Author Topic: Michael Jordan: "I Considered Myself Racist"  (Read 1584 times)

Sccit

Michael Jordan: "I Considered Myself Racist"
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
Michael Jordan: ‘I considered myself a racist’

Dan Feldman
May 7, 2014, 10:57 AM EDT

Michael Jordan, in Roland Lazenby’s, “Michael Jordan: The Life,” discussed his upbringing and his views on race as an elementary-school student. An excerpt (hat tip: Natalie Finn of E! Online):

Earlier that year, a girl at school called Michael a “nigger.”

“I threw a soda at her,” he recalled. “It was a very tough year. I was really rebelling. I considered myself a racist at that time. Basically, I was against all white people.”

I know where this is going: What’s the difference between Jordan and Donald Sterling?

For one, Jordan was a kid, someone with a narrow worldview due to lack of experience. Sterling’s hate comes despite a lifetime of opportunities to see the world differently.

Secondly, Jordan has changed. At that time, he was upset about the treatment his great grandfather – who had recently passed away – had received from whites throughout his life (Lazenby talked about that in his interview with PBT). Jordan’s anger was understandable, based on repeatedly seeing and hearing about whites establishing power over blacks and exercising it to do harm. Sterling came from a place of power, and he used it through housing discrimination and workplace harassment to keep minorities down.

In another excerpt from the book (full disclosure: I receive a free promotional copy), Jordan discussed the aftermath of that incident at school:

“The education came from my parents,” Jordan recalled. “You have to be able to say, OK, that happened back then. Now let’s take it from here and see what happens. it would be very easy to hate people for the rest of your life, and some people have done that. You’ve got to deal with what’s happening now and try to make things better.”

Jordan’s grade-school attitude wasn’t healthy. Jordan the adult knows that, and that’s what matters.

Nobody is perfect, but we should all try to learn and be better. Jordan did.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/07/michael-jordan-i-considered-myself-a-racist/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Michael Jordan: "I Considered Myself Racist"
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »
lol, nobody says anything about Larry Johnson though?

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
What about Larry Johnson

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 12:40:07 AM »
http://nypost.com/2014/04/27/knicks-great-larry-johnson-calls-for-all-black-league/

I had a dream that larry johnson was playing in the nba again because of this post

that was a nice Knicks team back in the day with Spreewell, Larry Johnson, Starks, Ewing
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »
Remember how hard they tried to keep Jordan from purchasing a team ? how long it took, how stern took his number 1 draft pick away.....

if your white, your a racist, thats how you white boys are taking it !!!....right ?

we dont think that anymore then you think that your race is supreme...

why not make cartoons with non whites as the Lead Role for the next 10 years ?
it seems as though white peoples feel as though they got the short straw and so everything has to be white or else they will feel like theyre race is losing.... look at the patterns of Mac Miller, see how he constantly has to flip all scenarios, same with Aubrey you know him as Drake aka the elite....
on xbox or ps LIVE, its not black people yelling and calling me a nigger or spic..... so are you racist, NO, well i bet you know plenty who are !

i think racism is in your blood, and it diluted the many non whites, so thanks.....lol

but study your ancestry and see how your people became civilized..... 8)
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 04:29:41 PM »
Remember how hard they tried to keep Jordan from purchasing a team ? how long it took, how stern took his number 1 draft pick away.....

if your white, your a racist, thats how you white boys are taking it !!!....right ?

we dont think that anymore then you think that your race is supreme...

why not make cartoons with non whites as the Lead Role for the next 10 years ?
it seems as though white peoples feel as though they got the short straw and so everything has to be white or else they will feel like theyre race is losing.... look at the patterns of Mac Miller, see how he constantly has to flip all scenarios, same with Aubrey you know him as Drake aka the elite....
on xbox or ps LIVE, its not black people yelling and calling me a nigger or spic..... so are you racist, NO, well i bet you know plenty who are !

i think racism is in your blood, and it diluted the many non whites, so thanks.....lol

but study your ancestry and see how your people became civilized..... 8)

looks like someone has been hitting the bottle pretty hard tonight

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
id watch an all black league

i hate european hoopers

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 05:37:27 PM »
id watch an all black league

i hate european hoopers

so what about the chinamen in the NBA? 

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:42:25 PM »
lol better question: what about the nba ballers in china hahaha

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 05:43:59 PM »
the "barsketballers" in china? 

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 06:07:27 PM »
blasket barr prayers

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:32:18 AM »
I don't think Jordan knows the meaning of racist. I broke it down on ToT once.

Racism is the idea that one race is superior to the other. So if he thinks blacks are superior to whites, then he is a racist. BUT, if he just didn't like whites because of growing up in the south, then he is either prejudice, or a bigot.

Like Archie Bunker, he is a bigot. He was not a racist because he could not hold minorities down and he had no power using racist words on his couch. Now if Archie Bunker says "blacks smell, they are always dirty and whites are superior because we the clean race," then that's holding a racist view. Like athletes, if you say, "whites can't jump, blacks are naturally the superior athlete, therefore the superior race," that is ALSO a racist view. Now Jordan as an executive, if he doesn't draft a white player because he believes blacks are superior athletes and he refuses to have whites on his team, then Michael Jordan would be a racist. We don't know Jordan's views on white basketball players, but we do know he has white players on his team so Jordan has not been proven to be a racist.

Now on to Donald Sterling. Well talking to his girlfriend on the phone is actually not racist. What makes Donald Sterling a racist was denying people housing. Donald Sterling used his power to deny people a place to live. That's racist. Or if Donald Sterling would have said whites are superior to blacks, that's holding racist views. Now Sterling's conversation did instruct his girlfriend to not take pictures with black people, that's racial discrimination. Basically all around, you can point to Donald Sterling and say, yes, that man is a racist. Even though he has mostly black players, he looks at his players as his property and he controls them and owns them. That's very racist.

So all and all, the work racist is not something that can just be thrown out there. It's very complicated. 

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
I don't think Jordan knows the meaning of racist. I broke it down on ToT once.

Racism is the idea that one race is superior to the other. So if he thinks blacks are superior to whites, then he is a racist. BUT, if he just didn't like whites because of growing up in the south, then he is either prejudice, or a bigot.

Like Archie Bunker, he is a bigot. He was not a racist because he could not hold minorities down and he had no power using racist words on his couch. Now if Archie Bunker says "blacks smell, they are always dirty and whites are superior because we the clean race," then that's holding a racist view. Like athletes, if you say, "whites can't jump, blacks are naturally the superior athlete, therefore the superior race," that is ALSO a racist view. Now Jordan as an executive, if he doesn't draft a white player because he believes blacks are superior athletes and he refuses to have whites on his team, then Michael Jordan would be a racist. We don't know Jordan's views on white basketball players, but we do know he has white players on his team so Jordan has not been proven to be a racist.

Now on to Donald Sterling. Well talking to his girlfriend on the phone is actually not racist. What makes Donald Sterling a racist was denying people housing. Donald Sterling used his power to deny people a place to live. That's racist. Or if Donald Sterling would have said whites are superior to blacks, that's holding racist views. Now Sterling's conversation did instruct his girlfriend to not take pictures with black people, that's racial discrimination. Basically all around, you can point to Donald Sterling and say, yes, that man is a racist. Even though he has mostly black players, he looks at his players as his property and he controls them and owns them. That's very racist.

So all and all, the work racist is not something that can just be thrown out there. It's very complicated. 

but blacks are superior athletes in general....so yea, the entire world is justifiably racist if they know whats up.