Author Topic: Evolution of "Tha Doggfather" LP - Death Row internal reference mixes + timeline  (Read 12731 times)

Efrain

DMW tracks must have just been taken straight off of one of the Doggfather Master DATs and not even really touched. Same goes for the Doggfather leftovers that appeared on "At His Best."

Great point. I was always under that impression too.

It also made me think of that alt. mix of Street Life that leaked with different arrangements and some string work going on. Seeing as how it isn't on the below list of stuff that was sent out, and that it sounds kinda amateurish, it gives us a little more insight into the creative process. "Street Life" was clearly considered for string work; to the point that someone layed them down to see how it would sound (probably on a keyboard), but eventually the idea must have been abandoned for one reason or another.

DeeezNuuuts83

DMW tracks must have just been taken straight off of one of the Doggfather Master DATs and not even really touched. Same goes for the Doggfather leftovers that appeared on "At His Best."
That's very likely, and interestingly, if it is the case, then it still sounded 10x better than the WIDEawake Lost Sessions Vol. 1 stuff.

MarshColin

Great point. I was always under that impression too.

It also made me think of that alt. mix of Street Life that leaked with different arrangements and some string work going on. Seeing as how it isn't on the below list of stuff that was sent out, and that it sounds kinda amateurish, it gives us a little more insight into the creative process. "Street Life" was clearly considered for string work; to the point that someone layed them down to see how it would sound (probably on a keyboard), but eventually the idea must have been abandoned for one reason or another.

Yup! IMO the Street Life version with strings trumps the other version, but neither of them sounded fully completed.

why would they put up fake credits mentioning additional work by Big Hutch on several songs ? makes no sense except if they wanted to hype Big Hutch's work up and give publishing rights to an artist affiliated to their roster at the time.

I just looked at the DMW credits and Hutch is only credited on 3 songs. He probably did contribute production in some way on those songs, but was not responsible for the other differences between Smokefest and DMW songs.

sms130

• 'G'

why would they put up fake credits mentioning additional work by Big Hutch on several songs ? makes no sense except if they wanted to hype Big Hutch's work up and give publishing rights to an artist affiliated to their roster at the time.

Certain songs were remixed and touched by Big Hutch and a few other Death Row in-house producers like "Head Doctor". Certain songs were not and if you have Smokefest album that Snoop put out and Dead Man Walking, you can hear the difference.

Efrain

Certain songs were remixed and touched by Big Hutch and a few other Death Row in-house producers like "Head Doctor". Certain songs were not and if you have Smokefest album that Snoop put out and Dead Man Walking, you can hear the difference.

Yep, but the point I think he's trying to make is that some of the songs that we presumed were "touched up" specifically for DMW were, in fact, already finished as of '96 (see String Date 3/21/96). For example "I will Survive" on DMW has added string work, different from the version Snoop released on Smokefest. Since DMW was released in 2000 and we know Hutch did work on the album, everyone assumed the "new" string work was Hutch, but in fact it wasn't. It was already done back in 96. The version Snoop released on Smokefest was probably a working demo he had, and not the finished one with strings in the DR vault.  

Blasphemy (A)

I just skimmed this thread and I can't believe you retards are actually putting up alternate tracklistings, and debating on what happened, who gives a fuck the album came out in 96, and wasn't even that great. Fucking Euros and their 90s obsession.

123imagee

if there was some pac-collabo(s) and some dope tracks that were left out it would sell more and this album couldve been a classic.

why did the not release it with street life on it?i think it was a bad move to leave a song with pac out,

any1 know the reason?

MarshColin

Yep, but the point I think he's trying to make is that some of the songs that we presumed were "touched up" specifically for DMW were, in fact, already finished as of '96 (see String Date 3/21/96). For example "I will Survive" on DMW has added string work, different from the version Snoop released on Smokefest. Since DMW was released in 2000 and we know Hutch did work on the album, everyone assumed the "new" string work was Hutch, but in fact it wasn't. It was already done back in 96. The version Snoop released on Smokefest was probably a working demo he had, and not the finished one with strings in the DR vault.  

Exactly.

MarshColin

if there was some pac-collabo(s) and some dope tracks that were left out it would sell more and this album couldve been a classic.

why did the not release it with street life on it?i think it was a bad move to leave a song with pac out,

any1 know the reason?

I don't know why Pac didn't appear on Doggfather but I think you're giving Street Life more credit than it deserves. It had potential to be a good song with added/different production, but was kinda mediocre overall.

donfathaimmortal

At the least this will dead some of those Doggfather "original version" conversations lol.

The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

Fresh Bone

any1 know the reason?

My guess is sampling clearences. The same with C-Walkin'. That's exactly the type of song I would expect from a '96 Snoop Doggy Dogg album; Gangsta rap. The piece of shit album they ended up releasing was the beginning of the end of Snoop.
By the way, on the whole album, Snoop says 'Death Row 4 Life', 'Telling me about the money Suge Knight stole', and lyrics to that effect. It's funny that no one pulls Snoop up about that considering the bullshit he coincedentally came out about Suge when he went to prison.

KrazySumwhat

"i will survive" and "change gonna come" are both great tracks that would've fit well on the album but guess it dont matter now as we have the songs. Not sure what songs i would've removed in their place though?

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Interesting. Thanks efrain. Btw. I just custom made my own Doggfather album years ago after I catched the ...at his best promo disc long before SDD DR GH came out.

My Doggfather:

01. Intro
02. Eastside
03. Doggfather
04. Gangsta Walk
05. Vapors (Remix)  :-X
06. Wake Up (O.J.)
07. Eastside Party
08. Too High (Poly High)
09. Freestyle Conversation
10. Head Doctor (OG)
11. Usual Suspects
12. May I
13. C-Walkin
14. Change Gone Come
15. Snoops Upside Ya Head
16. Midnight Love

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:22:12 AM by o g s u e s o n e »

DeeezNuuuts83

any1 know the reason?
There were rumors that Snoop wanted to show that he was still a commercially successful artist without having to rely on Pac at that point, especially after Pac died.  Again, that might be why the Pac songs were taken off on the track lists proposed after his death.

Efrain

^^ Nice looking tracklist Sues!

05. Vapors (Remix)  :-X

8)

:banana: