Author Topic: Biggie's "Long Kiss Goodnight" and the Tupac Controversy  (Read 1791 times)

MOBNigga06

Biggie's "Long Kiss Goodnight" and the Tupac Controversy
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:04:30 AM »
I've been out of the loop in the online world of Tupac and Biggie news, but I remember hearing that there was an interview where Lil Cease finally admitted that "Long Kiss Goodnight" was a diss on Tupac. It always seemed pretty obvious to me that the song is calling out Pac, with lines like: "When my men bust, you just, move with such stamina/Slugs missed ya, I ain't mad at ya." And he even says he's "aiming at these fuckin maniacs who put my name in raps." Then there's the "laugh now cry later" reference. And the line about "you hold your toast shakey" seems to reference Stretch's claim that Pac shot himself by accident at Quad studios.

The song was recorded at least three days after Pac died because it talks about Biggie's car accident. He also disses the nigga for being dead: "You're bleeding lovely, with your spirit above me/ or beneath me, your whole life, you lived sneaky."

Listening to Long Kiss Goodnight after all this time, I think Big went harder in this one song than Pac did in all of the many disses he recorded against Big. Most of the shit Pac said was pretty superficial: I fucked your bitch, you're wack, fat, cross-eyed, down syndrome, I let you sleep on my couch, etc. Pac never recorded anything like Long Kiss Goodnight.

And that line "my team in the marine blue six coupe" would seem to suggest that Biggie is taking credit for the Crips killing Pac. The car of the shooter wasn't blue, but Pac was killed by the Crips. I doubt that Biggie really ordered the hit, but why else mention Blue like that?
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

hrsmn_london

Re: Biggie's "Long Kiss Goodnight" and the Tupac Controversy
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 09:50:52 AM »
I think you're talking bollocks. How is Biggie gonna take credit for a hit put out by Haitian Jack? 2Pac mentioning his begging bitches to Fuck Big was funny...

hrsmn_london

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 09:54:37 AM »
Plus, when did dissing a deceased rapper become cool? Only dudes that went at 2Pac w good raps were Chino and Prodigy.

Mr. Theo

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:11:42 AM »
Pac was at the top . I Don't See Biggie album in 96'.

Hit Em Up shook Biggie career at the time

Diss a nigga when he's dead? NOO! this is a bitch move

meanwhile ...

The Compton Bloods silenced Biggie's big mouth...

Pac and Big Jake rest in peace !!

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

Fresh Bone

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »

Listening to Long Kiss Goodnight after all this time, I think Big went harder in this one song than Pac did in all of the many disses he recorded against Big. Most of the shit Pac said was pretty superficial: I fucked your bitch, you're wack, fat, cross-eyed, down syndrome, I let you sleep on my couch, etc. Pac never recorded anything like Long Kiss Goodnight.

It's true 'Pac never recorded anything like Long Kiss Goodnight but 2 things to take into account;
1. All of 'Pac's disses were blatant, you could never suggest that he subliminally went at anyone, he really hated the way Bad Boy handled the situation and they DID do some sucker shit to him
2. Pac went to New York and was at Saturday Night Live, went to awards shows, etc, basically if anyone disagreed with or wanted to get at him, he was not hard to find. Biggie dissed him when he couldn't respond (by being dead).

I'm from the school of thought that both of these things mean something and they are the crux of this difference.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 11:43:25 AM »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 12:20:40 PM »
I think this was always one of Big's problems and it may have led to his downfall. I don't think he had specifically anything to do with either of the Pac shootings, the fatal one or the one at Quad Studios, but his actions in how he handled them seemed to suggest that he didn't always know how to step when it came to these situations. I think Ice-T explained it best in one of the docs I saw when he stated that if he had problems with an artist out in New York and they got killed, he would have waited at least a full year before he tried going out there on a publicity tour and when he did, he would have made it point to disown any connection to the murder.

When I look at one of Big's last interviews that he did out there and his little throwaway freestyle is bars from "Long Kiss Goodnight", I really have to wonder what is going through not just his head but those of the people around him. Let's also put in perspective that he already had that situation in the Bay with some of E-40's people after he badmouthed 40 in the press. It kind of fits Puffy's M.O. to believe that because Pac and Suge were not around, that it was a comfortable scenario for them but whoever planned that LA trip made a bad call all around.

Mr. Theo

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 02:46:16 PM »
most of NY cats aren't gangsta .

P.Diddy,Biggie,Nas,Jay-Z,50 Cent,Moby Deep and the list goes on ....

LOX Dudes, Cam'Ron and Kool G. Rap are examples of Real G's .

Many rappers in the West aren't gangstas but have a lot of respect and background on the streets.

Bloods and Crips working baby!!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 02:48:09 PM by Mr. Theo »

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

MOBNigga06

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
I think this was always one of Big's problems and it may have led to his downfall. I don't think he had specifically anything to do with either of the Pac shootings, the fatal one or the one at Quad Studios, but his actions in how he handled them seemed to suggest that he didn't always know how to step when it came to these situations. I think Ice-T explained it best in one of the docs I saw when he stated that if he had problems with an artist out in New York and they got killed, he would have waited at least a full year before he tried going out there on a publicity tour and when he did, he would have made it point to disown any connection to the murder.

When I look at one of Big's last interviews that he did out there and his little throwaway freestyle is bars from "Long Kiss Goodnight", I really have to wonder what is going through not just his head but those of the people around him. Let's also put in perspective that he already had that situation in the Bay with some of E-40's people after he badmouthed 40 in the press. It kind of fits Puffy's M.O. to believe that because Pac and Suge were not around, that it was a comfortable scenario for them but whoever planned that LA trip made a bad call all around.

Yeah, it seems to me that it is NOT a coincidence that right before Biggie got shot, he rapped verses from "Long Kiss Goodnight" on Sway's radio show. Even the slow homies are going to know that "slugs missed ya, I ain't mad at ya" is a reference to Pac (and Suge). In that same radio freestyle, he rapped some lines from "You're Nobody Till Somebody Kills You" where he says "I leave my competition respirator style." I'd not be surprised if Big got killed for dissing a dead man.

The difference between Pac and Big is that Pac was the same man on the mic that he was in the interviews. In all of Biggie's interviews after Pac's death, Biggie said he would never wish death on Pac and that he was shook by the news...yet on wax he makes a song taking pleasure in the fact that Pac's dead, with a chorus saying "time for you to die."

Wasn't it the case that people from Bad Boy claimed that Long Kiss Goodnight was recorded before Pac's death? That's an obvious lie, since Big makes reference to his own car accident, which happened after Pac died. I know that the Bad Boy camp also claimed that "Who Shot Ya?" was recorded before Pac got shot, but the lyrics do sound like they're directed at Pac.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 08:11:41 PM »
The funny part about Long Kiss Goodnight is that isn't even the OG version on the album. RZA said in a interview with XXL that Biggie actually redid his verses. The 1st one went at Pac even more so than this one.

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 01:23:46 AM »
The funny part about Long Kiss Goodnight is that isn't even the OG version on the album. RZA said in a interview with XXL that Biggie actually redid his verses. The 1st one went at Pac even more so than this one.

I think you're wrong there. The only thing that was redid was the puffy adlibs and maybe something on the hook as the verses are as they are.

That aside, BIG carried himself like he knew what was going on etc and thats what pissed Pac off. As another poster mentioned, he handled the situation wrong, both times.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 06:50:18 AM »
Also, in Long Kiss, when Biggie says "be the cats with no dough tried to play me at my show"...sounds like he's talking about E-40 and the situation where he got set up in the bay?

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 07:42:07 AM »

I think you're wrong there. The only thing that was redid was the puffy adlibs and maybe something on the hook as the verses are as they are.

That aside, BIG carried himself like he knew what was going on etc and thats what pissed Pac off. As another poster mentioned, he handled the situation wrong, both times.

I'm just repeating what RZA said in a XXL interview. Actually it was Lil Cease that said it.

23 “Long Kiss Goodnight”

Produced by RZA
Lil’ Cease That was a one-nighter. That was about ’Pac. He had some shit at the beginning of that though, nobody heard it, on the reel. We had to change it. It was a little too much. I can’t remember what Big said about him, but it was terrible. It couldn’t make it. He didn’t want to do it. He had some fire. But he didn’t want to make it too much. He just wanted to address it and to let nigga know, “I know what’s going on, and I could get wreck if I want to.” Like, “If I really wanted to get on ya niggas, I could.”

Puffy Naaah. It was just some MC lyrics. I know people wanna have their imagination, but it was just lyrics. You’re hearing it from the horse’s mouth. I would tell the truth. If Biggie was going to do a song about 2Pac, he would have just come out with it and said his name. Their gloves were basically off. 2Pac had did “Hit ’Em Up.”

RZA Biggie was always pretty cool with me. He liked the Wu-Tang sound. He requested me to be on the album. I didn’t know if everybody in his camp agreed with it, because at one point there was a little bit of tension in the air—with Raekwon’s [Only Built 4] Cuban Linx… album and some of the statements that was made. But we was always cool with each other.

Biggie wrote the verse after his accident. At first we had Cappadonna doing the hook, talking a lot of shit. In the beginning, you can hear Cappadonna. Then Puff did his thing at the end. I didn’t know it was going to be there but I know how they work. I wasn’t in the studio when they did that. I went in a couple of weeks after he did the verse. They wanted to mix it themselves, but they didn’t even know where to put things at. I had so many sounds in there. They didn’t know what the fuck I was thinking about.

We had about 10 basic musical elements on that track. At the end he’s talking about everybody was fucking with them at that time. He could have even been talking about me [laughs], ’cause there was some cuts at Biggie on the Cuban Linx… album.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 08:08:19 AM »

I'm just repeating what RZA said in a XXL interview. Actually it was Lil Cease that said it.

23 “Long Kiss Goodnight”

Produced by RZA
Lil’ Cease That was a one-nighter. That was about ’Pac. He had some shit at the beginning of that though, nobody heard it, on the reel. We had to change it. It was a little too much. I can’t remember what Big said about him, but it was terrible. It couldn’t make it. He didn’t want to do it. He had some fire. But he didn’t want to make it too much. He just wanted to address it and to let nigga know, “I know what’s going on, and I could get wreck if I want to.” Like, “If I really wanted to get on ya niggas, I could.”

Puffy Naaah. It was just some MC lyrics. I know people wanna have their imagination, but it was just lyrics. You’re hearing it from the horse’s mouth. I would tell the truth. If Biggie was going to do a song about 2Pac, he would have just come out with it and said his name. Their gloves were basically off. 2Pac had did “Hit ’Em Up.”

RZA Biggie was always pretty cool with me. He liked the Wu-Tang sound. He requested me to be on the album. I didn’t know if everybody in his camp agreed with it, because at one point there was a little bit of tension in the air—with Raekwon’s [Only Built 4] Cuban Linx… album and some of the statements that was made. But we was always cool with each other.

Biggie wrote the verse after his accident. At first we had Cappadonna doing the hook, talking a lot of shit. In the beginning, you can hear Cappadonna. Then Puff did his thing at the end. I didn’t know it was going to be there but I know how they work. I wasn’t in the studio when they did that. I went in a couple of weeks after he did the verse. They wanted to mix it themselves, but they didn’t even know where to put things at. I had so many sounds in there. They didn’t know what the fuck I was thinking about.

We had about 10 basic musical elements on that track. At the end he’s talking about everybody was fucking with them at that time. He could have even been talking about me [laughs], ’cause there was some cuts at Biggie on the Cuban Linx… album.

These interviews are funny, because they show you that Puffy would flat out lie about the situation. Lil Cease is obviously telling the truth in contradicting Puff's statements.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

bouli77

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 09:51:13 AM »
Also, in Long Kiss, when Biggie says "be the cats with no dough tried to play me at my show"...sounds like he's talking about E-40 and the situation where he got set up in the bay?

doubt it cause Big shouts out 40 in the life after death booklet. that and the fact that 40 was probably making more money than Big with his record deal (one mil by album + royalties).