Author Topic: Kobe Bryant picks all-time NBA team  (Read 2539 times)

Sccit

Re: Kobe Bryant picks all-time NBA team
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 02:36:25 AM »
kareem in his prime was a much better scorer, rebounder, and was no slouch on d either (11 time nba all-defense).

as for wilt vs kareem, wilt had the 50 ppg season in 1962, but he shot 50% from the field, compared to kareem's 35 ppg season in 1972 on 57%, which i'd say is equally impressive, eras and efficiency considered.

Mietek23

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 03:08:50 AM »
kareem in his prime was a much better scorer, rebounder, and was no slouch on d either (11 time nba all-defense).

as for wilt vs kareem, wilt had the 50 ppg season in 1962, but he shot 50% from the field, compared to kareem's 35 ppg season in 1972 on 57%, which i'd say is equally impressive, eras and efficiency considered.

Like I said, watching prime-Wilt going against prime-Kareem would be the ultimate battle for "The Greatest Center Of All-Time" spot. It's funny that you mentioned FG% in this argument in favor of Kareem, yet when it comes to Kobe-Jordan efficiency you immediately decline that stuff :)

Sccit

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 03:11:25 AM »

Like I said, watching prime-Wilt going against prime-Kareem would be the ultimate battle for "The Greatest Center Of All-Time" spot. It's funny that you mentioned FG% in this argument in favor of Kareem, yet when it comes to Kobe-Jordan efficiency you immediately decline that stuff :)

kobe jordan is different...kobe shot more threes cuz he had better range, which automatically lowers overall efficiency. kareem actually had more range than wilt, which should make his efficiency lower, but it didn't. kareem was the ultimate scoring center....could hit free throws, too.

Mietek23

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 03:14:30 AM »

kobe jordan is different...kobe shot more threes cuz he had better range, which automatically lowers overall efficiency. kareem actually had more range than wilt, which should make his efficiency lower, but it didn't. kareem was the ultimate scoring center....could hit free throws, too.

Exactly - so you can't blame everything on range in every debate, that's my point. Range is one thing - shot selection and efficiency is another thing.

Sccit

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 03:22:54 AM »

Exactly - so you can't blame everything on range in every debate, that's my point. Range is one thing - shot selection and efficiency is another thing.

no, u cant....but when some1 shoots twice as many threes, it's safe to say their percentage will naturally be lower.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »
6 rings in kareems era=at least 12 in bill russell's
in bill russell's what?

Russell owns 11 titles.  Kareem won 6 despite playing with a HOF point guard for all his finals appearances...those two HOF PG's were both better than Cousy BTW.

where do you base these equations from?  don't they cheapen the titles of the Mikan era Lakers?  Is Kareem punished by never winning a title without Robertson or Magic?  Those guys are both better than Bob Cousy. 

Sccit

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2013, 08:32:47 PM »
6 rings in kareems era=at least 12 in bill russell's
in bill russell's what?

Russell owns 11 titles.  Kareem won 6 despite playing with a HOF point guard for all his finals appearances...those two HOF PG's were both better than Cousy BTW.

where do you base these equations from?  don't they cheapen the titles of the Mikan era Lakers?  Is Kareem punished by never winning a title without Robertson or Magic?  Those guys are both better than Bob Cousy. 

but in terms of era, cousy was head-and-shoulders above most the other guards in the league....thats why i said if u factor in eras, russell won when there was less team and less competition. either way, prime for prime, kareem shits on russell.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:02 PM »
that's a joke...Cousy only won 6 of 11 titles playing with Russell.  Russell won 3 straight titles the years after Cousy left the team and 5 out of the last 6.  Russell's career alone without Cousy equals as many rings as Magic or Kareem :D

Sccit

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 10:50:57 PM »
doesnt matter he always had a great cast, but it's the era that made them so great. less teams, less talent....the showtime lakers woulda swept those celtic teams 10/10 times.

Citizen-Y

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »
Dreams stock increases when you compare him against his contemporaries.  He was the best center in the league during a time when the league was at its height with talented bigs. 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2013, 12:14:28 PM »
Dreams stock increases when you compare him against his contemporaries.  He was the best center in the league during a time when the league was at its height with talented bigs. 

Problem is that Kareem played head to head with Hakeem and it was to close to say Hakeem was better in his youth than Kareem in his late 30's. Kareem also played in the 80's, also in the height of the league, and he dominated as an old man.

Citizen-Y

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »

Problem is that Kareem played head to head with Hakeem and it was to close to say Hakeem was better in his youth than Kareem in his late 30's. Kareem also played in the 80's, also in the height of the league, and he dominated as an old man.

Kareem was a shell of his self by the time Dream, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, Smits, Divac were rounding out.  Hell, Sabonis came in a bit to late but had success.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2013, 06:08:33 PM »
Sabonis came to the NBA after his prime sadly, i think because of political reasons.  he was great.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 06:46:54 PM »
Sabonis came to the NBA after his prime sadly, i think because of political reasons.  he was great.

America was robbed of Sabonis in his prime. Dude was a beast in international play. I didn't know the Blazers drafted him in 1986?!? He didn't play until 1995 in the US. Can you imagine Sabonis and Drexler vs. Jordan and Pippen in 1992. That would have been one of the best finals ever. Oh well. Sabonis is the wrench in it all.

Kareem was a shell of his self by the time Dream, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, Mutombo, Smits, Divac were rounding out.  Hell, Sabonis came in a bit to late but had success.

And yet, Kareem was averaging 17.5 ppg and 6.7 apg in 1986-1987, when Dream, Ewing, Laimbeer, The Chief and Moses Malone all played. "Cap" was the king of all centers, even in the 80's. And doing what he did, and being a "shell of himself" was still a great feat. The 1987-1988 and 88-89 seasons, he was 40 and 41 years old, and averaged 14 and 6, and 10 and 4, well only getting 28 and 20 minutes a game respectively. Yet Kareem was still banging and even scored 24 points and grapped 13 rebounds in the NBA Finals against Laimbeer in the game Magic Johnson got hurt in. It was in a losing effort, but he was 41 years old, playing for an NBA title and still hanging with the young guys, and going all out to lead the Lakers to a close game with their season on the line. Had Kareem been 31 instead of 41, there is no question the Lakers win that game and pull back into the series.

We act like Kareem was this ancient player, who was washed up in the 80's already. But he was so consistent that he still had great game in the 80's and was able to continue to play at a high level. With many players, we ask, what would happen if they played against each other, but Kareem did play against the greats of the 80's, and still dominated. Even Hakeen for a year and a half. That's why he's the GOAT. If he dominated Hakeem as an old man, imagine in his prime.

Citizen-Y

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 07:50:38 PM »
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=olajuha01&p2=abdulka01

Kareem was dominant the first two years of Hakeems career.  Then the stats turn, just about the time Sampson left Houston.