Author Topic: (MLB) At Age 49 Jamie Moyer Becomes Oldest Pitcher Ever To Earn A Win  (Read 358 times)

MistaNova

Moyer pitches himself into record books

DENVER -- To become the oldest pitcher in Major League history to win a game in the Rockies' 5-3 decision over the Padres on Tuesday night, Rockies left-hander Jamie Moyer turned over the most significant decision of the game to a catcher born nearly three years after his Major League debut.

Moyer faced the Padres' Jeremy Hermida while clinging to a 3-2 lead with a runner at third and two outs in the seventh. Enter Wilin Rosario, born Feb. 23, 1989. Moyer first appeared with the Cubs on June 16, 1986, but that didn't matter.

"I had a lot of at-bats against him when he was in Miami, and I had a lot of success," Moyer said. "I was struggling with what I should do, if I should start him off in or start him off away. Wilin put a cutter down and I said, 'You know what? That's a good idea.'"

Hermida grounded out on that pitch and Moyer entered the dugout to the back-slaps and high-fives of his teammates, having held the Padres to six hits and two unearned runs in seven innings. He didn't exceed 79 mph on any of his 87 pitches.

Only after the Rockies scored two key runs in the eighth and Rafael Betancourt survived a nail-biting ninth inning did Moyer have his historic victory at Coors Field in front of 24,525.

Moyer's selfless approach to the key pitch demonstrates that even though the night was all about his place in history, he realizes the game really wasn't about him.

At 49 years and 150 days, Moyer surpassed the previous record held by the Brooklyn Dodgers' Jack Quinn, who beat the St. Louis Cardinals at Ebbetts Field on Sept. 13, 1932, at 49 years and 70 days. Moyer also tied Hall of Famer Jim Palmer on the all-time wins list at 268. It was Moyer's first win since June 27, 2010. On July 20, Moyer suffered an elbow injury that required surgery and kept him out until he signed with the Rockies on a Minor League contract and made the team in Spring Training.

Moyer understood the significance enough to have his wife, Karen, and seven of his eight children present. His oldest son, Dillion, plays baseball at the University of California, Irvine, and could not make it. However, he admits being embarrassed at not being a baseball historian.

But during the game he didn't waste time thinking about history. More important to him was the Rockies have a chance Wednesday night to win the three-game series with the Padres and finish with a winning record in their first homestand of the year, a nine-game set.

"For me to put that in front of the game really would be unfair to my teammates, unfair to myself," Moyer said. "It would tell me also that my focus and my attention were in the wrong place. And as you saw tonight, the game's not over until the last out is made. You have to respect and appreciate how this game is."

Read the rest here: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_04_17_sdnmlb_colmlb_1&mode=recap_home&c_id=col

Remedy360

Re: (MLB) At Age 49 Jamie Moyer Becomes Oldest Pitcher Ever To Earn A Win
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:08:25 AM »
Boss. I remember when we got rid of him in '05 thinking he would retire in a year or two. Wrong. LOL

rayallen0

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 01:21:41 PM »
Glad it was him. Moyer is impossible not to root for. miss him up here. Dude still is involved in the seattle community though.

Remedy360

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »
Glad it was him. Moyer is impossible not to root for. miss him up here. Dude still is involved in the seattle community though.

Agreed. What the hell is that in your sig though? lol

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 02:33:19 PM »

Agreed. What the hell is that in your sig though? lol

Yeah.. I was wondering the same thing.  That sig is fucked up.  People got to be more careful what they put into their minds and bodies.  Why are you promoting trash?

...Also, I owe an apology to the Mariners fan.  I said that his team sucked more than the Royals or something to that effect.  I was wrong.  Royals have nothing to be proud of as a franchise post 95.  We are a fucking joke.  And I renounce myself as a Royals fan.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

rayallen0

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:37:10 PM »
its a funny pic of a man hailing an ass. lmfao. infinite get out of here we all already now u are afraid of men not being superior because you were hurt by some girl at 16 simping you go to some weird extreme that any picture, song, movie, etc... not demeaning women is bad. it is really frightening.