Author Topic: Who's to blame for lack of star power in the Slam Dunk Contest?  (Read 1945 times)

The Watcher

Re: Who's to blame for lack of star power in the Slam Dunk Contest?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 12:19:41 AM »
the problem is that the stars don't wanna get shown up by someone else, albeit another star or a no name rookie. sure, lebron might thrown down the hammer in every game, but what happens when he is beaten by some undrafted rookie for the whole world to see? he doesn't wanna put himself in that position, the same as everyone else

to be honest there's only so many dunks that can be done before it becomes repetitive. oh he does a 360 windmill through the legs, yeaaaah but we aw that last year with.. people wanna see something fresh, new .. and the dunk comp just isn't it. the dunk comp is still my favourite part of the all-star weekend, but they need to find a way to get the real stars/dunkers from the league involved (blake without rigging it, lebron, westbrook etc..) otherwise it'll have to end
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

PLANT

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 05:49:45 AM »
seems like you guys are basically saying the players are to blame.

its funny, we never hear stories about "this player turned down the invite" and whatnot....The league should clear this up for the fans.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »
The Watcher gets it. The star gets no gain & the rookie gets all the praise in the world off of beating the star.

If the competition was LeBron, Griffin, Dwight & Durant, none of them would object. Blake knows he's out of dunks & doesn't want somebody like Iman Shumpert to beat him because Jermey Lin's pass alone will win him the fan vote.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »
LMFAO, Nik doesn't even hide his deep hate for LeBron anymore. Bout time you come straight, nigga.

The dunk contest was fucked before fan votes came in. Those old ass judges gave bogus ratings, too. LeBron not joining while he was young and not public enemy #1 was also disappointing, but it comes with the structure of the contest. Way too often niggas were robbed. Way too often niggas would get 60 tries for one dunk, then a maximum rating lmao.

Then there's also the reason, that at a certain point it's all been done before. With the internet giving people ideas / sick dunks by clicking a button and the athletic evolution, even niggas who aren't great basketball players can do sick ass dunks. Doing it under the legs or jumping over the front of an ugly car ain't impressing anyone anymore.

The dunk contest has simply lost its glamour and it has been like this for years. Tyrus Thomas publicly stated that he was just in it for the money. How insane is that? I mean nigga is dumb as shit, but there's still no way in hell that would have happened 15 years ago.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:24:33 AM by 7even »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »
It lost all credibility when Iguodala for ROBBED by Nate. Even Knick fans I know don't agree with that dunk contest.

PLANT

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 11:00:48 AM »
still, its wack that no names are competing for skills comps at ALL STAR weekend.  If you look at the NHL, or the Pro-Bowl, its the ALL STAR players who are competing in the events.  Not some no name bums that are not ALL STAR caliber players. 

These assholes need to swallow their pride and realize the fans are the ones who pay their insane salary.  The league should be forcing these idiots to suck it up and throw down a few dunks to keep us happy, and to keep the dunk contest alive.

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »
the problem is that the stars don't wanna get shown up by someone else, albeit another star or a no name rookie. sure, lebron might thrown down the hammer in every game, but what happens when he is beaten by some undrafted rookie for the whole world to see? he doesn't wanna put himself in that position, the same as everyone else

to be honest there's only so many dunks that can be done before it becomes repetitive. oh he does a 360 windmill through the legs, yeaaaah but we aw that last year with.. people wanna see something fresh, new .. and the dunk comp just isn't it. the dunk comp is still my favourite part of the all-star weekend, but they need to find a way to get the real stars/dunkers from the league involved (blake without rigging it, lebron, westbrook etc..) otherwise it'll have to end

exactly....

+ durant, westbrook, a rose were never great dunkers to begin with....however, lebron did say he would be in the contest and then pulled out. biggest bitch move in dunk contest history.

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:49 AM »
its funny, we never hear stories about "this player turned down the invite" and whatnot....The league should clear this up for the fans.

actually, yes we did....LeBron was entered in the contest and then pulled out. this is fact.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
i honestly like the nonames being in it

last year with blake being rigged was retarded....Serge had the best dunk of the night and got like a 45 or some shit

really? i thoguht derozan took it, look the best and hardest.

but this year the fans vote, but its just that all the contestants are fucking no name tanners (faggots)

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

rayallen0

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
^ Has the fan vote really been around that long? Seems like they weren't getting big names before that either (although I haven't seen one this bad in a while).

Since that scrub Nate was winning dunk contests because he had the city of New York behind him.
this motherfucker wants to get his ass shot. insulting nate robinson like a bitch.

rayallen0

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 01:10:55 PM »

exactly....

+ durant, westbrook, a rose were never great dunkers to begin with....however, lebron did say he would be in the contest and then pulled out. biggest bitch move in dunk contest history.
westbrook isn't a great dunker?  :o

Sccit

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »
Westbrook is a good dunker, but not a GREAT dunker...

great dunkers=Vince Carter, Dominique Wilkins, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Darryl Dawkins, etc. if u put him in the same class as these guys, ur insane.

rayallen0

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
i'm sorry but when i see Kobe named over Shawn Kemp i can't help but laugh.

Sccit

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
i'm sorry but when i see Kobe named over Shawn Kemp i can't help but laugh.

LOL...Shawn Kemp is more of a power dunker, but Kobe, in his prime, had WAY more flair. both great dunkers in different respects...back on the topic, though, Westbrook aint close to either.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 01:16:02 PM »
Westbrook is a good dunker, but not a GREAT dunker...

great dunkers=Vince Carter, Dominique Wilkins, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Darryl Dawkins, etc. if u put him in the same class as these guys, ur insane.

i miss vince straight up, you dont know what u have till its gone, how spoiled we were to watch the greatest dunker ever, i never appreciated it as much as i do now.

i dont see anyone dunking like vince any more, contested windmills, windmills over 1 or even 2 defenders. its ridiculous what he did, especially IN GAME. i dont see anyone doing that any more.

shit all you see these days is dudes missing open windmills (josh smith).

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.