Author Topic: Phil Jackson finally compares Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant  (Read 2675 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Phil Jackson finally compares Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2013, 12:30:13 PM »

If he did that like once a month and broke out for 65+, I'd agree with you, but it wasn't him "elevating his game" for the win, it was just a hot shooting night. He had many, many games over 40 points and he was over 35 points over half the season.

LMAO... Hot shooting night, well that's one historic hot shooting night! Actually, make that one historic shooting season. Dude, trust me, when you look at it without bias, Kobe in the mid to late 2000's was one of the greatest players ever, and LeBron hasn't touched that yet.

19-Apr   vs New_Orleans      35
16-Apr   vs Phoenix      43
14-Apr   vs Portland      50

11-Apr   vs Golden_State      31
9-Apr   vs L.A.Clippers      38
7-Apr   at Phoenix      51
6-Apr   at Denver      42
2-Apr   vs Houston      43
31-Mar   at Seattle      43

30-Mar   vs San_Antonio      23
26-Mar   vs New_Orleans      30
24-Mar   vs Milwaukee      43
22-Mar   vs Sacramento      28
20-Mar   at Boston      43
19-Mar   at Cleveland      38

17-Mar   at New_Jersey      24
15-Mar   vs Minnesota      25
14-Mar   at Sacramento      30
12-Mar   vs Seattle      22
10-Mar   at San_Antonio      29
8-Mar   at New_Orleans      40
6-Mar   vs San_Antonio      43
4-Mar   vs Detroit      40
3-Mar   at Golden_State      42
1-Mar   at Portland      35

28-Feb   vs Orlando      28
26-Feb   vs Boston      40
24-Feb   at L.A.Clippers      39
23-Feb   vs Sacramento      36

21-Feb   vs Portland      27
15-Feb   vs Atlanta      39
13-Feb   vs Utah      23
11-Feb   vs Memphis      26
8-Feb   at Houston      32
7-Feb   at Dallas      24
4-Feb   at New_Orleans      35
3-Feb   at Charlotte      35

1-Feb   at Indiana      26
31-Jan   at New_York      40
29-Jan   at Detroit      39

27-Jan   vs Golden_State      30
22-Jan   vs Toronto      81
20-Jan   at Phoenix      37
19-Jan   at Sacramento      51
16-Jan   vs Miami      37
14-Jan   at Golden_State      38

12-Jan   vs Cleveland      27
11-Jan   at Portland      41
9-Jan   vs Indiana      45
7-Jan   at L.A.Clippers      50
6-Jan   vs Philadelphia      48
28-Dec   vs Memphis      45

26-Dec   at Washington      31
25-Dec   at Miami      37
23-Dec   at Orlando      21
20-Dec   vs Dallas      62
18-Dec   vs Houston      24
16-Dec   vs Washington      41
14-Dec   at Memphis      27
12-Dec   at Dallas      43
10-Dec   at Minnesota      35

9-Dec   at Chicago      23
7-Dec   at Toronto      11
6-Dec   at Milwaukee      33
4-Dec   vs Charlotte      29
2-Dec   vs Minnesota      20
1-Dec   at Utah      30
29-Nov   at San_Antonio      25
27-Nov   vs New_Jersey      46
24-Nov   vs Seattle      34
20-Nov   vs Chicago      43
18-Nov   vs L.A.Clippers      36
16-Nov   vs New_York      42

14-Nov   at Memphis      18
11-Nov   at Philadelphia      17
9-Nov   at Minnesota      28
8-Nov   at Atlanta      37
6-Nov   vs Denver      37
3-Nov   vs Phoenix      39

2-Nov   at Denver      33

Also, don't compare Kobe 2012-2013 to any Kobe between 2000-2010. That's not fair at all. that's like me comparing Wizard MJ to 90's Bulls MJ. Kobe was good this year, best SG is the game. But he wasn't as great as those Kobe's. Kobe in that era was top 5 all time.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2013, 01:10:43 PM »
Look at those numbers, all half of 81. Why aren't there more 60+ games to defend it wasn't just a better night than usual?

He did have nobody, but I mean if a Melo, Durant even LeBron put the ball up 35 times a game, they'd do something similar.

Last year in the playoffs against the Pacers and Celtics LeBron realized he needed to score to win they game, took the game in his own hands and dropped 45+. Kobe just did it in the regular season because he had no choice.

I never said he wasn't one of the greatest players ever. I actually acknowledged in this very thread, all-time you have to give it to Kobe right now because of what he accomplished. But like I said, LeBron is on pace to shatter it all.

Also LeBron's IQ allows him to get his team the best look every possession. Notice all you've mentioned so far is Kobe's scoring ability. If the Heat and the Lakers score 100 points each, Kobe will be responsible for 50 points, LeBron will be responsible for 85 of them.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »
Look at those numbers, all half of 81. Why aren't there more 60+ games to defend it wasn't just a better night than usual?

He did have nobody, but I mean if a Melo, Durant even LeBron put the ball up 35 times a game, they'd do something similar.

Last year in the playoffs against the Pacers and Celtics LeBron realized he needed to score to win they game, took the game in his own hands and dropped 45+. Kobe just did it in the regular season because he had no choice.

I never said he wasn't one of the greatest players ever. I actually acknowledged in this very thread, all-time you have to give it to Kobe right now because of what he accomplished. But like I said, LeBron is on pace to shatter it all.

Also LeBron's IQ allows him to get his team the best look every possession. Notice all you've mentioned so far is Kobe's scoring ability. If the Heat and the Lakers score 100 points each, Kobe will be responsible for 50 points, LeBron will be responsible for 85 of them.

LeBron is on pace to match Magic and Bird. That's great company. But until he does it, it means nothing.

Sccit

« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »

LeBron is on pace to match Magic and Bird. That's great company. But until he does it, it means nothing.

no he's not...by his 9th season, magic already had 5 titles. lebron has 1. he's on pace to matching dr. j, who won his first nba ring late in his career, just like lebron. dr. j did it with less, though.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2013, 02:50:15 PM »
We'll let his career play out. I once thought LeBron was closer to Dr. J, but when I looked up the numbers, the closest player he fit was Larry Bird. So I'll stick with that.

Sccit

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2013, 02:52:39 PM »
numbers dont tell it all...dr. j's prime was actually in the ABA, where he put up better numbers than lebron

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »
numbers dont tell it all...dr. j's prime was actually in the ABA, where he put up better numbers than lebron

Dr. J in his prime would have killed 99% of the players today in the NBA, I do believe that. I told my students that watching LeBron would have been like watching Dr. J, in that he did things no one else could do up to that point. The awe that people looked at Dr. J is only closest to LeBron. Jordan and Dominic both took parts of Dr. J and made it their own. But Dr. J was better than Dominic, not better than Jordan, and LeBron is more comparable to Dr. J than Kobe or MJ. Still, numbers wise, I was just saying LeBron is closest to Bird. The eye test says Dr. J, but by the numbers he's closest to Bird.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »

I'd say a majority of people hold Bird and Magic in a brighter light than Kobe anyway.

But still, so far all you've mentioned is Kobe's scoring. You're putting so much stock in Kobe heaving up 30+ a game and talking his scoring is unmeasurable and LeBron, barring injury is going to end his career with more points scored lol.

You've been reading NIKs posts for too long.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2013, 03:51:17 PM »

I'd say a majority of people hold Bird and Magic in a brighter light than Kobe anyway.

But still, so far all you've mentioned is Kobe's scoring. You're putting so much stock in Kobe heaving up 30+ a game and talking his scoring is unmeasurable and LeBron, barring injury is going to end his career with more points scored lol.

You've been reading NIKs posts for too long.

Nah, I just watch the games, and from what I've seen, in his Prime Kobe was the best player I've seen not named Michael Jordan. It's more than scoring, it's doing everything, and you forget Kobe was averaging 6 assist and 6 rebounds a game to go with those 40+ games. I see LeBron now, and I am just not convinced he's better than Kobe. And you know I'd say he was better if I thought he was. But from what I see, Kobe was just so damn good, the game too damn easy for him. LeBron is just a physical beast, and he over powers Kobe today, and I'll admit that. But Kobe at his best was dunking on Howard, he was dunking on every center and he was so damn good. Kobe is a bettered skilled player than LeBron, he is a true student of the game. And with that, when his body was at his best, Kobe just could not be beat. Except by Jordan. Kobe couldn't beat Jordan.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »
I mean, I guess we just have to agree to disagree. I feel your argument has a taste of bias from your childhood and the bulk of what you're saying is "what you saw". Kobe put you in awe when you watched him in his prime and that's fine and you're entitled to your opinion.

But to me I don't care if you score from half court shots, threes, midrange, fadeaway, postups, a combination of all of them, whatever. Bottom line, they both score about 30 a game career-wise and and LeBron takes him in almost every other facet. Not that Kobe can't do the things LeBron hasn't, just LeBron does them and better.

Like NIK said Kobe is a better passer...completely blasphemous, but whatever for the sake of argument lets say Kobe is close. He decided to be an efficient passer in 15 games in his career so were just going to give him credit for that? Even though he never did it in his career? Even thought Bron's proved it since day one? That's like saying Shaq should be the best player ever because IF he hit his free throws, he'd had 15000 more points. He never hit em.

Sccit

« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2013, 05:46:54 PM »

Like NIK said Kobe is a better passer...completely blasphemous, but whatever for the sake of argument lets say Kobe is close. He decided to be an efficient passer in 15 games in his career so were just going to give him credit for that? Even though he never did it in his career? Even thought Bron's proved it since day one? That's like saying Shaq should be the best player ever because IF he hit his free throws, he'd had 15000 more points. He never hit em.

no, it's more like saying larry bird was a better shooter than daniel gibson......gibson might have the numbers, cuz he shoots more threes. thats his game, he's a three point shooter. but bird simply doesn't shoot as many threes, cuz his focus is somethin different. does that mean bird is not a better shooter? if kobe wanted to make it his game, he could average 9+ assists, he's simply less passive of a player than lebron on offense. ull never catch kobe disappearing from the flow of things dependent on others for long stretches the way lebron does. lebron depends on his teammates as much as he depends on himself. kobe and mj were not like this...still doesnt mean theyre not better passers, just means they're less passive.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »
Because like we were talking about Kobe not passing...he doesn't do it and rather shoot the contested, double team.

LeBron doesn't "disappear" he just gets others involved in the team game that is basketball. Like I said earlier, Kobe is responsible for 50 of the Lakers 100, LeBron is responsible for 85 of the 100.

Tibs said himself, you can't stop him...so if you can't stop him, why would LeBron stop? He just gets the double team and instead of th 3-1 hero heave, he just kicks it to the corner with the precision of Peyton Manning and it's just game over.

Sccit

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:28 PM »
Because like we were talking about Kobe not passing...he doesn't do it and rather shoot the contested, double team.

LeBron doesn't "disappear" he just gets others involved in the team game that is basketball. Like I said earlier, Kobe is responsible for 50 of the Lakers 100, LeBron is responsible for 85 of the 100.

Tibs said himself, you can't stop him...so if you can't stop him, why would LeBron stop? He just gets the double team and instead of th 3-1 hero heave, he just kicks it to the corner with the precision of Peyton Manning and it's just game over.

if lebron is responsible for 85 of 100, kobe is for 100 of 100....any point scored by another player on the lakers comes off a kobe double or triple team, leaving said player open. yes, thats how bad our team was minus kobe this season. nobody could create for themselves or anyone else...not even nash.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
smh @ M dogg trying to rewrite the Nash era Suns history in this thread

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2013, 06:22:26 PM »

if lebron is responsible for 85 of 100, kobe is for 100 of 100....any point scored by another player on the lakers comes off a kobe double or triple team, leaving said player open. yes, thats how bad our team was minus kobe this season. nobody could create for themselves or anyone else...not even nash.

I can't keep going if that's your mindset, that's just ludicrous.