Author Topic: Angels locking up Trout to new deal?  (Read 569 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Angels locking up Trout to new deal?
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
wtf?  they owe him like 2 bucks the next season, why the hell give him money now??

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/10692095/los-angeles-angels-mike-trout-agree-six-year-extension

6 years 145 mill.  if he is still a great player this is a great deal.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
Re: Angels locking up Trout to new deal?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 10:45:59 PM »
You just answered your own question in the final sentence. If he keeps it up, it's a great deal for Angels. And as long as he doesn't get injured, then he keeps it up. It's Mike Trout we're talking about. Angels got away with highway robbery here.

I think the only reason Trout even settled for this "low" of an extension is just in case he gets injured. He wanted a guaranteed deal as quickly as possible, and cares more about that than the potential 18 year 400 million deal he could have gotten when his arbitration is over.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »
Homeboy might of seen 400 million lol.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:08:14 PM »

300 for sure

i predict he's a Yankee in 6 years

Remedy360

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 05:41:50 PM »
Yeah, great deal for the Angels. Hate to see this as an AL West guy.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 07:33:01 PM »

300 for sure

i predict he's a Yankee in 6 years

I mean, he probably would have in three if he didn't sign this. But then again, he would of had to play baseball as the best player in the league making under a million a year lol.

Wouldn't be shocked if the Angels trade him though. I don't really know his locker room personality, but with Trumbo gone, and his only protection in that lineup, Pujols and Hamilton getting older, I can't see the Angels being good four years from now at this pace. By 2017-18 he'll get frustrated and want out. Unless they pull some sweet offseason moves for him.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 09:55:47 PM »
Unfortunately I don't think any team has a future looking more bleak than Yankees', so if Trout wants to leave because he doesn't see Angels going anywhere, I doubt it'll be for NYY (barring some miraculous turnaround) aka the only AL team who gives out shittier contracts than the Angels do lol.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:21 PM »
Met fans in NY always give me shit for our future. Mostly because they have like four legit aces about to debut in the coming years.

Our "future" has looked bleak for over a decade, but were always right there. Our future doesn't refer to the minor leagues, it's whose going to be a free agent. Of course we need a stud or two to make it big out of our system. But if you took out all the major signings we made after those amazing 90's teams, we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs for the last ten years lol.

MistaNova

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:21:14 PM »
Dammit Cham, stop making the rest of us Yankee fans look like morons with your nonsense.

The way the Yankees have been constructing their team by buying grade-A talent off of the free agent market is no longer an option. Why? Because everybody else is smart. Every low market team in the majors right now is focusing on developing players and locking them up to long-term deals ensuring that if a team like the Yankees does scoop them up, they'll be passed their prime and around 32/33. This is why guys like Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez, Joey Votto and Andrew McCutchen haven't hit the market and why the free agent market has been pure bullshit for the last few years.

Plus there's a reason why prospects are important. Not just because the teams are banking on them to come up and be future all stars, but because they also serve as trade bait. Teams aren't making trades willy-nilly anymore. What every team wants is a high ceiling prospect who they can have on their team for a very long time. Because the Yankees don't have any of those top 10 in the minors type of prospects, no team is going to trade them the players they want. This is why you won't be seeing Giancarlo Stanton patrolling the Yankees outfield in pinstripes anytime soon. Although the Yankees's farm system is pretty underrated (contrary to what people believe, the Yankees farmsystem isn't as bad as the media says it is, although it's far from ideal), it's just not good enough to convince another team to trade one of their marquee players.

And that Cham is why prospects are important and why the Yankees and most of their fans are fucking idiots if they think they can keep winning by spending money on the free agent market.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 10:05:02 PM »
This opening day was so shitty for the Yanks that I almost thought they were playing an April Fool's joke on us.

MistaNova

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 07:36:25 AM »
This opening day was so shitty for the Yanks that I almost thought they were playing an April Fool's joke on us.

Somewhere in LA, Robinson Cano (of the first place Seattle Mariners) is laughing at how shitty the Yankees are.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »
I mean, they did it this offseason and the roster looks fine to me. One of the better lineups in baseball if you ask me. I know you'll respond with "They'll all be on the DL by June". But I'm optimistic about this team.

I agree teams are doing a much better job of locking up their all-stars at a younger age. But some will always fall through the cracks. Like Tampa Bay is going to have to move David Price. The Cubs are probably going to move Samardzija. Not saying we'll get either one, but we'll be in the mix. That's why small market teams are called small market teams. They can't pay all their talent $150 million+ per contract.

MistaNova

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 06:38:42 PM »
You don't get it do you? Small market teams lock up players so they can take away the prime years of the players they lock up. So by the time those players hit the market (IF they hit the market) they'll be past their prime and have nowhere to go but down. Meaning that if the Yankees were to sign them, they'd be in the declining phase of their career and will never be able to live to the huge deals they get. Brian McCann is a great example. He's already 30, he peaked a long as time ago and he's been in decline since 2008. Hence why the Braves didn't make much of an effort to keep him around and no other team was dumb enough to throw $85 million at him.

As for Price, I doubt that the team that eventually trades for Price will allow him to hit free agency. Especially if that team gives up a substantial amount of prospects to acquire Price in the first place. No team is dumb enough to deplete their farm system just for half a season of Price (except maybe the Yankees). Whether or not Price goes anywhere will depend on whether or not Price will be willing to sign long term with the team he's traded. We already know the Mariners are out and there's no way Tampa would discuss any trade with the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles or Blue Jays.
And as for Samardzija, the Cubs could keep him around if they wanted to (they're not a small market team) and they'll probably need to considering how their farm system is stacked with offensive talent, but kinda light on pitching. But if Samardzija did end up getting traded the same thing I said about Price would probably apply. The Cubs want top prospects and the only way a team will give them that (or those) top prospect(s) is if they know that Samardzija will stay with the team for more than just one season (or one half of a season).

Basically the Yankees are fucked in this new era of prospect hugging. And they'll learn the hard way that not having a controllable homegrown core will hurt them for the next few years.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »
You don't get it do you? Small market teams lock up players so they can take away the prime years of the players they lock up. So by the time those players hit the market (IF they hit the market) they'll be past their prime and have nowhere to go but down. Meaning that if the Yankees were to sign them, they'd be in the declining phase of their career and will never be able to live to the huge deals they get. Brian McCann is a great example. He's already 30, he peaked a long as time ago and he's been in decline since 2008. Hence why the Braves didn't make much of an effort to keep him around and no other team was dumb enough to throw $85 million at him.

As for Price, I doubt that the team that eventually trades for Price will allow him to hit free agency. Especially if that team gives up a substantial amount of prospects to acquire Price in the first place. No team is dumb enough to deplete their farm system just for half a season of Price (except maybe the Yankees). Whether or not Price goes anywhere will depend on whether or not Price will be willing to sign long term with the team he's traded. We already know the Mariners are out and there's no way Tampa would discuss any trade with the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles or Blue Jays.
And as for Samardzija, the Cubs could keep him around if they wanted to (they're not a small market team) and they'll probably need to considering how their farm system is stacked with offensive talent, but kinda light on pitching. But if Samardzija did end up getting traded the same thing I said about Price would probably apply. The Cubs want top prospects and the only way a team will give them that (or those) top prospect(s) is if they know that Samardzija will stay with the team for more than just one season (or one half of a season).

Basically the Yankees are fucked in this new era of prospect hugging. And they'll learn the hard way that not having a controllable homegrown core will hurt them for the next few years.

This is on point. The only reason top level players make it to free agency to begin with is because they're starting to reach their decline years, otherwise teams extend their contracts before they can even hit free agency.

And either Astros have shown vast improvement or Yanks really need to step their fucking game up.