Author Topic: Imagine if Daz RRGB had sold platinum, here is how different things wouldve been  (Read 1059 times)

Jimmy H.

The Doggfather may have sold well because Snoop was the biggest living name in rap at the time, but that shit was still considered a flop and was a huge step backwards for Death Row, the West Coast, and gangsta rap.

The point is if Snoop having a double-platinum #1 album on Death Row was not enough to keep him onboard, this hypothetical scenario where Daz sells like half that would not have changed his mind. Death Row was going backwards because Suge was not around to steer the ship.

Gangsta rap was fading because it had been the trend for almost 10 years and styles were changing.  Even when Pac was alive, they were pushing the nice suits and R&B songs with Danny Boy and Jodeci. They weren't doing pistols and 40's at cook-outs in Compton anymore. The styles were getting more lavish. Snoop, for whatever people may say, had a direction to him at the time. He could do that smoother shit. But there was too much of a divide to really make it work.

I can't say with any certainty that if Suge was still on the streets in 1997 that he could have turned it around after losing Dre to Interscope and Pac getting killed but without him around, there was just no chance.

At the very least it would've meant that The Gang album would've came out and possibly Soopafly would've released That Woopty Woo on Death Row and gotten some more shine with the album.
There is no guarantee of any of that. If there was a buzz, it would have been pursued but once Snoop was out, that DPG/LBC clique was missing its spokesperson.

...I don't think you all understand the significance of this album, and what was riding on its success or failure.
  Very little was riding on it. The album came out in 1998.  At that point, they were just trying to keep the established roster happy. Daz, Mich'elle, Rage, had not been much of a priority in 1996 so my guess was their albums were put out to basically appease them. This wasn't "Chronic", "Doggystyle", or "All Eyez On Me" where the momentum was there. Musically, there wasn't a fresh direction they were following.

donfathaimmortal

Whatever it could happen back in 1997-98, without Dre or 2Pac or Interscope, Death Row Records has no longer potential to create and release a classic album.
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

Diggfinger

Snoop was already all but signed to No Limit at the end of 97. He was on Mystikal's 97 album "Unpredictable" and the first words he said on the track was "it's No Limit." Nate was gone, Kurupt was gone, and Dre damn sure would not have appeared on any Death Row albums. The only reason Snoop and Dre did collab again in 99 is cause Damizza made it happen, and it damn sure wouldn't have happened if Snoop stayed at Death Row.

It was inevitable, there was no way to keep that train going with Dre gone, Pac murdered, and Suge in jail. As someone else said, NL Top Dogg was a classic and I think it all worked out fine. Daz and Kurupt were still very relevant going into the early 2000's, and 1999 was as big a year for Westcoast rap as any year. Snoop, Dre, Kurupt and Quik all dropped gems that sold very well. In hindsight, Chronic 2001 never probably would have dropped, or if it did it wouldn't have been half as good if Snoop stayed on Death Row. That album without Snoop is a completely different album.

Point made thread closed

Mr. Theo

Daz ruined his own career.

No Snoop..No Suge..No Dre.. No Pac dead.

It's Daz..if this man were focused on making music, his "top 5" of all time would be safe.

But dude is a legend..the energy he brought to Freddie Gibbs "F.A.M.E" is insaneee.

He got chemistry w/ "new school" rappers ..like Gibbs,Currensy.. i hope more tracks between him and Gibbs.

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
As someone else said, NL Top Dogg was a classic and I think it all worked out fine.

I never said No Limit Top Dogg was a bad album.  What I said was that Snoop fucked around, wasted his time, tarnished his legacy and integrity with The Game Is To Be Sold album.   The Top Dogg album on the other hand, was basically the West Coast version of Snoop we all wanted to here, and I think all of us were satisfied with that album.  We also got to see him reunite with Dre.  I loved that album from the day it dropped.

All I was saying was that had Daz album succeeded, things might have been different for Snoop as well.  You guys are all saying he already left Death Row and was signed with No Limit when Daz album dropped, but then again you all are mostly illiterate pieces of shit.

I have the damn magazine to prove that shit and I have had it since the month the magazine came out.  The magazine has Snoop on the cover, and Daz Revenge Retaliation Get Back album is the second biggest story in the magazine as well.  Snoop was basically stranded at the time.  He still had contractual hangups with Death Row, he was not totally free from Death Row.  Had Daz album blown up, Snoop may have stuck around the West Coast and possibly even reconciled with Death Row.  He could've bypassed the disastrous The Game album and stuck with the West Coast bangers he had at the time like "Hooked" (produced by Soopafly who was Daz main man at the time and co-producer of RRGB) and the shit that eventually became the Top Dogg album.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:17:35 AM by Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Diggfinger

As someone else said, NL Top Dogg was a classic and I think it all worked out fine.

I never said No Limit Top Dogg was a bad album.  What I said was that Snoop fucked around, wasted his time, tarnished his legacy and integrity with The Game Is To Be Sold album.   The Top Dogg album on the other hand, was basically the West Coast version of Snoop we all wanted to here, and I think all of us were satisfied with that album.  We also got to see him reunite with Dre.  I loved that album from the day it dropped.

All I was saying was that had Daz album succeeded, things might have been different for Snoop as well.  You guys are all saying he already left Death Row and was signed with No Limit when Daz album dropped, but then again you all are mostly illiterate pieces of shit.

I have the damn magazine to prove that shit and I have had it since the month the magazine came out.  The magazine has Snoop on the cover, and Daz Revenge Retaliation Get Back album is the second biggest story in the magazine as well.  Snoop was basically stranded at the time.  He still had contractual hangups with Death Row, he was not totally free from Death Row.  Had Daz album blown up, Snoop may have stuck around the West Coast and possibly even reconciled with Death Row, He could've bypassed the disastrous The Game album and stuck with the West Coast bangers he had at the time like "Hooked" (produced by Soopafly who was Daz main man at the time and co-producer of RRGB) and the shit that eventually became the Top Dogg album.

:o :o :o :o
Speculations ahoy. You speak in counterfactuals, good sir
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:31:21 AM by Diggfinger »

Blood$

Daz couldn't go platinum if he had 2Pac and Snoop Dogg verses with a Nate Dogg hook on a Dre produced single

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Daz couldn't go platinum if he had 2Pac and Snoop Dogg verses with a Nate Dogg hook on a Dre produced single

Daz can't go platinum?

Blood$

Tha Dogg Pound went Platinum, not Daz Dillinger

aerroc

Daz RRGB deserved to go platinum, it was a high quality Death Row album like all the others that went platinum, and it had a sure-fire single with "In California".  So imagine if things had gone the way they should of how great it would of been for Death Row, West Coast, and hiphop in general...

-Daz would've been a star thus solidifying himself as the new face of Death Row and the West Coast.

-Snoop would've seen Daz success and never dared to sign with No Limit.  He would've stayed with his cousin and Death Row.   The Game Is to Be Sold album would've never dropped, and instead an album like Topp Dogg would've been released with Daz and Soopafly produced songs like "Hooked" only not with the name "Hooked" cause it never would've appeared on the No Limit soundtrack the song would've been called "Snoop DOGG"

-Dre would've been working with Snoop and thus appeared on a Death Row album once more.  This would've brought peace between him and Suge and thus Death Row would've been a part of the West resurgence with the Up In Smoke Tour and everything else.

-with all Daz juice comin off the platinum solo album he would've been able to release The Gang album with him, Tray Dee, Bad Azz and others.  That shit would've gone platinum and been like a Dogg Food part 2 and West Coast classic.  This would've catapulted Tray Dee to fame and he would've released his own platinum solo album under his deal with Sony.

-With all the juice Daz had, Soopafly was his main man, so Dat Woopty Woop would've gotten the spotlight it deserved and the album would've garnered another platinum plaque for Death Row.

-by 2002 suge would've gotten out of prison just in time for a new Dogg Pound release.  It would've been called Doog Food 2 and sold platinum

-Now with Suge running shit again and Snoop never signing with No Limit, the South never emerges to be a force in the industry.  Thus the West has a continued run at the top of the industry that started in 92 and lives on till today.

...All this if MTV would've just fuckin gave the "In California" video a few more spins so it could've caught on.  Radio would've followed and next thing you know you got a hit song and another hit to follow with "Might Sound Crazy".  Daz goes down in history as the second greatest producer of all-time and Top 5 Emcee.

im not going to Imagine daz going platinum cause its never going to happen that boat left years and years ago u people here need to stop imaging this is not 1996

MUHFUKKA

"in california" was a halfass attempt at a radio hit and thats why it didnt blow up

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

KrazySumwhat

I have the damn magazine to prove that shit and I have had it since the month the magazine came out.  The magazine has Snoop on the cover, and Daz Revenge Retaliation Get Back album is the second biggest story in the magazine as well.  Snoop was basically stranded at the time.  He still had contractual hangups with Death Row, he was not totally free from Death Row.  Had Daz album blown up, Snoop may have stuck around the West Coast and possibly even reconciled with Death Row.  He could've bypassed the disastrous The Game album and stuck with the West Coast bangers he had at the time like "Hooked" (produced by Soopafly who was Daz main man at the time and co-producer of RRGB) and the shit that eventually became the Top Dogg album.

So you have forgotten that whilst Snoop dogg was "stranded" he put out songs like "fuck deathrow"? While Daz was still over there?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:57:26 PM by KrazySumwhat »

• Muthafuckin' Don!

im not going to Imagine daz going platinum cause its never going to happen that boat left years and years ago u people here need to stop imaging this is not 1996

I think about 1996 nearly every damn day

Jimmy H.

I think about 1996 nearly every damn day
  :'(

• Muthafuckin' Don!

So you have forgotten that whilst Snoop dogg was "stranded" he put out songs like "fuck deathrow"? While Daz was still over there?

I haven't forgotten shit, in fact I have the magazine sitting right next to me right here, so I know exactly what Snoop's state of mind was at the time of the release of Daz Revenge Retaliation and Get Back.

His state of mind was that he was confused about his situation, and where he stood with Death Row.  He didn't like that they blocked him from doing songs with other artists, so he decided it was time to come out of hiding and strike out on his own.  "Fuck Death Row" was not really a big diss record.  Dude wasn't talkin much shit on that track for those that have heard it.  In fact, he was just pretty much in the dark about his situation.

Fact of the matter was, nothing was set in stone.  He still had contractual hangups with Death Row, he still had not yet signed with Master P, and his relationship with Suge was still up in the air.