Author Topic: The Official MLB Thread  (Read 7522 times)

MistaNova

Re: Sticky: The Official MLB Thread
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2013, 09:03:25 PM »
Hey remedy I've got another M's question for you.
Do you see Jack Z and Eric Wedge still being with the team next year? Do you think the owners will give them more time to show that their rebuilding process is actually working or will they cut them sooner?

MistaNova

« Reply #226 on: September 06, 2013, 05:04:26 PM »
I was right, this thread did die a little.

Okay, it's finally September. The playoff races are on, here's what the races look like (to me at least).

AL:
*The Boston Red Sox are in first place in the AL East
*The Detroit Tigers are in first place in the AL Central
*The Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers are fighting for first place in the AL West
*The Baltimore Orioles, Tampa Bay Rays, New York Yankees and Cleveland Indians are still in the WC conversation
*Stick a fork in the Royals and everybody else not named yet, they're all done

NL:
*The Atlanta Braves are in first place in the NL East
*The NL Central is crazy as fuck as the Pirates, Cardinals and Reds are fighting for first place on a daily basis
*The Los Angeles Dodgers wins the NL West because everyone else in that division is terrible
*It's looking like the NL Wild Cards will go to two of the three NL Central teams that didn't win the division
*Regardless of what you may read or hear the Washington Nationals are done
*The Arizona Diamondbacks suck
*The Pirates will win the World Series!

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2013, 01:01:10 AM »
Yeah the braves are 1st place in the nl or whole mlbt but still has near half empty stadiums.  Sickening that atlanta & miami needs 2 be in every sport but don't sellout & support their teams.  Even when they're good. 

And this I never saw coming in mlb.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/09/09/the-jays-and-mets-to-play-two-exhibition-games-in-montreal-next-spring/

Wonder if this is a test to see if people in montreal still like mlb.  I feel that they shouldn't cause the strike in 94 killed baseball there, then Loria & maybe someone else finished them off in 95.  Players wanted 2 bypass extra dollars to win, but management had other ideas.  Cause they blew out the braves in the division in 94.  Fire sale. 

MistaNova

« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2013, 09:13:20 AM »
Personally I don't think baseball returning to Montreal wouldn't be a bad idea. Maybe not major league baseball but Minor League Baseball. I'm sure the Jays affiliate based on Vegas (which is where pitchers go to die basically) wouldn't mind leaving. Gives Canada another team to root for as well.
But man did Loria really screw them up by pimping the system to get more money.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:57:17 AM by Iveus »

Remedy360

« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »
Personally I don't think baseball returning to Montreal would be a bad idea. Maybe not major league baseball but Minor League Baseball. I'm sure the Jays affiliate based on Vegas (which is where pitchers go to die basically) wouldn't mind leaving. Gives Canada another team to root for as well.

Oh I have little doubt that Minor League baseball would do fine, if you look around the US you can find minor league teams in second-rate cities all over the place in terms of size. If possible, I'd like to see an MLB team back there, it's not like they were never successful in terms of fan-support. Hard to say how it would be received presently though.

MistaNova

« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2013, 09:58:22 AM »
Personally I don't think baseball returning to Montreal would be a bad idea. Maybe not major league baseball but Minor League Baseball. I'm sure the Jays affiliate based on Vegas (which is where pitchers go to die basically) wouldn't mind leaving. Gives Canada another team to root for as well.

Oh I have little doubt that Minor League baseball would do fine, if you look around the US you can find minor league teams in second-rate cities all over the place in terms of size. If possible, I'd like to see an MLB team back there, it's not like they were never successful in terms of fan-support. Hard to say how it would be received presently though.

Fuck, I just realised that I made a typo. I meant to say "wouldn't be a bad idea" but forgot to add the n't after would.

MistaNova

« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2013, 06:20:02 PM »
Random MLB fact of the day:

Hank Aaron (yes, THE Hank Aaron) used greenies in his MLB career. Despite the fact that that's supposed to make him a dirty-ass cheater, his history of using performance enhancers has been conveniently swept under the rug, kind of like the greenies era in general, and he has since been regarded as a "beloved figure in major league baseball history."

Remedy360

« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2013, 06:31:22 PM »
Random MLB fact of the day:

Hank Aaron (yes, THE Hank Aaron) used greenies in his MLB career. Despite the fact that that's supposed to make him a dirty-ass cheater, his history of using performance enhancers has been conveniently swept under the rug, kind of like the greenies era in general, and he has since been regarded as a "beloved figure in major league baseball history."

I'm pretty sure Willie Mays used amphetamines too. Definitely a double standard, but while shit like that can be beneficial it's not to nearly the same extent as steroids.

MistaNova

« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2013, 07:02:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure Willie Mays used amphetamines too. Definitely a double standard, but while shit like that can be beneficial it's not to nearly the same extent as steroids.

Yeah I know. I was just thinking that since the whole anti-PEDs/steroid thing seems to be based on the "cheating is bad" logic, Aaron (and Mays and others) should technically also fall under the category of cheaters regardless of whether or not the stuff he/they took was as useful to them as PEDs or steroids. Yet they're not and are actually looked at as legends. Which they are, I won't deny that since I'm not the kind of person who throws a player's accomplishments outside the window just because he "cheated." But it does kind of piss me off a little when I hear people be like "Bonds, Clemens and A-Rod shouldn't belong in the HoF because everybody in there is clean and they'll ruin it!" and when I try to tell them that it's already a sham they get all defensive and say yell that it's not true regardless of whatever proof I offer.

Remedy360

« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2013, 11:29:32 PM »

Yeah I know. I was just thinking that since the whole anti-PEDs/steroid thing seems to be based on the "cheating is bad" logic, Aaron (and Mays and others) should technically also fall under the category of cheaters regardless of whether or not the stuff he/they took was as useful to them as PEDs or steroids. Yet they're not and are actually looked at as legends. Which they are, I won't deny that since I'm not the kind of person who throws a player's accomplishments outside the window just because he "cheated." But it does kind of piss me off a little when I hear people be like "Bonds, Clemens and A-Rod shouldn't belong in the HoF because everybody in there is clean and they'll ruin it!" and when I try to tell them that it's already a sham they get all defensive and say yell that it's not true regardless of whatever proof I offer.

I hear you. Personally I see it as the extent to which it benefited performance but I can't speak for everyone else. Personally I wouldn't have much of a problem with all those guys making the hall based on their numbers, but they just seem so artificial to me that I don't really mind seeing them not make it either. But I agree with you on the "cheaters" double standard, no denying that.

MistaNova

« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
The Red Sox and Dodgers are going to the postseason. The Tigers, A's and Braves are getting awfully close. Once the division races are over we can focus on the really important thing, the WCs.

MistaNova

« Reply #236 on: September 22, 2013, 11:46:58 AM »
Did any of ya'll watch the Mariano Rivera ceremony today?
It was really great to see the championship core back together again, not to mention how the Yankees actually got Metallica to perform live just for today.

Remedy360

« Reply #237 on: September 23, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »
It was really great to see the championship core back together again, not to mention how the Yankees actually got Metallica to perform live just for today.

That's whats up. I've never been a big Metallica fan but I've always liked that song.

MistaNova

« Reply #238 on: September 23, 2013, 06:13:52 PM »

That's whats up. I've never been a big Metallica fan but I've always liked that song.

I get goosebumps everytime I go to Yankee Stadium and that song starts playing in the 9th (and occasionally 8th) inning. Too bad it all ends this Thursday.

MistaNova

« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »
It appears as though Manny Machado suffered a leg injury today. Looked pretty ugly.
I guess that also makes him the latest in a long line of young phenoms to fall to injury (Harper, Harvey, Puig etc...).