Author Topic: It's amazing to see that Obie went platinum with his first album  (Read 750 times)

sofdark

I remember copping this when it came out back in 2003.

Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit buzz was strong during that period. Cheers went platinum with no hit singles. The album itself was a very solid/up-to-par album. Nice production by Dre and Em, Obie did his job as well.

Come to think of it, even the whole G-Unit people went platinum with their debut album. Hell, even wack ass Yayo went Gold.

It was a great time for hip hop.

Hack Wilson - real

Re: It's amazing to see that Obie went platinum with his first album
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:35:09 PM »
it was ALL off the hype of that song "drips" from the eminem show.   that was THE dopest song on the entire album...well besides Square dance.  Obie brought his A+ game to the show and Em matched him with an equally dope verse.

Remedy360

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »

Shady/Aftermath/G-Unit buzz was strong during that period. Cheers went platinum with no hit singles. The album itself was a very solid/up-to-par album. Nice production by Dre and Em, Obie did his job as well.

Come to think of it, even the whole G-Unit people went platinum with their debut album. Hell, even wack ass Yayo went Gold.

Maybe no mega hits, but I remember hearing "Got Some Teeth" all over Seattle radio so I'm sure it was getting spins elsewhere too. No real arguing that the hype came from the Em affiliation though. But yeah, very good album, wish I still had my copy.

Blood$

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:34:32 PM »
I remember hearing "The Set Up" down here alot plus the remix... I gotta grab that album if I see it anywhere

Will_B

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 11:40:42 PM »
Maybe no mega hits, but I remember hearing "Got Some Teeth" all over Seattle radio so I'm sure it was getting spins elsewhere too. No real arguing that the hype came from the Em affiliation though. But yeah, very good album, wish I still had my copy.

That track blew up here too. Got Some Teeth was the 'Thrift Shop' of its day :D

doggfather

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 01:15:49 AM »
nutin amazing, juts interesting the hype bout him.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
Cheers is the most underrated album of all time.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »
That was a damn solid album.  That track that he did with Eminem, "Lady", was fierce.  He had like two or three Dr. Dre tracks including the one where him and Dre are going at Murder, Inc.  That posse cut with Em and G-Unit was a banger as well.

I'm not surprised it sold well.  The momentum was there.  They gave Obie a huge shout at the beginning of that first single/video off The Eminem Show and were mentioning him pretty heavily in promotion.  He could put on the back burner for 50 but the momentum coming off the hype of "8 Mile" and "Get Rich or Die Tryin" definitely benefited him.  It didn't hurt that that it was a really good album too.

Remedy360

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »

That track blew up here too. Got Some Teeth was the 'Thrift Shop' of its day :D

Lol I still like the track for nostalgic purposes but yeah, pretty weird in retrospect.

Blood$

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:50:31 PM »
Second Round's On Me was solid too, I didn't like it on the first listen I remember but then it grew on me... shame that album didn't get the same push that Cheers did

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 08:32:45 PM »
Aftermath and Shady were larger than life at that time. NIK would've gone gold on that label in 2003.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 12:10:50 AM »
Not really amazing. Dude had 4 Dre beats, 1 Dre feature, 2 Nate Dogg hooks, and Eminem was all over it. It was an Interscope Machine album much like The Documentary. Not hating though, the album was fuckin great. I still bump Look In My Eyes, Average Man, Hey Lady, and We All Die 1 Day all the damn time.

it was ALL off the hype of that song "drips" from the eminem show.   that was THE dopest song on the entire album...well besides Square dance.  Obie brought his A+ game to the show and Em matched him with an equally dope verse.

Wtf? That album was loaded with classics but "Drips" wasn't one of them.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Blood$

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
I honestly don't even recall hearing much on the radio down here other than "The Set Up" and don't even remember much promo for the album but it's dope how it still sold well cuz it deserved it

Will_B

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2014, 11:25:03 PM »
It's was a stroke of marketing genius having that 'obie trice, real name no gimmick' on the Em single. Otherwise foreal foreal the cat wouldn't have got half the recognition

On a side note I guess the forum was really poppin back them when all this stuff was happenin foreal

fogcitypimpin

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 01:49:13 PM »

Yayo wack?  U ever heard of I run new york 50 cent ft tony yayo.

I flip cocaine in ya project lobby
And beat u wit my pistol cane did chauncey????

A hunnid clips and hunnid guns, yall ready to die
Fat joe aint a gangsta, he scared to fly??

Yeah I feel u.  Those some wack lyrics.   P.s im probably fucking some of u 90s babies mommas