Author Topic: Alex Rodriguez is 7 home runs away from tying Willie Mays  (Read 361 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Alex Rodriguez is 7 home runs away from tying Willie Mays
« on: September 11, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »
Doubt he gets it over the next 3 weeks but I predict he wins his appeal against MLB and passes Mays next year.

I don't want A-rod to pass Babe Ruth at 714 homers but it'd be funny to see him pass Mays just to make Bud Selig look bad.

MistaNova

Re: Alex Rodriguez is 7 home runs away from tying Willie Mays
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:12:25 PM »
I think Selig's already done a fine job of making an ass of himself. That confused look he always has on his face at press conferences says it all.

Personally I want A-Rod to go beyond Willie 'Corked Bat-using' Mays and break Barry Bonds's record. Just so he can laugh in the media and the haters's faces and go down as the greatest player of all time. Chemically enhanced or otherwise. #ARod4HoF

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 08:33:22 PM »
there is a 0.01% chance he passes Barroid Bonds

he's oevr 100 behind and is facing a long-ass suspension.  unless he wins the appeal AND is roiding his ass off he has no shot.

Remedy360

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 09:04:32 PM »
I think Selig's already done a fine job of making an ass of himself. That confused look he always has on his face at press conferences says it all.

Personally I want A-Rod to go beyond Willie 'Corked Bat-using' Mays and break Barry Bonds's record. Just so he can laugh in the media and the haters's faces and go down as the greatest player of all time. Chemically enhanced or otherwise. #ARod4HoF

LOL your defense of A-Rod has gone dramatically overboard.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 09:11:46 PM »

you should love a-rod

he was a Seattle product and had his 2nd best year there (1996).

but his best year was 2007 on the Yankees... .314 average, 143 runs scored, 54 HR and 156 RBI.  and i think he had 20 SB's.  even compared to other steroid users like Bonds and McGwire that year was just unreal.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 09:41:21 PM »
I hope he passes them all and gets in first ballot.

MistaNova

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »

Same can be said for how much hate people give A-Rod. 75% of the criticism he gets is undeserved and just BS the media put out that the mindless sheep ate up. Case in point? Various articles written by national sports writers attacking his family and laughing at how his father abandoned him as a child.

On a side-note, I've yet to hear a real arguement disproving my opinion that A-Rod is the greatest baseball player of all time. Everyone just plays the "PEDs/steroids" card or bring up names like Babe Ruth from an era where pitching wasn't even half as good as it is now and when there were only white people in the MLB.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 10:38:17 PM »

Same can be said for how much hate people give A-Rod. 75% of the criticism he gets is undeserved and just BS the media put out that the mindless sheep ate up. Case in point? Various articles written by national sports writers attacking his family and laughing at how his father abandoned him as a child.

On a side-note, I've yet to hear a real arguement disproving my opinion that A-Rod is the greatest baseball player of all time. Everyone just plays the "PEDs/steroids" card or bring up names like Babe Ruth from an era where pitching wasn't even half as good as it is now and when there were only white people in the MLB.

Babe Ruth played with latino's and native americans.  Black people were not allowed and asians were barely on the map as far as baseball, but Babe Ruth did play with other races...just none that were "dark".

and Babe Ruth's statistics in barnstorming games against negro league teams show that he was just as good against anyone.

Remedy360

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 11:17:02 PM »

you should love a-rod

he was a Seattle product and had his 2nd best year there (1996).

Yeah, he was great here , everyone loved him, which is one of the reasons he's hated so much. After he lead our team to the 2000 ALCS he talked about wanting to stay here then he dipped out to shithole Texas (at the time) cause they offered him the most money. Now, you can't fault a guy too much for doing that, but he was just such a phony about the entire thing, and whined about how we didn't want to keep him when that was BS. People would've already been pissed at him, but the ugly exit made it worse. His first time back with Texas was a complete  circus, people threw monopoly money and all types of other shit on the field and booed him to shit. It's been similar every trip back too. Seattle was ahead of the curve on this one.

Remedy360

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »

You make good points. But at the same time he brings a lot of it on himself. Contrast him with a guy like Jeter whose done the whole NY thing- being out in the party scene, dating models, etc, people rarely bash him because he never shoots himself in the foot like A-Rod continues to do.

MistaNova

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
You make good points. But at the same time he brings a lot of it on himself. Contrast him with a guy like Jeter whose done the whole NY thing- being out in the party scene, dating models, etc, people rarely bash him because he never shoots himself in the foot like A-Rod continues to do.

The ying-yang phenomenon that is the Jeter-A-Rod thing is basically the modern version of the Maris-Mantle thing. You've got the outsider that the media and fanbase considers the "villain" and the homegrown guy who's treated like he's Jesus Christ.
If you've already got an A-Rod or Maris there who's been forced to accept this "villain" persona you just go after him and treat Jeter or Mantle like they're the superhero sent down from the heavens to even out the good and bad in the clubhouse. The media has always fed this narrative (or these narratives depending on how you look at it) onto the people and they just suck it in like it's air. And unless Jeter does something to destroy his legacy/reputation to smithereens (even I have to admit that A-Rod's legacy is all but tarnished) that's the way it's going to be until they're both dead. And only after A-Rod dies will he finally be accepted by the public (look at Maris's legacy today).

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 04:36:29 PM »
he'll always be viewed as a cheater

MistaNova

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 07:39:29 PM »
He deserves to be viewed as the greatest player of all time.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 08:06:23 PM »
He deserves to be viewed as the greatest player of all time.

no, that's Babe Ruth.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 04:59:15 PM »
How many stolen bases until he passes Willie Mays Hayes?