Author Topic: WestCoast producers that fell off...Who Do You Think..???  (Read 1052 times)

Sccit

Re: WestCoast producers that fell off...Who Do You Think..???
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:00 AM »
I don't think it's so much that the producers have fallen off as much as the fact that there isn't as much of a demand for their classic brand of music so you see a whole lot less of them or they changed their style to stay current. I'm sure a lot of them can still bring that heat but it's just not their moment anymore.

As far as Battlecat and that E-40/$hort track goes, it's a good song. The problem is that Cat set the bar so high for himself with his old classics like Dollaz, Drank & Dank, We Can Freak It, G'd Up, Still More Bounce, Nah Nah, Cali Iz Active, etc. that the E-40/$hort song falls short eventhough it is a good song; I guess we just got spoiled by all the classics he's had.

One dude that I miss hearing is Bosko, I love the stuff he did with E-40 back around the Charlie Hustle days. Anyone got any info on him? Quik is still dope, he proved it on Book of David. He had a few signature style tracks on there and Nobody for me was an instant classic (no need to listen to it 10 time so it can grow on you, the shit was classic right off the bat). Quik's problem is that he's starting to experiment a little too much and the results make for an uneven album (like Blaqkout, first half tight, second half :tosser:). I love Quik but he needs to stay consistent.

Actually I thought Blaqkout was a pretty much perfect album beat wise, Quik even had some 'classic' verses on there IMO. kurupt was good but in the end brought the album down a notch from its protential. I think that's what makes it a love/hate album.

I've read Quik was pissed with the reception and sales of the album tho, I'm thinking maybe that's why the production and mood of Quik on BOD took another direction

"Blaqkout" is hella slept on...it's an 8/10...coulda been a 9/10 without the experimental filler tracks ("jupiters critic", "exodus").

I agree its slept on but it still disappoints on lyrics. If u ain't listening for that its a summertime smash no doubt

pretty sure the album focuses a lot more on production than lyricism. it's feel good cruisin' music, not really meant to be judged on lyricism.

B.A.

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »
"Blaqkout" is hella slept on...it's an 8/10...coulda been a 9/10 without the experimental filler tracks ("jupiters critic", "exodus").

It's definitely slept on, I like "Blaqkout", the good shit is great, what I didn't like is that it was on the right track, it could have been right up there with "Rhythm-Al-Ism" or "Balance & Options" if it wasn't for the missteps. "Jupiters Critic", "Exodus", "Whatcha Wan Do" (on there twice...totally unnecessary) and "9X Outta 10" (a bootleg of Clipse's "Grindin") killed the vibe that the other tracks had built up.
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

Sccit

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »

It's definitely slept on, I like "Blaqkout", the good shit is great, what I didn't like is that it was on the right track, it could have been right up there with "Rhythm-Al-Ism" or "Balance & Options" if it wasn't for the missteps. "Jupiters Critic", "Exodus", "Whatcha Wan Do" (on there twice...totally unnecessary) and "9X Outta 10" (a bootleg of Clipse's "Grindin") killed the vibe that the other tracks had built up.

"watcha wan do" was good with the flow of the album, but ur right, shoulda only been on there once.. i also thought "9x outta 10" was dope. "exodus" and "jupiters critic" shoulda never made the final cut, though. those are some weird ass tracks for an album of such magnitude

B.A.

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 12:22:11 PM »
Another producer who I aint hear nothing from in a minute is DJ Pooh? I always liked his style.
"Lyrics aint nothin' if the beat aint crackin' and knees be smackin', that's why the G's keep stackin'" - DJ Quik

Will_B

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
I don't think it's so much that the producers have fallen off as much as the fact that there isn't as much of a demand for their classic brand of music so you see a whole lot less of them or they changed their style to stay current. I'm sure a lot of them can still bring that heat but it's just not their moment anymore.

As far as Battlecat and that E-40/$hort track goes, it's a good song. The problem is that Cat set the bar so high for himself with his old classics like Dollaz, Drank & Dank, We Can Freak It, G'd Up, Still More Bounce, Nah Nah, Cali Iz Active, etc. that the E-40/$hort song falls short eventhough it is a good song; I guess we just got spoiled by all the classics he's had.

One dude that I miss hearing is Bosko, I love the stuff he did with E-40 back around the Charlie Hustle days. Anyone got any info on him? Quik is still dope, he proved it on Book of David. He had a few signature style tracks on there and Nobody for me was an instant classic (no need to listen to it 10 time so it can grow on you, the shit was classic right off the bat). Quik's problem is that he's starting to experiment a little too much and the results make for an uneven album (like Blaqkout, first half tight, second half :tosser:). I love Quik but he needs to stay consistent.

Actually I thought Blaqkout was a pretty much perfect album beat wise, Quik even had some 'classic' verses on there IMO. kurupt was good but in the end brought the album down a notch from its protential. I think that's what makes it a love/hate album.

I've read Quik was pissed with the reception and sales of the album tho, I'm thinking maybe that's why the production and mood of Quik on BOD took another direction

I agree its slept on but it still disappoints on lyrics. If u ain't listening for that its a summertime smash no doubt

pretty sure the album focuses a lot more on production than lyricism.

Well yeah, more the overall vibe and Kurupt n Quik just being themselves

Olde_Ez

• 'G'
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2012, 08:04:44 AM »
Dem Jointz fell off hard