Author Topic: Ok, I want to learn about EastCoast rap, catch up. Can YOU help me?  (Read 906 times)

Nima - Dubcnn.com

ive been listenin to rap for about 7 years but i've mainly limited myself to WestCoast Rap. Ive sucked up any info on the west in the last years and now i feel like its time to open up and stop sleeping on the music coming from the east and also the south. SGV has done a good job tryna enlighten me on the South, but i know theres still alot im missin...

id like to ask ya'll for your opinion. I'd like to start way back, the old school. Who should I check out, what albums, record labels, connections, etc etc..

Would you be down to help? If any of you can actually SEND me some stuff, that would be even better. but its cool both ways.

what you think?

EDIT:

just wanted to say theres some stuff i know, like Nas old/new, wu tang old/new but not the solo projects, i got rakims stuff...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2003, 03:03:07 AM by Nimagic aka Off Da Hook Hung Daddy »

The Watcher

Re:Ok, I want to learn about EastCoast rap, catch up. Can YOU help me?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2003, 04:30:47 AM »
dive into big daddy kane, and the first few albums of BDP.. mainly criminal minded - that was a DOPE album. check out krs's stuff, rakim & eric b - paid in full, then move onto some kool keith, not really oldschool, but he's dope. while we're on the subject of kool keith, get the ultramagnetic mc's stuff
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2003, 05:30:44 AM »
You should probably start with the early to mid 90s stuff first then go back a check the gold age stuff.  If you don't have Nas' Illmatic or the Wu-Tang Clan's Enter The Wu-Tang, you should really start with that but I assume you got that so you might wanna check out Biggie's Ready To Die ("Unbelievable"), Redman's Muddy Waters ("Pick It Up") or Whut...Thee Album ("How To Roll A Blunt") or then there is some grimy dark shit like Black Moon's classic Enta Da Stage ("Who Got Da Props").

I highly recommend A Tribe Called Quest.  They dropped 3 serious gems, test out Midnight Marauders ("Award Tour").

If you wanna then go check out some gems from the golden age then try what I think are the three most influencial emcees:

Rakim - Paid In Full ("I Ain't No Joke"), Follow The Leader ("Microphone Fiend")
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick ("Children's Story")
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane ("Ain't No Half Steppin"), It's A Big Daddy Thing ("Young, Gifted & Black")

Also, EPMD, Strictly Business ("You Gots To Chill"), Unfinished Business ("So What Cha Sayin'") they got some funky production, similar to some westcoast production.

There is obviously a lot more shit, I'll type some more latter.

...I added a sample song from each album.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2003, 05:46:45 AM by C2Knuckles »

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2003, 09:50:20 AM »
Ok, definately check out the stuff that the other two have suggested plus you gotta check some Gang Starr stuff. Their greatest hits double cd entitled Full Clip is probably a good starting point. Also branching off from them you have artists like Jeru The Damaja who's first album was really dope, and also Group Home's first album is definately worth picking up.

Moving forward in time, most Rawkus releases have been extremely dope. From the compilations check Soundbombing 1 and 2 and Lyricist Lounge Vol 1, although I would avoid Lyricist Lounge Vol 2. On the artist front, definately pick up the Black Star album, plus both Kweli's solo joints and Mos Def's solo joint, and the Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus album is also worth picking up. Pharoahe Monch's album is fire, but u may want to check him out, songs such as Simon Says, Fuck You, No Mercy should give you a pretty good idea of his style.

Hope this helps.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2003, 09:58:12 AM »
Here are some affiliations and crews:

Boot Camp Click: Black Moon, Cocoa Brovas (Smif N Wessun), Heltah Skeltah, Originoo Gun Clappaz, The Representatives, Da Beatminerz (production group)

Crew's main producer(s): Da Beatminerz

Best albums: Black Moon's Enta Da Stage, Smif N Wessun's Da Shinning & Heltah Skeltah's Noctunal

Wu-Tang Clan: Rza, Gza, Inspectah Deck, Ghostface Killah, Chef Raekwon, Method Man, Masta Killa, Ol' Dirty Bastard, U-God

Affiliates: Cappadonna, Killa Army, Killah Priest, Sunz Of Man, Shyheim, plus lots more

Crew's main producer(s): Rza, Mathematics, True Master & 4th Disciple

Best solo albums: Chef Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, Gza/Genius' Liquid Swords, Ghostface Killah's Supreme Clientele

D.I.T.C.: Showbiz, AG, OC, Fat Joe, Big L, Diamond D, Lord Finesse, Buckwild

Crew's main producer(s): Diamond D, Lord Finesse, Showbiz, Buckwild & DJ Premier

Best solo albums: Diamond D's Stunts, Blunts & Hip Hop, Big L's Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous, Show & AG's Runaway Slave

Def Squad: Erick Sermon, Keith Murray & Redman

Affiliates: Jamal (Illegal), EPMD

Crew's main producer(s): Erick Sermon, Rockwilder & Redman

Best solo albums: Redman's Muddy Waters, Keith Murray's Enigma, Erick Sermon's Music

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2003, 10:03:59 AM »
yeah thanks for all the suggestions, i'll deffinately check these out... till now i've downloaded

Redman - Whut Thee Album -> this is tight as hell.. i knew most tracks already but yeah this is some ill stuff.

ATCQ - Midnight Marauders -> this is good, i'll listen to it again tonight.. im feelin it

Slick Rick - Behind Bars -> haven't listened to it yet.. i know the remix of behind bars he had wit warren g tho..

oh and i also got the Children Story video, funny shit..

right now im gettin bigg daddy kane - long live the kane..

ima get Mobb Dead - Hell On Earth and some more later and drop my thoughts.

Ill try to get ALL that stuff ya'll listed, but KEEP IT COMIN, KEEP IT COMIN! ill make a big list and try to get it.. thank you

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2003, 10:12:25 AM »
ATCQ - Midnight Marauders -> this is good, i'll listen to it again tonight.. im feelin it

If you like that, check out The Low End Theory next.

Slick Rick - Behind Bars -> haven't listened to it yet.. i know the remix of behind bars he had wit warren g tho..

That one and The Ruler's Back are supposed to be his worst albums.  I haven't even heard them yet but those are the ones he recorded after he went to jail.  (I think he recorded them while on bail)

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2003, 11:55:52 AM »
o.c.-word life
jeru the damaja-sun rises in the east
de la soul-de la soul is dead

3 of the best and most slept-on albums from the east ever..
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

PLANT

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2003, 12:44:27 PM »
Check out Lost Boyz - Legal Drug Money and Capone N Noreaga - The War Report is an eastcoast classic aswell.

S.G.V.

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2003, 03:14:33 PM »
check out most Rawkus releases nima...Mos Def, Black Star, Talib Kweli, Reflection Eternal, Pharoahe Monch, Soundbombin, Lyricist Lounge...thats some tight shit right there...some Das Efx shit...definately Boot Camp Click....theyre straight sick...Ultramagnetic MCs/Kool Keith shit...Prince Paul...just get at me on aim...

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2003, 01:25:08 AM »
Everybody's mentioned some good shit...

Cormega - Tha Realness and some Mobb Deep shit...

I'm gonna second a couple cd's... like Gang Starr, but I say you get Moment of Truth.. Big L... Lifestyles is coo' but a lil older, his last cd they put out after he passed was still pretty dope. Definately check that DITC... Mos Def, Common, Phaoroah Monch, Talib, Hi Tek's Teknology album...

Look for, EASTERN CONFERENCE ALL STARS II and III... those cd's are tha shit!... I highly reccomend both of them...

Sticky Fingaz.... Black Trash, The AutoBiography of Kirk Jones..

MASTA ACE... you must check Disposable Arts...

Kool G Rap's last cd was decent... pretty good actually... I bought it yesterday and it sounded nice in when I'm bumpin it... O.G East Coast muthafucker right here... still puttin it down.

Beatnuts... just check up any of there cd's... they're all pretty consistant and you'd find hits on any of them no matter which one you pick.

Mouse said Tha Liks and Dilated Peoples even though they're from tha West Coast, but Dilated do sound pretty East Coast... maybe you'd like their shit.

Mad Skillz... he can spit pretty good... think he's from Virginia...

Grand Puba and Sadat X.... Brand Nubian shit... Grand Puba put a cd out like a year or two ago and a couple tracks on there sound alright...

Ed O.G The Truth Hurts

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2003, 05:53:12 AM »
Some nice albums there...Nimagic gimme a shout ..e-mail me ftp details ill try ta hook u up with anything u want....as im at work ill have to fxp u.
Pe@ce !

Don Seer

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2003, 06:29:53 AM »
* Misses Opti disgusted no one mentioned Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother      -classic-
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - All Souled Out EP   -its ok..-
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient  -another classic-
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Rare Tracks  (japan import) - collection of remixes, cost me about $40
Ini - Center Of Attention  -project that was due in 1997ish. released and pressed in the UK on pete's label late last year. a crime it wasnt released. similar sounding to The Main Ingredient. Ini are actually shouted out on T.M.I., there may even be a track the same or remix'd or summat -

off the top of my head tracks to check

T.R.O.Y. They Reminsce Over You, Lots Of Lovin, Searchin
Ini Project.. ermm Center Of Attention and "props"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2003, 06:51:31 AM by Overseer »

Nima - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 07:43:06 AM »
wassup wassup. damn THANK alot ya'll, i have ALOT to get for now... thanks again its much appreciated.. ill try to check out as much as i can from that list......... tight.

bout liks/dilated i have all their shit already.

im ON THE HUNT baby, ON THE HUNT for shit i slept on!!!!!!!! *rubs eyes* damn ive been missin some good shit!

opti -> ima email ya now, dunno if you're still at work tho lol

Nima(gic) lol

bez

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 07:48:04 AM »
I heard that song Juicy is quite good by Big or sumit.