recorded on ATLs second album I guess. 

That sums it up correctly.

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 05:31:10 AM »
YES!!so i was right when i thouzght "alwayz into somethin´" was the first thang done in that direction.
admiral d killed that shit.

Also I feel you should know (since I saw your post about Cypress Hill)

Cypress Hills Debut Album had a huge influence on G-Funks soundscape. Dr. Dre drew influence from ATLs production techniques and basically combined it with the Cypress Hill Sound at the time. The Debut album was a direct inspiration to The Chronic and basically Hip-Hop and rap as a whole. Cypress Hills first 3 albums have highly advance production even by todays standards. 

Basically NWA Straight Outta Compton bares sound influence from Public Enemy, EMPD, Beastie Boys, and old school Electric Dance.

100 Miles and Runnin was Dr. Dre's last Up Tempo recording (allegedly) you can see hes clearly being influnced by ATLs style on the MC Ren track.

Nigga4life was basically a huge step up, but you can tell the difference between that record and the G-Funk sound. The Sampling is more dense on certain tracks, and less on others (Always into something as mentioned). It's basically a Beta G-Funk record. It's just another stride before Dr. Dre fully developed his portion of the sound.

When Cypress Hills Record dropped, Everything on that record got transfered into the chronic. The Funky Basslines, The sound effects, the sampling techniques a lot of stuff that became staples of hip hop.

Warren G pretty much invented a more soulful style of G-Funk

Too Short's Moob Music had a influence on the sound also.

Basically G-Funk is a combination of all these different variety of hip-hop combined to form one sound. That's why I think G-Funk is more advance in terms of Production and Sonic quality, mainly because it takes a lot of these things to make a True G-Funk record.  The DJ Quick Song "Tonight" as previously mentioned isn't G-Funk, but I Can see how it could be. The same shit happened with Ice Cubes The Predator album. The template was sorta like G-Funks except it was way more rugged and dense.

The successor to G-Funk today is Chicano Rap. It utilizes the same techniques, sounds and concepts. Except its not Truly G-Funk, It just sounds like it.   

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
vocally pimpin was supposedly g-funk, but always into something came out even before that. and i always thought the formula sounded like g-funk. but forreal, vocally pimpin and black mafia life are trash records compared to the chronic. always into something and 187 are much batter than any song off either of the atl records too. you might technically call what atl was doing at the time g funk, but in all honesty, it sounds nothing like the chronic

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 12:39:21 PM »

eric sermon brought the zapp clapp to the forefront and put the idea in other producers heads to use it...imagine what dj quiks discography would sound like without the zapp clap? quik was using 808s when he first started which is the main snare and kick staple for the south right now. so while eric sermon didnt do g funk records persay his roots to parliament funkadelic zapp and just funk music in general run just as deep as any west coast producer.

stay real was such a dope ass track.
true