Author Topic: CNN calls NAS hip hop's finest MC  (Read 1987 times)

green-eyed bandit

• 'G'
CNN calls NAS hip hop's finest MC
« on: January 07, 2013, 03:14:54 AM »
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.22445/title.cnn-calls-nas-hip-hops-finest-mc

I understand. It's logic if you take a look back at all the years that hip-hop music has been around & where it is now. Mentioning NAS as hiphop's finest MC should be idd just essential when you look at his quality releases & longevity.

Okka

Re: CNN calls NAS hip hop's finest MC
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:20:09 AM »
I agree with CNN.

doggfather

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 03:41:52 AM »
i don't, but he's one of the bests.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »
Illmatic is hip hop's best mass produced LP, not hip hop's best MC.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
Hard to argue. I have him in the top 3, no question about that one.

I got 'Pac, Nas then Rakim. I do think Nas is above Rakim, as his body of work has worked no matter what era he's in. Rakim was limited to the Goldyn Era. But once you get that high, I don't think it really matter where you have them ranked, Nas is in a place of Hip-Hop Gods, no question about it.

And who was the first to put him up there on this board... that's right... M Dogg.  8)  Nas is truly one of the greats. CNN may have him as the Finest MC, and you really can't argue they are wrong. I may have 2Pac on top, but if you argue Nas, you are not really wrong. It's just a matter of taste as a fan. But no one can ever argue Nas isn't in the top 3 of all time. Unless you go off "success". With "success" or sales, 2Pac, Eminem and Jay-Z are the top 3. And that's also another list of MC's that's hard to argue until you realize Nelly and MC Hammer are in the top 10 and the Fresh Prince is in the top 15. But still, it all depends on how you judge it.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:21 PM »
After his last 2 albums, I'd day there's no doubt he's the GOAT. For years I thought it was a toss up with him and Cube; unfortunately O'shea is fucking up his catalogue down the stretch.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 01:23:31 PM »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »
After his last 2 albums, I'd day there's no doubt he's the GOAT. For years I thought it was a toss up with him and Cube; unfortunately O'shea is fucking up his catalogue down the stretch.

Cube is another one you can't be wrong arguing over who is the GOAT. Once you are up there though, that has to be celebrated.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
Was great fucked up his catalog heavily. Now hes in the category with the other former greats who dumbed their shit down to try to sell in this shitty era of gimmicks, homos, n fake muthafuckas.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Remedy360

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:14 PM »
Not that CNN means shit to me, but this actually was a reasonable choice.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:05 PM »
I know I did this for Nas vs. Jay-Z, and Snoop vs. Jay-Z, and I know a few others, but I might have to go back and just look at all the top artist catalogs, and see exactly who has been consistent. I use to have Rakim at number 1 for a long time, but when you look at the body of work he really only was great in the Goldyn Era of Hip-Hop, and after that he was irrelevant. Someone like Nas started in the Gangsta Rap Era, went through the Bling Era and I'd argue Stillmatic was the beginning of the Silver Era, and then kicked off the Hip-Hop is Dead Era. That's a long career. I might make a thread and put everyone's work out there. Could be interesting.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 11:19:23 PM »
Nas has been around for 20 years and still makes incredible music album after album. I have a lot of favorites, but Nas is prolly the GOAT to me.

And fuck CNN.

Will_B

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 07:52:22 AM »
I know I did this for Nas vs. Jay-Z, and Snoop vs. Jay-Z, and I know a few others, but I might have to go back and just look at all the top artist catalogs, and see exactly who has been consistent. I use to have Rakim at number 1 for a long time, but when you look at the body of work he really only was great in the Goldyn Era of Hip-Hop, and after that he was irrelevant. Someone like Nas started in the Gangsta Rap Era, went through the Bling Era and I'd argue Stillmatic was the beginning of the Silver Era, and then kicked off the Hip-Hop is Dead Era. That's a long career. I might make a thread and put everyone's work out there. Could be interesting.

Do it man. Even just to academically prove that Nas is goat.

We could do an album a day, everyone listens to the same album for each artist and gives comments/scores

weedhead

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 08:50:57 AM »
Hard to argue. I have him in the top 3, no question about that one.

I got 'Pac, Nas then Rakim. I do think Nas is above Rakim, as his body of work has worked no matter what era he's in. Rakim was limited to the Goldyn Era. But once you get that high, I don't think it really matter where you have them ranked, Nas is in a place of Hip-Hop Gods, no question about it.

And who was the first to put him up there on this board... that's right... M Dogg.  8)  Nas is truly one of the greats. CNN may have him as the Finest MC, and you really can't argue they are wrong. I may have 2Pac on top, but if you argue Nas, you are not really wrong. It's just a matter of taste as a fan. But no one can ever argue Nas isn't in the top 3 of all time. Unless you go off "success". With "success" or sales, 2Pac, Eminem and Jay-Z are the top 3. And that's also another list of MC's that's hard to argue until you realize Nelly and MC Hammer are in the top 10 and the Fresh Prince is in the top 15. But still, it all depends on how you judge it.
agree

levamisole

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
LOL it's not some kind of "fact" just the opinion of one journalist. I'm not a huge NAS fan but have no problem with this Eliott C. McLaughlin person feeling this way, or anyone else.