Author Topic: Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Discussion Thread)  (Read 10417 times)

Blood$

Re: Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »
that website has no business even reviewing the album just based off the rest of their content plus you can tell by reading it the guy definitely didn't hear the whole album (just like you) by only referencing a handful of tracks and saying the features had the best verses lol
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 12:38:14 PM by Blood$ »

aerroc

« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2014, 12:42:35 PM »
^ shit, negro that's all you had to say!   ;D
this new generation sucks and have no standards at all. dudes can come out and kiss each other on the lips, wear dresses, be a c.o., have no skills on the mic, etc. and it's accepted. smdh.

I agree, thankfully that isn't TDE's game plan  8)

+1 8) they got bigger plans like taking over

aerroc

« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2014, 12:46:59 PM »
I've decided to fade out anyone whose hating on the sound of the album because clearly it isn't for you. This is the same type of music Schoolboy has always produced.

Prescription Drugs is my shit. About to pop a Percocet to that shit. 8)

people here r just out of touch ur right schoolboy music has always been like this on tde he is the weakest link on tde he even says that hes not the most lyrical 1 hes more like a gangsta/party rapper

people need to check out these tde schoolboy projects to understand

Gangsta & Soul
ScHoolboy Turned Hustla
Setbacks
Habits & Contradictions

aerroc

« Reply #183 on: February 25, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »
#1 on iTunes with an average rating of 4.5/5 as well  8)

guess all iTunes users are biased than a motherfucker too right? lol
if dude was signed to duck down or e one records do you honestly think he would've gotten these kinda ratings ?

YES tde is still a indy record label u think all of this happened over night tde represent the much needed change in hip hop black hippy has been grinding since 2005 now its time for the payoff
wait till kendrick ab-soul jay rock and sza drop next

get back to my uncles musc and stfu already

this is real music fuck all that cars hoes and bling bling bullshit

before u talk anymore shit on tde know your info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Dawg_Entertainment
and not only that, dude been rappin' since 2010 ? oh hell naw !!! dude stay too drugged up he's too slurrish for me to each is own though.

Schoolboy Q has said he wrote his first verse when he was 16, but wasn't serious about music until he was 21. Music became his way of expressing himself: "I wrote my first verse when I was 16. I wasn’t really rapping, but you know everybody wrote a verse before. I wrote the verse but I wasn't really fucking with it. By 21, I started to really get into it and gained a passion for it. You got to let your aggression out, so you got to get in the booth and let it out. I was really working on my craft, studying music, and I became Q. I did all of it, school and the streets. I was just lost; I didn't know what I wanted to do. I was just trying to do something. Then I found music and it was just over after that. I made my first little bit of money doing music, after that I wanted to get used to doing it, and I kept rapping. Then it became something that I had to do."[8]

In 2006, he began to work with Top Dawg Entertainment, a Carson-based independent record label, recording at their studio House of Pain and collaborating with their artists. His first time at the studio he worked with his soon to be Black Hippy cohorts Jay Rock and Ab-Soul: "I walked in and the beat was playing. Ali told them that I rap. Punch told me to jump on the beat. It was a record that Jay Rock and Ab-Soul were writing to, so then I wrote it. Punch liked it and he told me to come back through. I kept coming back, kept getting better, and eventually they signed me to [Top Dawg Entertainment]." On July 29, 2008, Hanley released his first mixtape titled Schoolboy Turned Hustla, with G.E.D. Inc., the same imprint that helped launch the career of fellow West Coast rapper Tyga, with whom Schoolboy Q worked with early in their respective careers. After the release of Schoolboy Turned Hustla, he signed a deal with Top Dawg Entertainment in 2009, where he later formed Black Hippy, with fellow label-mates and frequent collaborators, Kendrick Lamar, Jay Rock and Ab-Soul.[9][10]

In 2009, Hanley was involved in a short-lived "beef" with fellow West Coast rapper 40 Glocc. ScHoolboy Q released a diss track titled "Ezell (40 Glocc Killa)", where he questions 40 Glocc's gang-banging. Hanley later stated in a video interview as to why they were "beefing": "He made some false statements about my boy, Tyga, that's my little brother. He did a lot of fake stuff with Wayne, a lot of lies, rumors and childish shit that I really didn't like, and I really felt disrespected by this clown saying all this shit so I just had to like air it out". He went on to say "It's over with, I did what I did, I said what I said and I won't diss him no more, because it's obvious he ain't on my level...so why categorize myself with a loser?".[11] Hanley released Gangsta & Soul, his second mixtape on May 14, 2009, which included the aforementioned diss track. The mixtape was his first official project with Top Dawg, which presented the mixtape alongside G.E.D. Inc.

Will_B

« Reply #184 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »
that website has no business even reviewing the album just based off the rest of their content plus you can tell by reading it the guy definitely didn't hear the whole album (just like you) by only referencing a handful of tracks and saying the features had the best verses lol

LMAO @ no business reviewing your boyfriends album

Dude. I wish I could get that time back playing out the entire album, don't even joke

Blood$

« Reply #185 on: February 25, 2014, 01:07:39 PM »
dude, you got the weakest and most sap ass song off Devin's new album in your sig and you're promoting a DAZ project talking about you wish you could get back time for listening to music?  :-[  :laugh:  :P

I'll fall back though cuz we all know you actually are in fact enjoying Oxymoron and just in here for the trolling attention so this is all you're gonna get at least from me since I'm not into derailing healthy threads where a solid discussion about music is taking place  8)

Will_B

« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2014, 01:31:50 PM »
dude, you got the weakest and most sap ass song off Devin's new album in your sig and you're promoting a DAZ project talking about you wish you could get back time for listening to music?  :-[  :laugh:  :P

I'll fall back though cuz we all know you actually are in fact enjoying Oxymoron and just in here for the trolling attention so this is all you're gonna get at least from me since I'm not into derailing healthy threads where a solid discussion about music is taking place  8)

Depends what you class as healthy talk. People like yourself aren't even articulating why you think the albums good. Only saying that others who don't like the album are somehow conspiring against Schoolboy Q and perhaps secretly love the album. Or saying other websites have 'no right' to review the project.

I think you need to think just as hard about who you're 'riding' for, who's in your avatar etc.

Those Daz and Devin tracks are decent stuff btw. Daz and Los put out a decent EP with no hype and no biased 'big name' sites pushing them to the masses (to benefit from the post-GKMC/Control Remix rap media hype that Q is getting)

Peace

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #187 on: February 25, 2014, 02:16:04 PM »

Will_B

« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »
So what are your thoughts on the album, P

Blood$

« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2014, 02:21:08 PM »

LOL… the one guy who rates albums without bumping them, criticizes movies without viewing them, and talks about threads without reading through them  8)

Will_B

« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
LOL… the one guy who rates albums without bumping them, criticizes movies without viewing them, and talks about threads without reading through them  8)

LMAO again discrediting the listener with the opposing view, is the only way you can attempt to articulate why this album doesn't suck :D

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #191 on: February 25, 2014, 02:36:56 PM »
whether positive or negative opinion on this album, its got 8 pages of comments which is rare for any topic on this forum when dealing with newer westcoast artists. I think its a solid album. I don't listen to schoolboy q expecting really deep lyrics and even then, he still has a few of those tracks on this album. Which makes me wonder, most the albums from the west people consider classics don't have much more substance in lyrics then this one so what really were the people that don't like it expecting from a guy that does mostly gangster/party music?

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2014, 02:39:06 PM »
honestly i thought school boy q sucked before i heard this album. i think as a single collard greens sucked so coming in with no expectations this album actually was very enjoyable.

i heard habits and contradictions (thx radiotube) and only liked a song or two and on his interviews he sounds like a heroin addict so i didnt expect shit but this album is actually very dope. it almost seems like from everything from the cover to the way he adds his daughter on the ominous drug songs and shit it almost feels like its a big reminder to himself of who he used to be and on other songs who he wants to become. like maybe those songs with his daughter on them will be the thing that keeps him from falling totally off the wagon. theres alot of talk about his drug use right now because he showed up to hot 97 sloppy off lean i believe thats all contradictory and calculated to make ppl more curious about his album and personal life. you know wiggers love a rapper with a story to tell. when it comes to drugs and the pills he claim to sold so many of he dont know wtf hes talking about sometimes he was like"....NOOOO i never fucked with norcos! i took percosets and xanax but i never did the norcos." percs are WAY more fucking addictive them norcos and stronger at that. and if he knew as much about drugs and lean and shit as he claims he would know 3 or 4 vicodin/percs and a few benedryl and its the same exact feeling as lean for a fraction of the cost. its sad the lean phenomenon has infiltrated the west coast...i really thought it was for the southern bammers and gucci mane wanna bes that wear clear jordans and coogi jeans....ANYWAYS.

good album what he makes up for in wordplay he compensates for concepts and passionate delivery but if your looking for something like GKMC you will be dissapointed no doubt in my mind about that. if your looking for some hype ass ignorant shit to party to that has some substance to it this is going to blow your speakers all summer.

Blood$

« Reply #193 on: February 25, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
LOL… the one guy who rates albums without bumping them, criticizes movies without viewing them, and talks about threads without reading through them  8)

LMAO again discrediting the listener with the opposing view, is the only way you can attempt to articulate why this album doesn't suck :D

read that bolded part in my original quote dummy lol, I gave my thoughts on the album pages back and the reviews I also posted coincide with the majority of my thoughts on it

you don't see me knocking CM or Ghost because they said they are not with all the drugged out stoner rap, you on the other hand provided no articulate reasons as to why so many songs sucked in your eyes and were 4/10s, etc.

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #194 on: February 25, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
After hearing the standard, deluxe itunes and deluxe target edition. I would take all the crappy songs he had on the standard edition and replaced them with the bonus songs to have a better album. Add Yay Yay, Fuck LA, Gravy, Pusha Man, Californication on the standard album and I would think it would of flowed better I think.

I am sure many make there own album how they see fit anyway.  ;)

I do agree some beat selection is meh.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:09:22 PM by 1810 »