Author Topic: did any other rappers besides Benzino diss Eminem for going in on black women?  (Read 619 times)

Jimmy H.

I decided to revisit this since the only one I could remember speaking out publicly about this was Styles.  Here's a whole bunch of the quotes.  A few of these guys now "work" for Eminem.  It would be interesting to hear their thoughts today.

MACK 10: “White dudes can’t say [Nigga], especially if they’re saying it in a negative way. If he’s saying, ‘That’s my nigga,’ that’s different. But if you’re saying it in a negative way, I’ma think that shit is racist. Then rap and everything go out the window.”

CROOKED I: “I think the dude is an incredible lyricist, but if you’re a racist, you get no support. If we support a racist, we cutting our own throat. If he’s racist like that, he gotta fall to the side. I want to see him on TV publicly apologize to Black women.”

SKILLZ: “If you say the word Nigger’ out of anger and frustration and call a girl a Black bitch, I’m pretty sure you’ll say it again. I don’t think it’s not a word he hasn’t used since then. Bottom line is I don’t appreciate Eminem using the word Nigger. As soon as I read his statement, I knew something was fishy. He said he was dating a girl who was ‘African-American’! I’ve never heard him use the term ‘African-American’ in his whole life, which made the whole statement look suspect to me. It’s the classic example of someone getting caught and being outta character when they try to explain themselves. It all sounds the same. Sorta like his beats”

JOE BUDDEN: “I don’t know what the fuckk is wrong with him. I love Black women. You almost really do want to believe him, but that type of attitude really can’t be excused, I don’t care how old you were. I don’t really know if it will affect his career, but I think he should apologize. I just hope he doesn’t have those same views today.”

FREDDIE FOXXX: “The bottom line is this: The fact that Eminem is White doesn’t have any reflection on him being a dope MC. But he’s definitely equivalent to Elvis Presley in a sense that Elvis only thought that Black people were good enough to either be his servant, or anything in a type of servitude for him. His goal is to do better than the people he stole from. At the end of the day, what else do you expect from a White man? I’m sure he used the N-word a whole lot of times outside of this.”

STYLES P: “His fucking teeth should have been knocked out—that’s my reaction. But all the Black people who are sucking his cock should be ashamed of themselves. If it was a Black *****, they would have killed his ass. I can’t say something too wrong ’cause he on my label. If he apologizes, it’ll be aiight. If not, that’s fucked up.”

PAUL WALL : “If he made it as a racist song, then hell yeah he’s wrong for it. That’s very stereotypical for him to say that all Black girls want your money. That’s like saying all gay people got AIDS. If he don’t want to date Black girls, that’s cool with me. That’s just more for me. He wrong for it, but he wrong for most of the shit he do.”

BUN B (UGK): “When did he realize he was wrong for saying that? When he got caught? It’s no way that song should have been still out there like that. Nobody should have gotten a copy of that. If he didn’t want nobody to hear it, he should have never put it on record, he had 10 years to find that tape.”

KILLER MIKE : “This is a Black and Latino culture and art form. If you’re not sensitive to that, then your card is
 gonna be pulled. I haven’t heard the song, but I’m not in favor of White men bashing Black women. I don’t think people are gonna tolerate that.”

PETEY PABLO: “It’s a shocking situation ’cause he’s always been a great MC to me and for this to be the case, he’s like Elvis. I don’t think you can really apologize for that because if you call me a Nigger, then to me, that’s always on your mind and that’s what you think about us and that’s the way you look at me.”

Dr. Michael Eric Dyson (university of Pennsylvania): “Eminem certainly needs to apologize—not just offer the excuse of his youth to deny the racist beliefs that abound. Even if he was just ‘blowing off steam’ as an angry kid, why resort to racist lyrics to denigrate his former girlfriend? His explanation fails to acknowledge the hurtful beliefs that have prevailed for centuries, beliefs that he appropriated and circulated through his lyrics. Further, he has refused to admit that such poisonous beliefs are a threat to the very music he loves, and also to the people who have been responsible for creating the culture he has benefited from, making him wealthy by his own admission.”

MALIK SHABAZZ (NEW BLACK PANTHER PARTY): “There’s clearly two standards for Black and White celebrity figures when it comes to acts they have done or allegedly committed. … You have Michael Jackson allegedly molesting children and he’s being attacked with the full force of every media in the country. … You have Kobe Bryant in the same situation, but with Eminem—who is on tape making racist comments that reveal what he feels about Black people—everything is being suppressed…. He can’t be allowed to get away with a mere retraction when the evidence on him is already in.… His Black fans should remember this and it should reflect in his future record sales.”

IRV GOTTI: “I’m a person who loves Black women. I been around Black women all my life, so I’m a defender of them. What bothers me more than the actual tape is his comment that he was dating an African American woman at the time. His words are far worse than the tape. If he would have said, ‘I was freestyling, I needed something to rhyme with lack itch, I didn’t know what I was doing,’ that’s still not an excuse, but that would have been better. Knowing this is what you think of Black women—that they *****es, sluts, hos—I ain’t never gonna ride with that.”

ESHAM: “8 Mile was full of so much garbage that it was crazy. … He’s just a racist and the whole movie has racist overtones. It was fictitious and, once again, he was just using the culture and twisting it up in his own little sick way for the masses.”

LAZY LAZE (M.O.P): “White America has that same programmed disdain and lack of respect for Black people, and like a battered wife, we are just supposed to excuse it. We have to stand up for ourselves and hold people accountable for their actions, whether it’s Eminem, Bush or the Boston Red Sox—they wouldn’t sign a Black free agent till 1992!”

CRAZY LEGS (ROCK STEADY CREW): “I feel there is a huge double standard when it come to mainstream media holding people not of color accountable for their actions. If this had been someone of color, careers would have been lost by now. What Eminem has done is something that has to be taken seriously. At the same time, I feel that as a person of color, I would like to see our own people stop treating things like what he said as something that only we can do and not check each other when we do it.”

NIKKI GIOVANNI: “I’m not a fan of Eminem and it was a profound disappointment. He had to know that this was not acceptable and what he didn’t expect is that somebody would say something to him. Eminem and the White boys who want to do rap have to grow up. You are just not allowed to be a bigot. … It’s like [Eminem] floated a balloon politically, and he wanted to see who’s gonna shoot it down. Now they’re putting a spin on it like, ‘I’m sorry.’ Somehow, young, White people seem to think they can do anything and then say ‘I’m sorry.’ But that doesn’t get it. It just doesn’t get it.”

JIMMY HENCHMAN: “It would be a travesty if Eminem did not apologize to our community [of women]. As Americans, we’re entitled to The Source.… As Americans, we’re entitled to free speech by the first amendment.”

SUGE KNIGHT (CEO, DEATH ROW RECORDS) “First off, I am definitely supporting The Source on this, because they have been representing for Hip-Hop since day one. I not only fault Eminem but the people around him, who knew about this all along—including Dr. Dre. I don’t support anyone who [says they are] down with Hip-Hop and is trying to defend this racist muthafu**a. I’ve watched beefs go on in Hip-Hop where guys are ready to go to war with each other and hold grudges for years, but this is way worse and some people are ready to dismiss it. My mother is Black, my sister and my two daughters, so when he talks about Black women, there is no forgiving him.”

KrazySumwhat

at least he didnt put it out officially like how blacks dis white people on official songs. ice cubes "white cave bitch" was fine though huh?
 lol at the above qoutes talking about double standards? smh. But really this is all old news and people move on.
 Its like everything really. Was i offended at the movie "white chicks"? no. Would people get offended if two white dudes dressed up as black chicks and acted black? yes.

Jimmy H.

I was offended by "White Chicks". Not because it was racist but because it was a shitty movie.

dnjp4life

Not so much a diss, but Kurupt warned Eminem on 'One Thangs Fo Sho':

'Eminem, I love your raps, you're my nigga, but don't talk about blacks/
cos then I'ma have to respond, and knock all the tadpoles outta the pond'.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
well I was on the right path but your correct. the title of that record alone and the fact he was apart of it speaks volumes whether you wanna admit it or not.
I am going to go ahead and vehemently disagree with you. You're taking an approach usually reserved for conservative media types like Bill O'Reilly in which you use a song title or lyrics, completely removed from knowledge of context, and argue that an offensive word is grounds to make a very powerful generalization. You'd be have just as much of an argument if you claimed Iovine a racist because Interscope distributed an album called "Strictly 4 My Niggaz". All you're paying attention to is the offensive word. If someone were arguing that Tupac is a misogynist by simply throwing up the song "Wonda Why They Call U Bitch", wouldn't you consider it a more informed opinion if they actually understood the intention behind the song. I am not, by any stretch, dismissing Iovine from claims that he might be a racist, but using his work on that song alone as some kind of smoking gun is pretty flimsy, especially when you have no real knowledge of the song and were both incorrect about its title and the level of his creative involvement in it.

The Eminem record is a little more damning. While no racial slurs are uttered, its entire intention is to diss and generalize all women of a certain race. In that context, the song is racist, even if it didn't use offensive words. There's very little wiggle room to even argue this point. In terms of Interscope, they simply want to play damage control. I truthfully think whether this was made when he was signed to them or not, they would still find a way to keep it from effecting their bottom line but it's a moot point. The argument becomes is Interscope accountable for what one of their artists did, years before, he was even their artist? Everybody has their own opinion on this.

I know interscope didn't exist back then and when it was started. they were dormant until death row came into the picture.
That's a popular misconception.  Interscope as a company has been around since the very early 80's.  It didn't branch off into a music label until about 1990 or so though.  They actually signed Tupac when Dr. Dre was still in NWA and Suge was still a bodyguard so the label was making moves long before that but Death Row ended up being what positioned them as a major music label.
in response to your first response I wouldn't care if jimmy just appeared in the video my feelings are the same on the issue. when he signs black artists like talib kweli or common that's promotin' positivity instead of genocide maybe i'll look at him different. i'll never support Eminem music cause I do feel he got a little racist in him. he was bullied by a black kid and had racist diss records aimed at black chicks I'm sure he hates his former bully's guts. as far as interscope goes, they been around for a long time yes but death row made them a force in hip hop music even though they had pac there prior.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Blood$

guess he must have apologized to Styles P since Eminem collaborated with D-Block a few times after  :laugh:

Jimmy H.

guess he must have apologized to Styles P since Eminem collaborated with D-Block a few times after  :laugh:
Yeah, I figure something must have happened there. Em was on Jada's album with Styles on that "Welcome To D-Block" track, not too long, after that.

Blood$

Yeah, I figure something must have happened there. Em was on Jada's album with Styles on that "Welcome To D-Block" track, not too long, after that.

yup with all of The Lox featured and he had Jada on that Pac album not long after

KrazySumwhat

I thought white chix was funny as fuck.

It kinda intresting and funny how alot of them dudes worked with Em since but like i said, people move on and i mean the song was old as fuck and em did apologies if i recal?

Jimmy H.

Oddly enough, even Benzino doesn't really talk about the controversy anymore.  He's done a few recent interviews where he has actually apologized to Eminem for taking shots at his daughter and I don't think the racist tapes have come up at all.  The only person I know who still brings it up is Suge Knight. 

What's weird is looking through these quotes, I had forgotten how many people commented on it.  I had only remembered Styles P and the usual people who didn't like Em anyway like Suge, Irv Gotti, and Esham. Don't even remember Paul Wall taking shots or some of these other ones.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Love when CM tries to claim his race & gets heated because he's the actual racist.

Eminem >

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Love when CM tries to claim his race & gets heated because he's the actual racist.

Eminem >
I love when there are various topics to discuss but instead I'm what's on your mind miley day and night. #two occasions.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Blood$

Paul Wall's wife is black so I can see why he would have something to say

Jimmy H.

It was the extra part where he said "he wrong for most of what he do" that caught my attention, like he's not a fan beyond the racist tape controversy.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
It was the extra part where he said "he wrong for most of what he do" that caught my attention, like he's not a fan beyond the racist tape controversy.

Probably not big on the whole shittin on the person who brought you in this world thing either is my guess or his pathetic and odd behavior towards his bm. Dudes a straight fuckin weirdo. He was funny when i was 16-17 but now that im a grown man I find his music corny as all hell.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will