Author Topic: Lucas Matthysse Crushes Lamont Peterson, is Labeled ‘New Manny Pacquiao’  (Read 299 times)

Elano The One And Only

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Argentina's Lucas Matthysse (34-2, 32 KOs) spoiled talk of Fight of the Year possibilities Saturday night at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City by walking right through the tough and experienced Lamont Peterson (31-2-1, 16 KOs) in three rounds.
Despite dealing with passport issues that kept him from arriving in the country until Thursday and despite the legitimate world class opponent in front of him, Matthysse came out swinging. Every punch he landed would hurt Peterson and appropriate to his nickname, "The Machine" would coldly go about business until a crushing left hook eventually closed the show.
In what was supposed to be a competitive match-up, Matthysse proved the experts wrong with a seemingly effortless three-knockdown TKO over a fighter widely regarded as one of the three best junior welterweights in the world. In doing so, Matthysse has earned the right to face WBA and WBC titlist Danny Garcia later this year.
"We have a new Manny Pacquiao. He's from Argentina and his name is Lucas Matthysse," an exuberant Golden Boy CEO, Richard Schaefer said after the bout.
The heavy-handed Argentine has drawn plenty of comparison recently as his star has risen and as he puts aside controversial decision losses to Devon Alexander and Zab Judah from earlier in his career.
Matthysse is now working with mega-manager/adviser, Al Haymon and has been officially bumped up to the main stage after spending much of his career as an intriguing and underrated B-side. With Haymon on his side and Golden Boy now firmly in his corner, the two-fisted battler is all but guaranteed a spotlight on Showtime and the world title shot he has lusted after since being brought to America.
Originally brought in as an "opponent" with a good record to be fed to the real stars, Matthysse proved in his two losses that he was anything but a fall guy. He would eventually work his way up the ladder to the very top of the division.
As someone not scripted to be at the top, though, Matthysse would have to jump through hoops to get his world title shot while watching less accomplished, less deserving fighters get their opportunities ahead of him.
But now six wins (all inside the distance) after the shady split decision loss to Devon Alexander, Matthysse is next in line to face the two-belt, consensus champ, Garcia, and has to be considered the early betting favorite. Crushing Lamont Peterson is the high-water mark of his nine-year pro career so far, but winning the world titles would be the ultimate validation for the unlikely boxing star.
After capturing the belts, the possibilities will be endless. The world will be at Matthysse's feet and, provided he keeps energizing fans with brilliant offensive performances, it's quite possible that he could become a true superstar. Golden Boy has a surplus of quality talent at 140-147 lbs. and there are plenty of match-ups that could be made to build him into a legitimate draw.
Stranger things have happened in boxing. A non-English speaking Argentine hit man as an international draw really isn't all that far-fetched. Remember, there was a time when most would've also scoffed at the idea that Manny Pacquiao could become an international superstar. But as Pacquiao moved up in weight and brought his offensive talents to bouts with bigger names, his star rose. The same could happen to Matthysse-provided he gets the right fights and is promoted the right way.
But even if Matthysse's star only goes as far as the top of the jam-packed junior welterweight division, he has achieved a lot more than most ever imagined.

Sccit

pacquiao is washed up, we lookin for the new mayweather

Corona Man

fuck that shit puto de la hoya alredy fucked up that bitch mallate mayweather, the gringo judges got scared to vote him becoz they say he a transexual but he just drank to much of da coronas n got freaky fucked up holmes

DeeezNuuuts83

pacquiao is washed up, we lookin for the new mayweather
He's not washed up.  Yes, he lost two straight fights, but the first one was obviously the worst robbery in all of boxing history, and his second ended in a hard KO defeat, but before that last punch, the fight was very back-and-forth and he was even winning on the scorecards.  If he had gotten put down like Hatton did (in the sense that Hatton wasn't even putting up a legitimate fight in his last few showings), then I'd agree with you.  We'll just have to see how he does against Rios.  But Matthysse is making a name for himself and might be a good option in the future for the bigger names in 140-147.

I don't think anyone is really looking for the "new" Mayweather.  I do think he's the best boxer currently, but he's boring to watch (except during a couple rounds of a couple of his last several fights).  Seriously, out of the bigger boxing matches in the past year, his was probably the least entertaining.  We've had so many wars in the past year (Rios-Alvarado I and II, Pacquiao-Marquez IV, Bradley-Provodnikov, etc.) that were far more exciting.  Besides, I'm not too eager for the next hypocritical, defensive-minded fighter who dodges people.  If you disagree, then tell me why he was fine with fighting Cotto at 154 since that was what Cotto was comfortable at while stating that he did not need to rely on catchweights or make people drop down, but he recently stated he will only fight Canelo at 147, even though Floyd himself has a belt at 154.  Don't get me wrong, I want to see Floyd and Canelo go at it, and I think it would be a HUGE fight.  But I want to see fighters take fights, not put up roadblocks and hurdles.

To me, Floyd is like an NBA player whose field goal percentage is insanely good, but he only goes for 3s and never really goes in to attack and dunk on people.  Yeah, it's safe and effective and it wins games, but I watch the sport to be entertained with memorable moments.