Author Topic: Evolution of "Tha Doggfather" LP - Death Row internal reference mixes + timeline  (Read 12728 times)

Will_B

Interesting. Thanks efrain. Btw. I just custom made my own Doggfather album years ago after I catched the ...at his best promo disc long before SDD DR GH came out.

My Doggfather:

01. Intro
02. Eastside
03. Doggfather
04. Gangsta Walk
05. Vapors (Remix)  :-X
06. Wake Up (O.J.)
07. Eastside Party
08. Too High (Poly High)
09. Freestyle Conversation
10. Head Doctor
11. Usual Suspects
12. May I
13. C-Walkin
14. Change Gone Come
15. Snoops Upside Ya Head
16. Midnight Love

What's the 'at his best promo'?

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
all those versions are way better then that wierd ass version art put together a while back

Efrain

Before Death Row dropped Dead Man Walkin' they prepared an album called 'Snoop Doggy Dogg (DMW) at his best' which they pressed up as promos which were circulating in small circles, I think a few even sold on collector sites:

http://www.musicstack.com/priceguide/snoop+doggy+dogg/dmw+at+his+best

It consisted of the same tracklist as the 'Death Row Snoop Doggy Dogg Greatest Hits' but for whatever reason Death Row scrapped it, switched up the artwork and released Dead Man Walkin'. A year or two later they released 'Death Row Snoop Doggy Dogg's Greatest Hits' which was essentially the same album as "at his best", just with a different title and different artwork. 

Quadruple OG

DeeezNuuuts83

Before Death Row dropped Dead Man Walkin' they prepared an album called 'Snoop Doggy Dogg (DMW) at his best' which they pressed up as promos which were circulating in small circles, I think a few even sold on collector sites:

http://www.musicstack.com/priceguide/snoop+doggy+dogg/dmw+at+his+best

It consisted of the same tracklist as the 'Death Row Snoop Doggy Dogg Greatest Hits' but for whatever reason Death Row scrapped it, switched up the artwork and released Dead Man Walkin'. A year or two later they released 'Death Row Snoop Doggy Dogg's Greatest Hits' which was essentially the same album as "at his best", just with a different title and different artwork.
I remember that, it was scrapped at the last minute.  I think it went so far to the point where it was even advertised as being released, since I remember seeing it in my weekly Best Buy ad at the time, as I went to Best Buy the following Tuesday but was told that the album never shipped.  I remember wanting it just for Midnight Love.

dnjp4life

On the topic of Dead Man Walkin, there are 2 things that I find interesting.
First, I wonder if 'Hit Rocks' was recorded before or around the time of Dogg Food because at the end of 'Dogg Pound Gangstaz' you can hear the beat for 'Hit Rocks' come in.
Also, on 'I Will Survive', Snoop says something like 'Wake up in the morning to my lucky charm cereal', and during one of the choruses on 'Serial Killa' from Doggystyle you can hear this particular line scratched in, which makes me think that Snoop's verse may have been recorded in a draft form in 93?

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
First, I wonder if 'Hit Rocks' was recorded before or around the time of Dogg Food because at the end of 'Dogg Pound Gangstaz' you can hear the beat for 'Hit Rocks' come in.
Also, on 'I Will Survive', Snoop says something like 'Wake up in the morning to my lucky charm cereal', and during one of the choruses on 'Serial Killa' from Doggystyle you can hear this particular line scratched in, which makes me think that Snoop's verse may have been recorded in a draft form in 93?
good point. hit rocks was probably recorded in '94 or '95.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

HighEyeCue

Interesting. Thanks efrain. Btw. I just custom made my own Doggfather album years ago after I catched the ...at his best promo disc long before SDD DR GH came out.

My Doggfather:

01. Intro
02. Eastside
03. Doggfather
04. Gangsta Walk
06. Wake Up (O.J.)
07. Eastside Party
08. Too High (Poly High)
10. Head Doctor
11. Usual Suspects
12. May I
13. C-Walkin
14. Change Gone Come
16. Midnight Love

nice 8)

looking back Snoop could have had a decent looking double album

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!

My Doggfather:

01. Intro
02. Eastside
03. Doggfather
04. Gangsta Walk
06. Wake Up (O.J.)
07. Eastside Party
08. Too High (Poly High)
10. Head Doctor
11. Usual Suspects
12. May I
13. C-Walkin
14. Change Gone Come
16. Midnight Love

nice 8)

looking back Snoop could have had a decent looking double album
that woulda been dope. 8)
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
wtf am i lookin' at a pic of snoop wit a french manicure ? LMFAO

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^^ Nice looking tracklist Sues!

8)

:banana:

Where can I hear this remix, I remember hearing this on e on the radio backin like 97 when midnite love got released.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

MarshColin

8)

Where can I hear this remix, I remember hearing this on e on the radio backin like 97 when midnite love got released.

I think it's the only song off of his Doggumentary EP that remains unleaked.

Didn't Battlecat produce the remix?

donfathaimmortal

"Hit Rocks" was recorded in 1995 by Snoop Doggy Dogg & DJ Pooh while they worked on the recording sessions of LBC Crew compilation and Tha Dogg Pound album. The song previously appear on the original tracklist of "Haven't You Heard ? We Givin Something Back To The Streets" as a bonus track.

05. Vapors (Remix)  :-X
8)

U right. This remix didn't leak and it was produced by DJ Battlecat.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:48:06 AM by donfathaimmortal »
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

sms130

• 'G'

8)

Yes, Battlecat produced tha remix. It features Charlie Wilson and the late Teena Marie on it. That's where the confusion came about regarding the credits that appeared in the booklet of tha album.

MarshColin

8)

Yes, Battlecat produced tha remix. It features Charlie Wilson and the late Teena Marie on it. That's where the confusion came about regarding the credits that appeared in the booklet of tha album.

I never realized that they were listed as features on Vapors. Props for pointing that out. Now I REALLY wanna hear this track!