Author Topic: Pacquiao-Marquez V?  (Read 190 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Pacquiao-Marquez V?
« on: May 18, 2014, 04:34:04 PM »
Mayweather-Pacquiao is what everyone has been wanting, but that's not an option until 2015, after Manny's contract with Top Rank expires.  That being said...

Marquez whooped on Alvarado pretty bad for most of last night's fight, with the exception of the one round where Alvarado scored a knockdown late in the fight.  Marquez wants a belt at welterweight to become the first Mexican fighter to win however many titles in however many weight classes, so Pacquiao-Marquez V makes the most sense, regardless of how many times we've seen the story.  He already got dominated by Floyd (who holds two of the welterweight belts and doesn't want to work with Top Rank anyway), and Porter is still a nobody (and possibly also a Golden Boy fighter, which still poses a slight problem, depending on how much involvement Richard Schaefer has with the company from this point forward).

What other fight out there will pay him as much?  Regardless of who he chooses, he'll be 41 by the time it happens, and age is going to catch up to him sooner or later, so realistically retirement could be dangerously soon, so he'll want a nice retirement check, if he's smart.  Because if age happens to catch up to him at his next fight and he loses, it's better to have lost with a $7 million payday instead of $2 million.  Just look at Marquez last year... he was offered as high as $12 million for a fifth fight, which he declined for Bradley, but he ended up losing for maybe half of that.  Marquez will get a nice paycheck if he takes on Manny again, but rest assured it won't be $12 million this time, with him having lost to Bradley previously.

If the fight happens, it needs to do its numbers, and it will need all of the help it can get, especially if it ends up happening in Macau again... which I personally don't give a shit about, since it airs on PPV live at the same time as it would if it were here.  The rematch aspect alone (considering the scoreboard so far along with their last fight) is a selling point, especially with both of them coming off of impressive, clear wins, so it should do better than, say, Pacquiao-Bradley II did, especially now with the Mexican fanbase being involved.  But Arum needs to take his head out of his ass and stack this undercard like there's no tomorrow.  I was thinking, perhaps it can have a "co-event" of some sort... perhaps their previous vanquished foes?  The rubbermatch of Rios-Alvarado III is already something that needs to happen, so it would really give boxing fans even more of a reason to tune in.  The timing will work out, since Rios hasn't fought since losing to Manny in 2013 (plus he had a suspension anyway for whatever banned substance was found in his drug test) and Alvarado will have healed up by then.

Or put Donaire on there... he'll actually be fighting in Macau this month, so he'd likely be available in November.  Maybe he can rematch with Rigondeaux or move up in weight and fight Juan Manuel Lopez.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Pacquiao-Marquez V?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 04:37:04 PM »
Broner called him out after his last fight. I can see that happening.

But yeah, Pac/Marquez V will happen.

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Pacquiao-Marquez V?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »
Broner called him out after his last fight. I can see that happening.

But yeah, Pac/Marquez V will happen.
Not until after Broner wins a meaningful match after getting beat the fuck up by Maidana.  It's just as pointless as all of the Mayweather-Pacquiao talk after Pacquiao beat Rios.  At least have Broner win another fight or two, preferably against Maidana.

I'm not sure what Marquez would deserve though.  Like I said, that $12 million offer became a one-time deal, as he wouldn't be going into the fight with the same momentum as before and not with the same positioning, having previously lost to the guy Manny just beat and took the WBO welterweight belt from, even if Marquez did beat Manny in their last meeting.  He should get AT LEAST $6 million (which is what he got for their fourth fight and also for his fight with Bradley), but I have a feeling they'll throw more at him, especially since Marquez for whatever reason isn't showing a ton of interest in fighting again, whether he's playing hard to get (to sweeten his deal, which is what Cotto did to get Top Rank to give him a little bit more when it was stated that he was also offered Canelo) or if he just really doesn't want to fight Manny again.  But why else stay in boxing at that age?