Author Topic: D12 >>>>>>>>> Slaughterhouse  (Read 809 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
D12 >>>>>>>>> Slaughterhouse
« on: September 18, 2012, 11:26:06 AM »
Don't believe the hype.  I know Slaughterhouse are marketed as being "great lyricists" or a "supergroup".  But are you trying to tell me that the members of D-12 don't have lyrics?   Let's compare for a minute...

- Lyrics -  I don't even know if it's totally their fault.  The way the tracks were so over-produced with the melody's and emo-singing hooks, it made it hard for them to shine lyrically.  Not to mention, I think Slaughterhouse is mostly just good at punchlines.  I can see Eminem's vision was to turn them into artists that could make great songs and not just great punches, but it's not their style.

- Shock Value -  Slaughterhouse attempts shock value on their album and fails.  D-12 never fell short in the "shock value" category

- Character development -  Bizzare developed a great character in D-12.  Crazy fat mutherfucker who would say or do anything.  They all had their alter-ego's.  They repped Detroit, hard-core underground hip-hop, with a touch of hardcore, horrorcore type of shit.  Their video's, promotion, artwork all matched their sound.   Slaughterhouse on the other hand can't decide if they want to be grimey or if they want to be pretty boys.  The best song on the album "Hammerdance" was a grimey cut, but they tried to make a pretty boy video to go with it.  Seems they can't figure out what they want their image to be.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Blood$

Re: D12 >>>>>>>>> Slaughterhouse
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:30:14 AM »
I agree with about half of this post.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:24 AM »
    yeah they made gems like this

shut up brian and go feed your kid

doggfather

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:23:56 PM »
haha, hell no.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Invincible

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:30:13 PM »
Personally, I would rather listen to a D12 album due to the fact that their debut was dope. Much more dope compared to Slaughterhouse's. Haven't listened to the 2nd SH album yet in fear that its going to be wack. If SH were rapping over the right production, then I would have to say that they are the better group.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:47:44 PM »
Personally, I would rather listen to a D12 album due to the fact that their debut was dope. Much more dope compared to Slaughterhouse's. Haven't listened to the 2nd SH album yet in fear that its going to be wack. If SH were rapping over the right production, then I would have to say that they are the better group.

the second SH album has some dope production...check out "Frathouse" "The Other Side" and "Die" specifically

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 03:05:01 PM »
This is dumb. Outside of Proof, nobody else in D-12 comes close to Slaughterhouse.

The only thing that D-12 has on Slaughterhouse is that D-12 had Eminem on 80% of the songs. Eminem in his prime too.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
This is dumb. Outside of Proof, nobody else in D-12 comes close to Slaughterhouse.

The only thing that D-12 has on Slaughterhouse is that D-12 had Eminem on 80% of the songs. Eminem in his prime too.

So you disagree with my premise that Slaughterhouse doesn't have a consistent identity?   I mean I don't get it.  Are they emo or are the hood?   Are they gonna hit you over the head with it or lull you to sleep with signing?   Is the production going to be gutter or is it going to be a track originally produced for Skylar Grey?   

Seriously, these dudes have an identity crisis.   Crooked was stranded on Death Row, so that fact alone gives him street cred.  Royce burned up the underground for a whole decade.  Joel Ortiz is an underground sensation who never had fame or fortune.  Why the fuck didn't these guys just make their shit grimey, gutter style.  They should of came like Wu-Tangs first album and made it grimey, or hard-core, crazy, shock value like D-12's first album.

For real that "Hammer Dance" video should of looked like the "Westside Slaughterhouse" video Westside Connection did when they wanted to diss Common and Masta Ace.   Yet, Slaughterhouse didn't have the balls to challenge anyone on their album.  And the video for "hammerdance" was on some pretty boy shit, trying to market their music to white females.

This album doesn't reflect Slaughterhouse.  It's clear this was a case of Eminem trying to turn these cats into song writers that make great songs not just great punchlines.. and the project failed.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »

So you disagree with my premise that Slaughterhouse doesn't have a consistent identity?   I mean I don't get it.  Are they emo or are the hood?   Are they gonna hit you over the head with it or lull you to sleep with signing?   Is the production going to be gutter or is it going to be a track originally produced for Skylar Grey?   

Seriously, these dudes have an identity crisis.   Crooked was stranded on Death Row, so that fact alone gives him street cred.  Royce burned up the underground for a whole decade.  Joel Ortiz is an underground sensation who never had fame or fortune.  Why the fuck didn't these guys just make their shit grimey, gutter style.  They should of came like Wu-Tangs first album and made it grimey, or hard-core, crazy, shock value like D-12's first album.

For real that "Hammer Dance" video should of looked like the "Westside Slaughterhouse" video Westside Connection did when they wanted to diss Common and Masta Ace.   Yet, Slaughterhouse didn't have the balls to challenge anyone on their album.  And the video for "hammerdance" was on some pretty boy shit, trying to market their music to white females.

This album doesn't reflect Slaughterhouse.  It's clear this was a case of Eminem trying to turn these cats into song writers that make great songs not just great punchlines.. and the project failed.

first off there are some truths in this but overall it's aimed at the wrong people Brian

Slaughterhouse probably had very little control over the beat selection and the ending tracklist. 

Slaughter DID get to sneak in a few hardcore songs like Die and Asylum but the two most hardcore songs they've released in 2012 are Sucka MC's and I See Dead People which were left on the mixtape for god knows what reason

the blame for all of this goes squarely on Eminem's shoulders and his so called illuminati friends at Interscope like Iovene....Slaughter just put their trust in Shady.  and tell me one verse on this album where Crooked or Royce come across as emo rappers because I'd like to hear it.  and don't say Rescue Me lol

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »
I mean, it's not really an identity crisis. Notice you said Skylar Grey was on the hook. That's your big point. What part of "Our House" or "Rescue Me" wasn't Slaughterhouse? The lyrics? The message? Stop looking at the fact Shady spiced it up to make it appealing to more audiences. To me it's just retarded that you'd view the song as amazing if you kept everything identical but replaced Skylar with Royce rapping the hook. Like it's just closed minded to me. Pac had bitches singing hooks. The difference is you didn't know them & it wasn't Madonna.

They had a girl on "Killaz" on the debut whose name I'll probably never care about knowing, but nobody said shit. But the exact same song with Rhianna as the girl would be a "problem". I just don't understand. Eminem had that girl who featured on "Superman" & shit & those are classics. But he does "I Love The Way You Lie" with a more poppish beat & a big time pop star, but lyrically is more on point than any other mainstream song you can name & it's "selling out".

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 07:24:42 PM »
Cham you have to remember that Brian just discovered rakim a month ago hahaha

doggfather

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 11:42:36 PM »
I agree...D12 had much better chemistry, and was just better as a group. They were an actual team, whereas Slaughterhouse is more like a collection of random talent making an album together. and yes, that shit is watered down for mainstream appeal...anyone who says otherwise is in denial. Sure, Eminem in his prime made songs with bitches singin' the hook, like "Superman", but those were still classics and true to his sound. they were NOT watered down, generic bullshit.. all his shit he put out in his prime had a signature Eminem sound. even the commercial shit... But like the post-Relapse Eminem, Slaughterhouse uses a borrowed sound to fit in with the current trends...check:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iB9nFiJChDo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iB9nFiJChDo</a>

Infinite is right, they shoulda came out 100% grimey, on some real, raw hip-hop shit, developing their own sound. Identity crisis? No...because they don't have an identity, as a group. They were thrown together, unlike D12, who grew up together and became a group on their own terms.

doggfather

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »
SH make an album before eminem. so they're a group by themselfs.

d12?

Nobody cares about d12 before eminem became a superstar.

or the last decade after d12 wolrd. (just 8 years, not a decade)

any question?

HELP

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 12:03:50 AM »
SH make an album before eminem. so they're a group by themselfs.

d12?

Nobody cares about d12 before eminem became a superstar.

or the last decade after d12 wolrd. (just 8 years, not a decade)

any question?

not really a question, but more of a statement...

i never said eminem made them a group, but they did become a group in hopes that they could blow as a supergroup, not because they grew up together and developed a chemistry as actual homies...as for D12, the point is not that nobody cared about them (even though they did have a strong following in Detroit), but rather that they had better chemistry and made better music as a group. "Devils Night" is a great album...much better than Slaughterhouse's albums. and i agree, D12 hasn't done shit lately....but were not talkin about now, we're talkin about Slaughterhouse now vs. D12 in their prime. D12 wins.