Author Topic: Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Discussion Thread)  (Read 10434 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
Did Will really get exposed for not listening to the entire album? LMAO.

Did you also counter BloodMoney's Complex Magazine Review with a "Sputnik Music Blog" review? LMFAO.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:43 PM »
Review Summary: Don't believe the hype train

I should stop reading the blogs, really. I should stop getting swept up in the hype of any artist affiliated with a big name and hoping, despite my better judgment and already formed opinion, they will do anything more than what I expect. I kind of blame Earl Sweatshirt for everyone’s inflated expectations of the second-in-line of the numerous hip-hop ‘groups’ of individual artists who ostensibly represent a collective. It happened with A$AP Ferg and it’s happening now with ScHoolboy Q, even though 2012’s Habits and Contradictions was unspectacular.

It’s my own fault for thinking he could change my mind. I tried to fall in love with his persona even though I didn’t think it was anything bigger than ‘the dude who wears bucket hats.’ I heard “Collard Greens,” with Kendrick Lamar’s terrible verse he probably found in a 15-year-old’s Spanish notebook with a bunch of penises and ‘jajaja’ etchings around it, and couldn’t figure out what I wasn’t hearing. I listened to Habits again but felt worn out when second track “There He Go” was by far the best he’s ever made. Maybe my problem is I tried, actively tried, to like him.

The problem is: there’s really no concept of who Schoolboy Q is. Even on the album cover he is obscured by a white ski mask which manages to hide everything- including his race. He has a gangster edge- a pill pusher from Hoover Street, which is closest thing to a personality he offers- but at the same time he’s a dad. Sometimes he’s ‘Puffy,’ the weed head who gets high in the studio, and others he’s some sort of sex god who, like so many others, indulges himself from the rear of women. Out of the booth he’s a normal looking guy with a bucket hat and a goatee. His daughter is manipulated into contextualizing her father with interjections like “my daddy says you’re a nigga” and “*** rap, my daddy a gangsta,” indicative of his two irreconcilable sides and his tendency to tread into unappealing themes.

Apparently this is all intentional: a representation of Q’s Oxymoronic status as a father to a young girl who also parties heartily and hears the calls of the streets in the back of his mind. However, this is presented incredibly vaguely, alluded to but never said flat out. Only on the disjointed centerpiece “Prescription/Oxymoron” do we get a glimpse of the overarching narrative. Before the track breaks, Quincy Hanley has passed out on the couch- he has overindulged on medication. His daughter’s voice rings through the empty space trying to wake him, the beat switches and he is reborn: “I just stopped selling crack today!” The exclamation feels hollow, though, because on “Man of the Year” he has girls dancing for him during a drug binge. Any potential lessons learned are left behind in a matter of a few songs.

The way these themes are rolled together for effect is awkward. The thrust of the album is this gangster life he wants to leave behind but is obviously hung up on and he brings in themes of fatherhood to create artificial conflict. His inner contradiction is obscured by party anthems and traditionally ‘gangster’ guest stars (Kurupt, Jay Rock, Raekwon). In fact, without his daughter’s orations, there is no semblance of narrative or meaning behind Oxymoron. This could be because Q’s storytelling ability is lacking, look no further than the bungled story of his uncle “Hoover Street” for how not to weave a narrative, but also because his inner turmoil sounds forced when spoken on record. It’s not entirely correct to compare Oxymoron to Good Kid m.a.a.d. City but give Kendrick Lamar credit for thoroughly exploring street life from someone who has left it all behind. Schoolboy, no matter what he tries making himself believe, clearly hasn’t left the streets behind and convincing the listener otherwise is impossible.

Reading these reiterations about theme and whatnot is dull and repetitious, but so is Oxymoron. Worse, though, it isn’t limited to theme. Hooks are run into the ground, songs are extended for just one chorus too long and beats are looped until they start grinding. The word “gangsta” is said 32 times on the opener alone. The replay value is just about non-existent. Each song is fairly flawed in some way or another, that some are good enough to overcome their faults speaks to the quality of the guests. Tyler, the Creator’s voice fits perfectly on “The Purge,” 2 Chainz livens up “What They Want” and Raekwon’s “Blind Threatz” verse is the best on the album.

So this is Schoolboy Q’s coming out party: an incomplete album with a brainy yet underdeveloped concept and a corrupted concept of the man behind the ski mask. The singles are shiny and probably hooked a lot of new fans, but the real substance is a contradictory mess. The image of a walking contradiction, a drug addict father, is hard to sell and Q is too underdeveloped, he started rapping seriously in 2010, to articulate his true feelings. What comes of this experiment/appeal to the masses is an overlong slog with enough shine to pull you in but a tangled mess beneath the bright veneer.

2/5

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/61148/ScHoolboy-Q-Oxymoron/

Duke didn't like Habits n Contradictions or Fergs album, both which were top 5 the year they were released, it's obvious this sort of music isn't for him. His review can go in the bushes.

Blood$

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2014, 04:42:19 PM »
Did you also counter BloodMoney's Complex Magazine Review with a "Sputnik Music Blog" review? LMFAO.

a sad, feeble attempt at trolling lol

that HHDX review that CM posted where they rated the album 3.5/5 was most definitely respectable and is at a least credible hip-hop site that holds weight unlike that Sputnik bullshit which is just a bunch of euros reviewing a bunch of unheard of crap nobody cares about

thegooddoc

« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2014, 09:16:59 PM »
Definitely some decent songs on the album, but as a whole it falls flat.  Pretty disappointing, but honestly don't know if that was because Kendick's album was a classic and I was just expecting the same level.  Nothing against TDE, but so far after Kendrick there is a pretty big drop off.  Not everyone can carry a solo album, and I wonder if TDE wouldn't be better off just releasing a Black Hippy album or compilation album instead of solo albums for non Kendrick artists.   

Will_B

« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »
Did Will really get exposed for not listening to the entire album? LMAO.

No.

But carry on with the trolling...and enjoy this album...I can see you being a big fan Cham

Seagully

« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2014, 05:42:31 AM »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »
That bonus cut with ASAP thoooo. 8)

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #202 on: February 26, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »
I been a fan of Q since i heard "Hands On Tha Wheel", that was before he was signed to Interscope. I think there's a lot of people here who have been his fans way before Kendrick got signed to Aftermath and Black Hippy signed with Interscope. Are they actually all signed as solo artists on Interscope now? Or is it just Kendrick and Q?
Jay Rock is still Strange and Ab-Soul's album will probably be only TDE/Interscope

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

Will_B

« Reply #203 on: February 26, 2014, 02:24:51 PM »
The final word "Weird off kilter gangsta rap...I don't know who else is doing this right now"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cF7fGdjSALA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cF7fGdjSALA</a>

+

+

=

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »
It's alright.

Studio/The Purge/Blind Threats/Hell of a Night and Gravy are the tracks I'm liking, and Suga Free barely saves Grooveline, there's no wrong he can do in my opinion.

Overall this album really had me hyped, somebody said it was west coast as fuck, and I give Q credit for actually rapping about his hood ALOT, which most popular rappers dont do anymore, (they want to appeal to a wide audience instead of keep it hood) but the overall sound of the album just doesn't stand out in any way. Like so much other rap, it combines some trap hi hat rolls, some go-nowhere synth pads, and a moderate amount of slump. Pretty standard.

I don't know, maybe I'm just not as big a fan as I wanted to be. 

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #205 on: February 26, 2014, 04:09:37 PM »
So which is Q's best album? You guys really think this is better than his first two? I think SETBACKS is easily his best album.

This album resembles Habits & Contradictions a bit more than Setbacks imo.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:11:32 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Blood$

« Reply #206 on: February 26, 2014, 04:15:42 PM »
So which is Q's best album? You guys really think this is better than his first two?

Setbacks > Oxymoron > Habits & Contradictions

I'd rate all of them 4/5

Blood$

« Reply #207 on: February 26, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #208 on: February 26, 2014, 04:18:38 PM »
So which is Q's best album? You guys really think this is better than his first two?

Setbacks > Oxymoron > Habits & Contradictions

I'd rate all of them 4/5

Fo Sho. Setbacks takes it for me.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 04:20:38 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

quiksta80

• 'G'
« Reply #209 on: February 26, 2014, 04:24:48 PM »
I'd say
Habits, Oxy then Setbacks. Setbacks had a good amount of songs I liked but his rhymes didn't seem as good on a lot of them like he was still developing his flow on that one.