Author Topic: Kidd interested in Nets coaching job  (Read 581 times)

Remedy360

Kidd interested in Nets coaching job
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:54:37 PM »
MIAMI (AP) -- Jason Kidd is interested in the Brooklyn Nets' coaching position and plans to talk to the team this week, a person familiar with the situation said Sunday.
Kidd led the Nets to consecutive NBA Finals in 2002-03 as a player and is interested in replacing P.J. Carlesimo, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team is not discussing its search.
The recently retired point guard's interest was first reported by Yahoo Sports.
The 40-year-old Kidd ended his career last week after a season with the Knicks, his 19th in the NBA. He is second on the career list in assists and steals, and is the Nets' franchise leader in most playoff statistical categories.
Kidd, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, has long been considered one of the NBA's smartest players, and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he would be capable of handling the transition to coaching.
"Well, you know, I think of course it's an individual thing, but when you've played in the league as long as Jason has and played for a number of coaches, he's pretty much seen everything that the NBA can offer. So he does have experience," Popovich said before Game 2 of the finals.
Popovich tried to sign Kidd away from the Nets a decade ago, believing he could help mentor point guard Tony Parker.
"If he's crazy enough to want to be a head coach in the league, I wish him all the best," Popovich said. "But he certainly has the intuitive skills to know what's going on out there. Obviously, he would be able to have relationships with the players that he's had with his coaches throughout."
Kidd had two years left on his contract when he retired after a difficult postseason. He played 6 1/2 years for the Nets when they were based in New Jersey and is friendly with Nets point guard Deron Williams.
Carlesimo led the Nets to a 49-33 record after replacing the fired Avery Johnson in December. The Nets told him he wouldn't be retained after losing to Chicago in the first round of the playoffs.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

Re: Kidd interested in Nets coaching job
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 02:50:59 AM »
I feel that Kidd should get some assistant coaching experience 1st.  Boy it would suck for Ewing if Kidd gets a coaching job over him, & Patrick has been getting lots of experience. 

Remedy360

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:30:30 AM »
I feel that Kidd should get some assistant coaching experience 1st.  Boy it would suck for Ewing if Kidd gets a coaching job over him, & Patrick has been getting lots of experience. 

LOL, no kidding. I feel like Kidd profiles as one a lot more though, but you never know how someone's gonna turn out. Anyways, between the two I would definitely guess he'd hold a smaller role on a staff as well, just thought it was interesting.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 03:55:33 AM »

LOL, no kidding. I feel like Kidd profiles as one a lot more though, but you never know how someone's gonna turn out. Anyways, between the two I would definitely guess he'd hold a smaller role on a staff as well, just thought it was interesting.

interesting for sure.

not sure i'd want that nets job though. 
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 12:06:24 PM »
kidd's been a coach on the court his entire career, makes sense...but brian shaw would be better.

Remedy360

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 05:54:31 PM »

interesting for sure.

not sure i'd want that nets job though. 

Gotta start somewhere, roster has a lot of potential at least.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:12:29 PM »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 02:11:04 PM »
Kidd needs to be an assistant for a few years before i'd hire him

but if the Nets can't get Hollins or a Van Gundy they would be wise to give Kidd a 2 year deal with playoff incentives...nothing more tho

Sccit

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »
Larry Bird with NO experience did well, same with Mark Jackson. It's about getting the right coaches around you and being a leader. Looks like Kidd is going to have some great assistants to help him out, could be a great hire.

kidd's been a coach on the court his entire career, makes sense...but brian shaw would be better.

I'm still holding out for Shaw to coach the Lakers next year, ESPECIALLY if Howard leaves. Gasol is the perfect triangle center, and if the Lakers can sign a good veteran PF, then Shaw would make perfect sense to hire on the Lakers. DAMN YOU JIM BUSS!!!

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 03:29:07 PM »
how hilarious is this?

during the Knicks first round playoff series, on off nights Kidd was studying the Brooklyn Nets vs Bulls games

dude wasn't invested on his own team, no woner he didn't score in his last 10 games

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »
Larry Bird with NO experience did well, same with Mark Jackson. It's about getting the right coaches around you and being a leader. Looks like Kidd is going to have some great assistants to help him out, could be a great hire.

I'm still holding out for Shaw to coach the Lakers next year, ESPECIALLY if Howard leaves. Gasol is the perfect triangle center, and if the Lakers can sign a good veteran PF, then Shaw would make perfect sense to hire on the Lakers. DAMN YOU JIM BUSS!!!

shaw was my first choice when phil left