Author Topic: Sadat X Interview  (Read 88 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Sadat X Interview
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
http://illuminati2g.com/site/2012/04/24/sadat-x-interview/

I2G chilled with 1/3 of the legendary group Brand Nubian, Sadat X, for a interview. We discuss his new single We In New York, produced by Fokis and his work with Fokis, his solo albums, Brand Nubian reunion album and Sadat drops MAJOR news on some upcoming albums from him in the future so check it out.

Illuminati 2G is here with Sadat X, how’s it going man?

Everything is good, I’m living man no doubt.

You just recently dropped your new single entitled We In New York. Tell me a little bit about the single and how it came together for you.

Well my man JFR and Fokis produced the track and it is giving homage to New York. I tried to put my words together in a catchy way that was different from your average tribute songs but people do for their cities. I think I really did a good job in capturing that.

That leads perfectly into my next question, you mentioned Fokis how did you 2 link up?

I did some work for him and I got to know him through us collaborating. He has been great and one thing that he does that other producers at times are scared to do is if he hears something and he thinks I can execute the verse or song better, he will say something to me.

Some producers think especially with veterans in the game that we would not take critiques and direction. But I feel that for me that is what has kept me around for so long is my ability to take direction. Fokis, he does that, gives his opinion and I will go back in the booth and do it again because I am trying to get the best product out there possible.

Do you currently have a solo album in the works that you are going to drop soon?

Yeah me and Fokis are working on a New York City album and we are putting tracks together for the album. We are about 6 tracks deep into the album and so far it is going good.

Do you have any upcoming singles or videos after We In New York?

We are currently getting ready to do a video for We In New York and then take it from there.

I just wanted to go over with you some of your solo albums and get maybe your favorite joint from each album or favorite memories. First album is Wild Cowboys.

That Wild Cowboys album was special because that was still right in that era where you did not email tracks back and forth to people for them to get done. You actually had to record albums and songs in the studio and I remember all of the people I worked with on that album being in the studio with me. That is probably my favorite album and I did it with my Bronx people, Buckwild, Pete Rock, Diamond D, O.G. and more that were involved with that album.

The State Of New York VS Derek Murphy

That album was done with Dante Ross and my favorite song off that album was X-Men because of how the song was constructed and how Dante built that beat up.

Experience & Education

Yeah I tried to drop more uplifting songs on that album. The Daily News, just play off of different things and unfortunately the label that the album came out on collasped and alot of that album got lost in the wind, but overall I thought that was a good album.

Black October

That album was done before I had got into a little bit of trouble. I dropped it before I went to jail and I did not want to leave a complete void of no music out there. My Brand Nubian brothers was on there and a few other people as well.

Generation X

That album was done on my return home. I was just getting back into the studio for a minute and that was a album that we put out to show people that I was still around doing my thing.

Brand New Bein

That album was done with my man DJ JS-1. He wanted to do a concept album and I respected his craft and guidance and so we put that album together.

Wild Cowboys II

That was just a continuation of the first Wild Cowboys. Same good vibe, Bronx flavor, had my man OG on there, Pete Rock with the Turn It Up single on there, that is probably my favorite joint of that one and we also did a video for it as well.

You earlier mentioned Brand Nubian, is there any chances of you guys reuniting and putting out a Brand Nubian album?

Well alot of people don’t know this but we do around 4 to 5 shows a month together. We do have a upcoming show on the 29th at SOB’s and we are in the process of putting a album together and when we came back together in 1996-1997 and we have been doing shows ever since.

You mentioned your new single has a New York theme to it and the new album is going to be called New York City. What are your thoughts on hip hop that is coming out of New York right now.

The state of hip hop is changing and hip hop as a genre is still growing. You have classical compilations that were done hundreds of years ago and hip hop as we know it in the mainstream is about 40 years old.

I think it is still defining itself and I always think that New York will always be the home of hip hop and I think for a minute we forgot that. New York always prides itself on being innovators and alot of us fell into a safe zone and trying to do what the masses were doing.

I think that alot of the artists that are coming out today have alot of originality like Joell Ortiz, Fred The Godson and I really like alot of Tyler The Creator’s stuff as well. It’s all different and that is what you need these days, but hip hop is always going to grow and change, I personally just stay in my lane.

Do you have any other upcoming shows or tour dates?

I just came back from Japan last week and Brand Nubian has a show in Miami coming up and I am probably going to be doing some festivals in Europe coming soon.

What’s your website information?

www.twitter.com/sadatx. www.facebook.com/derekmurphy.

Alright well that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Yeah man good looking out on everything, and I have alot of projects in the works. I have the project with Fokis right now, I also have a album that I am 12 songs into with El Da Sensai from the Artifacts as well as a album with Psycho Les from The Beatnuts. Constantly moving, putting material out.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: Sadat X Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:05:11 PM »
great read.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Wheres my daddy

Re: Sadat X Interview
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
This is great...I'm sure my dad will come to read this!!