Author Topic: albums that had to grow on you because they were over yur head..  (Read 535 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
albums that had to grow on you because they were over yur head..
« on: February 10, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
It Great music is supposed to challenge the listener, bring them up, basically the opposite of the Cash Money trash that's popular today or the No Limit trash that was popular yesterday, that type of garbage you get excited over first listen and then forget about the next day, that's why you never hear P's name mentioned today unless niccaz is talkin bout how much money he made...

So here's a list of great albums that were over my head at first and later grew to be favorites...

Doggystyle - first cd I ever got.  Too hardcore for me at first.  Only rap tape Id ever listened to before that was stuff like Wrex in Effect, so the non-radio edits were a little too much for me.   Then one morning I woke up early and I was bumpin "Tha Shiznit" and "Lodi Dodi" and it really blew me away.  Another day I stumbled upon "Ain't No Fun" and it kind of tripped me out how Nate was singing.  I thought singing had to be soft but he was singing about gangsta shit.. I remember I went to school and was singin it all day.  This was around like febuary of ninety four I was in sixth grade.   Then the "Gin and Juice" video dropped and I didn't even know the joint was on the album I had always skipped that track because I thought it was a sccit... the video blew the fuck up... last the dogg pound got shine on doggy dogg world and the rest is history

Warren G - G Funk Era - was expecting somethin hard like Doggystyle so I didn't understand it at first.  The sound was too smooth at first for me.  Only track I liked was "Recognize" and then once the "This DJ" video dropped it all kind of made sense to me after that and I bumped the album all summer.

All Eyez On Me -  I kind of thought Pac was a racist.  Actually, 2pac barely cracked my top 5 at the time.  Snoop was my favorite and then Daz, Kurupt, Warren G and the Pac.  So he was still one of my favorites but I never really bumped tracks like "Only God Can Judge Me", I was more bumpin the joints like "Its All About You" and "How Do You Want It" basically I loved all his player songs or songs like "Life Goes On" but the harder joints were a little over my head and took a year or two before I ended up loving the whole album begining to end.

7 Day Theory - Again I still kind of took Pac as a racist in 96' even though I loved him and bought the album the week it came out.  I wouldn't listen to tracks like "White Manz World" which ended up becoming my favorite track a couple years later.  At first I was expecting something like All Eyez On Me and the album was too dark for me.  It wasn't till about 6 months after its release that I was listening to "Hold Yur Head" at a friends house and it finally hit me how great the album was begining to end.

Xzibit - 40 Dayz 40 Nightz- again his sound was a little too aggressive for me.  It wasn't till I really started to get older and understand his lyrics because its really on some grown man shit.  Also it helped when Dre started to back him because then I knew he was the truth or else Dre wouldn't be down with him.  Started givin him more serious listens and that's when tracks like "Focus" really started to send my mentals to new levels.

Talib Kweli- Reflection Eternal - this album actually took a lot of outside reading and interests for me to begin to like it.  There was an older head at my job, a Rastafarian cat who put me on a path of outside interests that ran congruent to this album

Nas - Illmatic - Eminem caused me to start getting more into the lyrical side of hiphop.  I bought Illmatic several months after the Slim Shady LP was released.  Only track I liked at first was "Halftime".  It just sounded a little too mellow and too East Coast for me.  My brother was in an acting college in New York and I went to visit him in spring of 2000 and on the plane I bumped "New York State of Mind" and ever since Illmatic has been one of my all time favorite albums.

...and more, post later
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 10:05:17 AM by Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MUHFUKKA

Re: albums that had to grow on you because they were over yur head..
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:30:15 PM »
so basically most of the 15 albums you listen to?

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Blood$

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »

WORD

hitsaw

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:32:51 AM »
7 classic albums!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:34:45 AM »
Illmatic. I have it 3-4 attempts before I actually enjoyed it. I grew up only listening to West Coast (and some Bad Boy lol) shit so that album was just too different for my liking. Plus I was too young to really get it.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:52:41 AM »
smh

Blood$

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
it's sad that dude has time to type paragraphs about the same shit everyday yet he can't take some time off to raise a child smh it has to be a mental disorder there's simply no other explanation it can't even be trolling at this point

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 03:42:33 PM »
Going off his demeanor and body of writing for the last 7 or 8 years on this forum that I've witnessed, I really think this fits Brian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

I'd like to get an opinion from a guy like Elior to see if his real life persona corroborates this, or if it's more of a bipolar type situation.

Just read the description though and tell me that ain't Lyin' Brian.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 04:13:24 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

damn, ethered on the first reply.

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
Going off his demeanor and body of writing for the last 7 or 8 years on this forum that I've witnessed, I really think this fits Brian:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

I'd like to get an opinion from a guy like Elior to see if his real life persona corroborates this, or if it's more of a bipolar type situation.

Just read the description though and tell me that ain't Lyin' Brian.
hes got the ass burger for sure

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

Blood$

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 10:16:31 PM »
lmfao at "ass burger"

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 12:00:10 AM »
he very well might have aspergers but i think hes just manic depressive skitzo

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
a shit load but i cant think of any right now... the most recent is Ryan Leslie's "Black Mozart"
we all like hip hop and have a passion for great hip hop... we just have a certain kind of rap we like that is gangsta rap or west coast rap (reason why we all post here). i skimmed through his album and i was like man there are only like 3 or 4 songs i like on this album... then when i listened to it one day while i was having a long drive i was like damn this is a great solid album, very different then what im use to... and i think it was the best album of 2013, because of the fact it was different then what i was use to and kinda took me by surprise and because i have an open mind when it comes to hip hop i was able to enjoy this album and find an artist that i like that doesnt have to fit what im use to...

with that being said i was able to find a new artist that i can enjoy even if its not a gangsta rapper or it was out of my fortay... because im a REAL hip hop fan that can give any artist a chance

you wouldnt understand though Infinite, your too close minded, your not open to new things and your knowledge of hip hop doesnt go outside of the 15 albums or 10 artist's you listen too
so with that being said your not a real hip hop fan, never have been never will be... you can listen to the album but too bad its not gonna be "1996" enough for you  :-\
The West is Back

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 02:45:31 PM »
TECH N9NE - KOD