Author Topic: All Things Trayvon Martin  (Read 7784 times)

Elano The One And Only

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: All Things Trayvon Martin
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »
The following essay is an adaptation of a Facebook post by Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson in response to George Zimmerman's acquittal in the killing of Trayvon Martin. Questlove is the drummer for the Roots and the bandleader on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon.

I'm trying not to internalize these feelings about the Trayvon Martin case and make it about me — but hey, it is what it is, and maybe I'm melodramatic. All I'm consumed with is my positioning in life.
I often tell cute, self-deprecating celebrity run-in stories that end with my own "pie in the face" moment. But rarely do I share stories of a more serious nature, another genre of "pie in the face" moments, mostly because in the age of social media, most people are quick to dismiss my tales as #FirstWorldProblems. But I can't tell you how many times a year I'm in a serious situation, only to hear the magic words "Oh, wait … Questlove?" Hey guys, it's Questlove. "We're so sorry, you can go!" Like, five to seven times a year, a night ending in the words "Thank God for that Afro or we'd never have recognized you" happens to me.
I'm in scenarios all the time in which primitive, exotic-looking me — six-foot-two, 300 pounds, uncivilized Afro, for starters — finds himself in places where people who look like me aren't normally found. I mean, what can I do? I have to be somewhere on Earth, correct? In the beginning — let's say 2002, when the gates of "Hey, Ahmir, would you like to come to [swanky elitist place]?" opened — I'd say "no," mostly because it's been hammered in my DNA to not "rock the boat," which means not making "certain people" feel uncomfortable.
I mean, that is a crazy way to live. Seriously, imagine a life in which you think of other people's safety and comfort first, before your own. You're programmed and taught that from the gate. It's like the opposite of entitlement.
The problem is, I do have desires to go to certain places and do certain things and enjoy the perks and benefits of being a person who works his arse off as much as I do. So I got over my hang-ups of not wanting to be the odd guy in the room sometime around 2007. It's been mixed results at best. Some of it is "Oh, that wasn't that bad"; some of it is "Well, that was awkward … " This is the prime reason I hate vacations. I don't feel like being the "odd guy out" at vacation spots, hence the reason my 2009 hobo journey train trip was my best vacation ever. There's no scaring people on a train ride. My friends know that I hate parking lots and elevators, not because they are places that danger could occur, but it's a prime place in which someone of my physical size can be seen as a dangerous element. I wait and wait in cars until I feel it's safe for me to make people feel safe. I know most of y'all are eye-rolling, but if you spent a good three months in these size fourteens, you'd understand why I take that position.

I recently told a friend one of these stories: I live in a "nice" building. I work hard. You know I work hard. My logic is (naïve alert in 5, 4, 3, 2 … ) "Well, there can't be any fear of any type in this building" — you've got to go through hell and high water just to get accepted to live here, like it's Dartmouth or UPenn. Secondly, there are, like, five to eight guards on duty 24/7, so this spot is beyond safe. Like, Oscar winners and kids of royalty and sports guys and mafia goombahs live here. One night, I get in the elevator, and just as the door closes this beautiful woman gets on. Because of a pain in the arse card device you have to use to get to your floor, it just makes it an easier protocol for whoever is pressing floors to take everyone's request, like when you are at the window of a drive-thru. So I press my floor number, and I ask her, "What floor, ma'am?" (Yes, I say "ma'am," because … sigh, anyway.) She says nothing, stands in the corner. Mind you, I just discovered the Candy Crush app, so if anything, I'm the rude one because I'm more obsessed with winning this particular level than anything else. In my head I'm thinking, There's no way I can be a threat to a woman this fine if I'm buried deep in this game — so surely she feels safe.
The humor comes in that I thought she was on my floor because she never acknowledged my floor request. (She was also bangin', so inside I was like, "Dayuuuuuuuuuuum, she lives on my floor? *bow chicka wowow*!" Instantly I was on some "What dessert am I welcome-committee-ing her with?") Anywho, the door opens, and I waited to let her off first because I am a gentleman. (Old me would've rushed first, thus not putting me in the position to have to follow her, God forbid if she, too, makes a left and it seems like I'm following her.) So door opens and I flirt, "Ladies first." She says, "This is not my floor." Then I assume she is missing her building card, so I pulled my card out to try to press her floor yet again. She says, "That's okay."
Then it hit me: "Oh God, she purposely held that information back." The door closed. It was a "pie in the face" moment.
I laughed at it. Sort of.
Inside I cried. But if I cried at every insensitive act that goes on in the name of safety, I'd have to be committed to a psych ward. I've just taught myself throughout the years to just accept it and maybe even see it as funny. But it kept eating at me (Well, I guess she never watched the show …  My English was super clear … I called her "ma'am" like I was Webster … Those that know you know that you're cool, but you definitely know that you are a walking rape nightmare — right, Ahmir? Of course she was justified in not saying her floor. That was her prerogative! You are kinda scary-looking, I guess?). It's a bajillion thoughts, all of them self-depreciating voices slowly eating my soul away.
But my feelings don't count. I don't know why it's that way. Mostly I've come to the conclusion that people over six feet and over weight regulation or as dark as me (or in my tax bracket) simply don't have feelings. Or it's assumed we don't have feelings. I mean, it's partially right: I literally figured the only way for me to not go insane in a career that creates junkies (or at best Kanye) is to desensitize myself from feelings. The thing is, though, I'm a halfway crook, an awesome poker player. Yeah, I hurt. But I'll be damned if I let you know that. Call me a 75 percent robot, 25 percent human being.
When I got off a plane Sunday morning, after the "not guilty" verdict in the George Zimmerman trial, and I was waiting in customs, I read an apology e-mail from a friend who said, "I am wrong about many things, but I want to apologize for taking that particular story you told me too lightly." The one about the woman in the elevator. And it kinda touched me. My friend related to me, and it was a gut-punch I wasn't expecting on an already emotional day, so I guess I started to almost … cry?
Then the Roots' manager Rich hits me on the phone seconds later. Boom. I know it's sad to say, but we in the Roots circle love each other like family. But not enough to trust each other in vulnerable moments. (This is a man who waited until he was on the operating table, minutes away from surgery, to finally reveal to me he was going through a life-or-death cancer procedure, simply because he didn't want to distract me or create excuses as to why I didn't finish my book.) On the phone, I do my best "straighten up, stop sobbing" shtick, and he says, "What's wrong?" In four seconds flat, I bury it, and I'm back to normal. I'm not proud of that. I've spent eleven of the last twenty years in therapy trying to deal with that. So I decide to abandon Operation Bury, and I say, "Well … "
"What's wrong?" asks Rich.
How do I answer that? This does NOT feel like an average day. Remember how nice everyone was post–September 11? Eerie. Almost surreal. Like everyone is acting "too nice," and I don't know how to process that. Then there are people that are acting like nothing happened. ("Hey, Quest, where is Dave Chappelle at!?") It was just one of those days that didn't feel normal to me. But Rich keeps picking at the question like a three-month-old scab: "What's wrong?"
And I'm like, "Need I say it!?" I can't tell if he's provoking me or not. I don't know how to not internalize the overall message this whole Trayvon case has taught me:
You ain't shit.
That's the lesson I took from this case.
You ain't shit.
These words are deep because these are words I've heard my whole life: I heard from adults in my childhood that I needed to be "about something" other than all that banging and clanging and music I play all the time. As I got older, I heard I wasn't as good as so-and-so is at music. All the "you ain't shit" stories I got — Jesus, it's a wonder I made it.
Rich asks, "Wait, you're not surprised, are you?" I'm not surprised at all, but that doesn't mean it stings any less.
I should be angry, right? I remember when the Sean Bell verdict came out and I just knew, "Oh, God, New York is gonna go up in flames." And yet no one was fuming. It was like, "[Shrug] … No surprises here. That's life."
Rich asks again, "Are you surprised … that you ain't shit?"
It hurts to hear it, and I say, "I'm not surprised, but who wants to be reminded?" What fat person wants to hear that they aren't pleasing to the eye? Or what addict wants to hear they are a constant F-up? Who wants to be reminded that — shrug — that's just the way it is?
I guess I'm struggling to get at least 1 percent of this feeling back, from all this protective numbness I've built around me, to keep me from feeling. Because, at the end of the day, I'm still human.
... Right?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/07/questlove-trayvon-martin-and-i-aint-shit.html

Sccit

« Reply #106 on: July 17, 2013, 09:33:11 AM »

LOL IF U BELIEVE IN THE COURT SYSTEM, THEN U HAVE ANOTHER THING COMIN

the court system is certainly not a perfect system but what is better?  It's certainly better than an angry mob of people running around killing people or like what they have in Egypt where everyone floods the streets everyday to protest every event throwing molotov cocktails or other places in the world where there is gang warfare, or tribal warfare, or rule by warlords.

THE COURT SYSTEM IS A JOKE AND IM NOT SAYIN  THERE'S BETTER OR WORSE, BUT TO SETTLE FOR LESS JUST BECAUSE OTHER PLACES HAVE IT WORSE IS PRETTY DAMN IGNORANT. TRUTH IS, ZIMMERMAN WOULD BE IN JAIL RIGHT NOW IF HE WAS BLACK AND THE KID WAS A NERDY WHITE GUY, AND ANY1 WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS IN STRAIGHT DENIAL.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:42:25 AM by NIKCC »

Sccit

« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3J84CBVjf0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/J3J84CBVjf0</a>

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2013, 11:46:11 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3J84CBVjf0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/J3J84CBVjf0</a>

Let's see, who is going to be screaming? Someone who is being beaten and getting his nose broken and head bashed against the sidewalk, or someone whose only injuries were knuckle damage from beating Zimmerman?

Sccit

« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »
HERES WHAT COMMON SENSE TELLS ME

1.ZIMMERMAN WAS STALKING TRAYVON
2.ZIMMERMAN CAUGHT UP WIT TRAYVON
3.TRAYVON ASKED HIM "U GOT A PROBLEM HOMIE?"
4.ZIMMERMAN PULLED OUT THE GUN AND POINTED IT AT HIM
5.TRAYVON TACKLED ZIMMERMAN IN FEAR OF HIS LIFE AND GOT KILLED

IF U HAD A GUN ON U AND SOME1 WAS APPROACHING U WHO U THOUGHT WAS A THREAT, WOULD U WAIT UNTIL THEY PUNCHED U TO PULL THE GUN OUT? IT'S COMMON SENSE, REALLY

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:38 PM »
what would zimmerman be stalking someone he didn't know?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2013, 12:28:41 PM »

IF U HAD A GUN ON U AND SOME1 WAS APPROACHING U WHO U THOUGHT WAS A THREAT, WOULD U WAIT UNTIL THEY PUNCHED U TO PULL THE GUN OUT? IT'S COMMON SENSE, REALLY

It makes sense in this aspect. It's very hard to pull out a gun from your holster when you are on your back and getting pounded to the ground. Also, there is a slight sound of cocking the gun, which if someone cocks a gun it usually means you have time to cock the gun. Hard to do all of that well someone is pounding you to the ground.

what would zimmerman be stalking someone he didn't know?

Why do you want to talk to a pretty girl you don't know? Because something about their looks draws you to them. Zimmerman didn't know Martin, thought he was a thief because black people have been robbing homes and figured he was the guy. After all, they all get away and on his night they weren't.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
so Zimmerman is gay for Trayvon?

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »

according to u he pulled the gun and wait until tayvon smashed his head really badly and inflicted quite a damage - doent make any sense

why he just ignore him and leave since he had relatives living like few meters from place of shooting
maybe amount of lean he used affected his reasoning (see below) and wanted to fight him and got shot

so Zimmerman is gay for Trayvon?

apparently trayvon was a homophobic

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2013, 01:45:42 PM »

the court system is certainly not a perfect system but what is better?  It's certainly better than an angry mob of people running around killing people or like what they have in Egypt where everyone floods the streets everyday to protest every event throwing molotov cocktails or other places in the world where there is gang warfare, or tribal warfare, or rule by warlords.

THE COURT SYSTEM IS A JOKE AND IM NOT SAYIN  THERE'S BETTER OR WORSE, BUT TO SETTLE FOR LESS JUST BECAUSE OTHER PLACES HAVE IT WORSE IS PRETTY DAMN IGNORANT. TRUTH IS, ZIMMERMAN WOULD BE IN JAIL RIGHT NOW IF HE WAS BLACK AND THE KID WAS A NERDY WHITE GUY, AND ANY1 WHO SAYS OTHERWISE IS IN STRAIGHT DENIAL.

cmon nik theres cases all the time where black on white violence goes unpunished and in fact statistically who do you think does violence to who?

exactly

and your analogy doesnt really apply imho b/c zimmerman aint "white" or a "white hispanic" (lmao at mdogg for tryna defend that term as if its a real term i think hes just a lib-troll at this point hes gotta be no ones that dumb) he looks like a hispanic and even calls himself one

the fact that this case went to trial at all with no evidence against zimmerman for murder charges tells us that the justice system is completely corruptable when it comes to pressure from racial groups, esp. minorities (and says a lot about our society to make this all about race, see: dumb and politically correct)  but i will say that race plays an unfair part in many trials which works against and for whites and blacks alike, thats fact. 
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »
funny how black people were happy when OJ was innocent

but mad when this hispanic guy is found innocent

okay i'm just playin  ;D

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2013, 02:06:39 PM »

okay i'm just playin  ;D

its true though

shows how racially divided people are

i honestly think the average white is much more sensitive to racial issues than the average minority, just my opinion (dont be mad dubcc)
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2013, 02:11:00 PM »

I find it ironic, that you teach MDogg and yet you appear to not recognise the conjecture on your part or maybe you do and conjecture is now the basis for someone's guilt, did the jury have reasonable doubt to find him not guilty? Absolutely

So on that note he is not guilty, it's called the justice system, you might not like it's outcome, but without it everyone is fucked.

The political interference in this case should be disturbing to everyone and yet again the most dispiriting thing about this, if the "right wing" government had done to a left winger, then the liberals would be up in arms, but no, as things burn, and black people die in their thousands at the hands of other black people, the Black Ku Klux Klan starts gnashing their teeth and their black racist followers start inflicting more beat downs on white people and in the case of the 2 brothers who sported free zimmerman stickers, perhaps murdering them.

This was never a case about the public good, this was about race baiting to a point where black people would feel like they are under attack by your ordinary every day well meaning white person and furthermore, this serves as a springboard for Obama to perhaps make changes to the justice system, after all, it's for Trayvon.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »

okay i'm just playin  ;D
that was a child hack. do you have kids ?
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Sccit

« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2013, 03:54:05 PM »

cmon nik theres cases all the time where black on white violence goes unpunished and in fact statistically who do you think does violence to who?

exactly

and your analogy doesnt really apply imho b/c zimmerman aint "white" or a "white hispanic" (lmao at mdogg for tryna defend that term as if its a real term i think hes just a lib-troll at this point hes gotta be no ones that dumb) he looks like a hispanic and even calls himself one

the fact that this case went to trial at all with no evidence against zimmerman for murder charges tells us that the justice system is completely corruptable when it comes to pressure from racial groups, esp. minorities (and says a lot about our society to make this all about race, see: dumb and politically correct)  but i will say that race plays an unfair part in many trials which works against and for whites and blacks alike, thats fact. 

NO EVIDENCE AGAINST ZIMMERMAN?? HE KILLED SOME1!!....WHAT MORE EVIDENCE DO THEY NEED? U KILL SOME1, U GO TO JAIL- SIMPLE AS THAT.