Author Topic: Doggystyle facts thread  (Read 1563 times)

Will_B

Re: Doggystyle facts thread
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 03:06:29 AM »
the radio DJ says he bought a bootleg with Gin and Juice, Every single day and Niggaz don't give a fuck on it.  probably the OG niggaz don't give a fuck too.

I emailed colb bout this back when he put the audio up. He says he got another og tape with Kurupt (guessin it had 40z and bud etc on it) in the stash but couldn't put his hands on it. Said he used to spin the bootleg tracks on his show back in the day

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 07:41:03 AM »
It's funny how Snoop and Kurupt give props to 2pac for supposedly showing them "How to work.  How to go in and get like 4 tracks done in one day".

...Shit, I could record 100 tracks in a day, it doesn't mean any of them would be dope.  All of the greatest Snoop/Dogg Pound material is from before Pac, in the days when they were supposedly "lazy" and didn't know how to "work". 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 09:55:40 AM »
But it was probably more about them just dicking around in the studio and taking all sorts of time to record a song and thinking that's how everyone else worked too.  It's inspiring and motivating when you meet someone else who does the same thing that you do but at a far faster and more efficient pace.  The bar gets raised, and it makes other people want to reach it too.

But at the same time, the period you referred to as being their best material was also when they were hungry rappers trying to make it and prove themselves.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »
But it was probably more about them just dicking around in the studio and taking all sorts of time to record a song and thinking that's how everyone else worked too.  It's inspiring and motivating when you meet someone else who does the same thing that you do but at a far faster and more efficient pace.  The bar gets raised, and it makes other people want to reach it too.

But at the same time, the period you referred to as being their best material was also when they were hungry rappers trying to make it and prove themselves.

You make a fair point but look at Dr. Dre.  Even in spite of all the money he has made he has still maintained a standard of quality over quantity.  He's been making money since the NWA days and he has still managed to put out quality and never put out throwaway verses.  Half the verses on the album Kuruption were throwaway verses, shit like... "I'm tyrranical tyranosaurus dracula crack ya back"

Jimmy H.

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 10:40:10 AM »
I've always felt the Pac influence was on work ethic and not just how to make a lot of tracks quickly. I believe one of them, pretty sure, it was Kurupt, said he would come with whatever verses, even if they didn't fit the sound, and Pac was telling him to be more versatile.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »
I've always felt the Pac influence was on work ethic and not just how to make a lot of tracks quickly. I believe one of them, pretty sure, it was Kurupt, said he would come with whatever verses, even if they didn't fit the sound, and Pac was telling him to be more versatile.

Okay that's great.. but then why does everything Kurupt spit on Dogg Food sound fire, and everything Kurupt spit on Kuruption sound lazy, rushed, and unfocused?

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 11:12:45 AM »

You make a fair point but look at Dr. Dre.  Even in spite of all the money he has made he has still maintained a standard of quality over quantity.  He's been making money since the NWA days and he has still managed to put out quality and never put out throwaway verses.
But Dre doesn't have "throwaway verses" because he doesn't write anything.  He's always had others (Snoop, RBX, J-Flexx, Jay-Z, Hittman, Eminem, Crooked I, T.I., etc.) do it for him, so lyrics-wise it'll generally be decent and not tired, half-assed shit.  Plus Dre only puts out actual songs (meaning he is rapping on it) once every blue moon, so it's not hard to go for quality when you're putting shit out once every decade.

As far as Kurupt goes, he's a monster freestyler and probably did that more often in the booth than you'd think (sometimes because what he spit off the top was just that good), but the drawback with freestyling is that no matter how good you are, wack shit will come out at some point.  And for guys who enjoy freestyling, that's going to happen.  If you ever followed battle rap, you probably know who Jin is (the Chinese guy who came up on BET's 106 and Park then got signed to Ruff Ryders and still battled on Fight Klub, Jumpoff and Smack).  He killed the freestyle shit (and was even beating guys who came with writtens, which at that time was frowned upon anyway), but the battles that he lost, he lost BADLY and his freestyle game was off those days.  It's just the risk that they take.

Okay that's great.. but then why does everything Kurupt spit on Dogg Food sound fire, and everything Kurupt spit on Kuruption sound lazy, rushed, and unfocused?
Look at the situation.  Kurupt had left Death Row to form his own label (and was likely fulfilling duties as a rapper AND a record exec, likely learning a lot of things on-the-fly), had just seen Pac and Biggie die and was pretty much on his own and not under someone's tutelage like Suge, Dre or Snoop.  He wasn't able to focus 100% on making lyrics like before and may not have been partying 24/7 like they did on Death Row.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »
^ cute theory but no. Judging on how unsuccessful he's been as a CEO / president and how much he's fallen off lyrically - it's clear drugs played a huge role on the demise of Kurupt the Kingpin.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Will_B

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »
^ cute theory but no. Judging on how unsuccessful he's been as a CEO / president and how much he's fallen off lyrically - it's clear drugs played a huge role on the demise of Kurupt the Kingpin.

dude u can't assume why a rapper can't be a good CEO tho. not everyone can be a businessman in the game...some artists should just stick to what they do best

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »
...which means that the decline in his quality wasn't attributed to the whole work ethic aspect of pumping out songs back-to-back

Will_B

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2014, 02:28:53 PM »
...which means that the decline in his quality wasn't attributed to the whole work ethic aspect of pumping out songs back-to-back

I think it's just motivation. Kinda like hunger at the start pushes rappers. I didn't change is still probably Kurupts best track since he left death row. The story bout Kurupt sittin in his car with the pad and then just bustin it on the mic is crazy. He was on one.

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 01:24:12 AM »
All of the greatest Snoop/Dogg Pound material is from before Pac, in the days when they were supposedly "lazy" and didn't know how to "work". 

Dre also made Snoop retake songs again and again and again till he was happy with the product or it matched the vision in his mind. Artists of a certain calibre, that have something valid to say in the first place and not just bumping their gums, can one take or drop multiple tracks on the same day.

The rest of the regular folk need to get back in the lab and take their time to craft something.

Will_B

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 02:35:40 AM »
All of the greatest Snoop/Dogg Pound material is from before Pac, in the days when they were supposedly "lazy" and didn't know how to "work".  

Dre also made Snoop retake songs again and again and again till he was happy with the product or it matched the vision in his mind. Artists of a certain calibre, that have something valid to say in the first place and not just bumping their gums, can one take or drop multiple tracks on the same day.

The rest of the regular folk need to get back in the lab and take their time to craft something.

Some producers will fit the sound to an established artist. Others will mould an artist to fit their vision of the record like you say. That neednt mean the artist is doing something wrong. I'm talking about producers in the old sense, not beatmakers

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 02:53:58 AM »

Some producers will fit the sound to an established artist. Others will mould an artist to fit their vision of the record like you say. That neednt mean the artist is doing something wrong. I'm talking about producers in the old sense, not beatmakers

Snoop (like Dre before him) is the type of artist that needs a "boss" in order to keep him focussed and on track. Pac on the other had was more self motivated.

Different strokes for different folks... As long as the end product knocks who cares.

Will_B

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 03:01:03 AM »

Snoop (like Dre before him) is the type of artist that needs a "boss" in order to keep him focussed and on track. Pac on the other had was more self motivated.

Different strokes for different folks... As long as the end product knocks who cares.

Cool ok. Motivation is another thing.

Nas said if he's working on a track too long and somethings just not making it work, he discards it and moves on. Creative mindstate is another factor, even at his level