Author Topic: What Was The First G-Funk Song?  (Read 1860 times)

HighEyeCue

Re: What Was The First G-Funk Song?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
vocally pimpin was supposedly g-funk, but always into something came out even before that. and i always thought the formula sounded like g-funk. but forreal, vocally pimpin and black mafia life are trash records compared to the chronic. always into something and 187 are much batter than any song off either of the atl records too. you might technically call what atl was doing at the time g funk, but in all honesty, it sounds nothing like the chronic

yeah NWA's album came out in May of 1991 while ATL's came out a few months later

but if you ask Big Hutch he will tell you who invented it :laugh:

The following users thanked this post: Dee Tha AK

2euce 7even

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2012, 11:58:25 PM »
What Came Out First The Chronic Or BML?

bouli77

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 01:32:35 AM »
YES!!so i was right when i thouzght "alwayz into somethin´" was the first thang done in that direction.
admiral d killed that shit.

Also I feel you should know (since I saw your post about Cypress Hill)

Cypress Hills Debut Album had a huge influence on G-Funks soundscape. Dr. Dre drew influence from ATLs production techniques and basically combined it with the Cypress Hill Sound at the time. The Debut album was a direct inspiration to The Chronic and basically Hip-Hop and rap as a whole. Cypress Hills first 3 albums have highly advance production even by todays standards. 

Basically NWA Straight Outta Compton bares sound influence from Public Enemy, EMPD, Beastie Boys, and old school Electric Dance.

100 Miles and Runnin was Dr. Dre's last Up Tempo recording (allegedly) you can see hes clearly being influnced by ATLs style on the MC Ren track.

Nigga4life was basically a huge step up, but you can tell the difference between that record and the G-Funk sound. The Sampling is more dense on certain tracks, and less on others (Always into something as mentioned). It's basically a Beta G-Funk record. It's just another stride before Dr. Dre fully developed his portion of the sound.

When Cypress Hills Record dropped, Everything on that record got transfered into the chronic. The Funky Basslines, The sound effects, the sampling techniques a lot of stuff that became staples of hip hop.

Warren G pretty much invented a more soulful style of G-Funk

Too Short's Moob Music had a influence on the sound also.

Basically G-Funk is a combination of all these different variety of hip-hop combined to form one sound. That's why I think G-Funk is more advance in terms of Production and Sonic quality, mainly because it takes a lot of these things to make a True G-Funk record.  The DJ Quick Song "Tonight" as previously mentioned isn't G-Funk, but I Can see how it could be. The same shit happened with Ice Cubes The Predator album. The template was sorta like G-Funks except it was way more rugged and dense.

The successor to G-Funk today is Chicano Rap. It utilizes the same techniques, sounds and concepts. Except its not Truly G-Funk, It just sounds like it.   

that's a dope post. thanks for your two cents. i wouldn't consider Deep Cover more G-Funk than Tonite though. As you mentioned, LA's rap scene was mostly electro hip-hop in the 80's, at least the big names like Toddy Tee, Mixmaster Spade, Rodney O. & Joe Cooley, and I think that G-Funk is a natural evolution from that style, but sounded a lot more organic and soulful with the use of live instruments.

Mietek23

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2012, 03:50:02 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2sDAVlLSLiQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2sDAVlLSLiQ</a>

San Francisco, 1990 8)

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 05:35:18 AM »
What Came Out First The Chronic Or BML?

The Chronic, but BML was basically G-Funk without Cypress Hills Debut contributing to the sound. So basically BML represents G-Funk before the Cypress Hill influence.

BML however was fully recorded and set for release before Dre made The Chronic. The Chronic was made after and was released before BML do the fact that Dr. Dre had to push out a album in order to jump start Death Row and to put distance between himself and Ruthless Records, where ATL wasn't under pressure and BML was just another release for them. BML got good reviews, but The Chronic dominated the radio and raps sound for years.

Desert Lord

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
YES!!so i was right when i thouzght "alwayz into somethin´" was the first thang done in that direction.
admiral d killed that shit.

Also I feel you should know (since I saw your post about Cypress Hill)

Cypress Hills Debut Album had a huge influence on G-Funks soundscape. Dr. Dre drew influence from ATLs production techniques and basically combined it with the Cypress Hill Sound at the time. The Debut album was a direct inspiration to The Chronic and basically Hip-Hop and rap as a whole. Cypress Hills first 3 albums have highly advance production even by todays standards. 

Basically NWA Straight Outta Compton bares sound influence from Public Enemy, EMPD, Beastie Boys, and old school Electric Dance.

100 Miles and Runnin was Dr. Dre's last Up Tempo recording (allegedly) you can see hes clearly being influnced by ATLs style on the MC Ren track.

Nigga4life was basically a huge step up, but you can tell the difference between that record and the G-Funk sound. The Sampling is more dense on certain tracks, and less on others (Always into something as mentioned). It's basically a Beta G-Funk record. It's just another stride before Dr. Dre fully developed his portion of the sound.

When Cypress Hills Record dropped, Everything on that record got transfered into the chronic. The Funky Basslines, The sound effects, the sampling techniques a lot of stuff that became staples of hip hop.

Warren G pretty much invented a more soulful style of G-Funk

Too Short's Moob Music had a influence on the sound also.

Basically G-Funk is a combination of all these different variety of hip-hop combined to form one sound. That's why I think G-Funk is more advance in terms of Production and Sonic quality, mainly because it takes a lot of these things to make a True G-Funk record.  The DJ Quick Song "Tonight" as previously mentioned isn't G-Funk, but I Can see how it could be. The same shit happened with Ice Cubes The Predator album. The template was sorta like G-Funks except it was way more rugged and dense.

The successor to G-Funk today is Chicano Rap. It utilizes the same techniques, sounds and concepts. Except its not Truly G-Funk, It just sounds like it.   

true! cypress hill's first album it's funky sounds influenced g-funk definetly...their early stuff is really underrated, for their influence of g-funk

Desert Lord

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 08:14:48 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2sDAVlLSLiQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2sDAVlLSLiQ</a>

San Francisco, 1990 8)

8) props...didn't heard it, yet

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 10:55:49 AM »
good question.  I know people have called Dre's music G Funk, but did Dre ever call it that himself?   It seemed like Warren G was really the one promoting that phrase.  

...a good question would be "who coined the phrase G Funk"?   
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Mietek23

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2012, 11:23:41 AM »
good question.  I know people have called Dre's music G Funk, but did Dre ever call it that himself?   It seemed like Warren G was really the one promoting that phrase.  

Actually, 2Pac was the first to ever call this music G-Funk - check out his verse on ATL's "Call It What U Want" from "Black Mafia Life":

"I'm bumpin' G-Funk, but you can call it what you want"
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:15:09 PM by Mietek23 »

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
personally i don't care much for the terminology...funky shit is funky shit :bandit:
true.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2012, 04:44:25 PM »

Yes, Dre referred to it as that at least a few times during the Death Row era. The one that immediately jumps to mind his intro on Dogg Pound's "Respect" track.

Blasphemy (A)

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »

2pac said it first on ATLs "Call it what you want", but its possible ATL had told em what they called it, or he just made it up cause it sounded like a good lyric and the term stuck.

Doggystyle was the third G-Funk album in existence at the time (Correct me if I'm wrong) and he used the term on that.

Then Warren G, and pretty much grew from that.

Dr. Dre didn't reference it as G-Funk until After The Chronic. So ATL essentially created it, and possibly named it. I say possibly cause its very possible 2pac invented the term During his whole rhyming on the "call it what you want" track.

I know ATL says they Made the Genre (no denying that) but I Don't recall them ever claim giving it the name. Correct me if I'm wrong. It would be kinda strange that 2pac named it, considering he doesn't make a G-Funk album until Me Against The World.  but the first time the term was ever heard on a record was by 2pac.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 12:13:57 AM »
thug life and me against the world were both g funk records pana

i mean for fucks sake warren g did beats on thug life.

also warren g was getting his g funk vibe out there earlier then yall remember check out mc breed (michigan stand up) the new breed and i think this album came out within a month or so of the chronc they were both made in the same studios at the same time and feature many of the same studio musicians too.

those tracks are straight up g funk.

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 01:12:01 AM »
wow i havent heard this discussion before.  :P

anyways lol

1985!!

Fonky Fresh

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 03:13:24 AM »
wow i havent heard this discussion before.  :P

anyways lol

1985!!

Damn the song female Funk knock real hard, 1st time i hear it, someone has it in high quality ?
Watch Now Old School Rap Videos here: THIS PAGE
My soundcloud !