Author Topic: Post your Home Studio Pics  (Read 1751 times)

Don Seer

Post your Home Studio Pics
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:31:55 PM »
Thought it best to keep this separate from the other discussion about home studios. would love to see other peoples set ups.

This was a detached single car garage that a previous owner connected the house via a conservatory and covered corridor. I converted it by putting in a loft, which houses plastic boxes with a lot of my books/cds and dvds. I insulated & isolated/soundproofed the walls, ceiling and floor. The room I created has multiple uses, and is used as a home cinema, as a guitar practice/recording space and for general computer usage and chilling. Overall dimensions are 230cm by 350cm (or 7 1/2ft by 11 1/2 ft).

Here's what you see when you open the door.

From Left to Right.  Cheap Bass, Marlin Sidewinder (80s strat copy used for playing slide), Squier Vintage Modified SSH Telecaster, MIK 95 Standard Stratocaster, MIK 95 Standard Telecaster, 'Jim Deacon' Electro-Acoustic, Classical.
The electro-acoustic gets the most use as I jam with a couple guys one night a week and we all use acoustics.

The heart of everything is the Soundcraft Compact 10 Channel Mixer. Super versatile and can provided phantom power for a mic, 2 channels can take input from a record deck (including riaa reversal), and even guitar inbuilt DI,  and anything else I chuck at it. the recording output goes into the recording interface I point out in the next image. the monitor output goes into the main hi-fi amp.
Technics SL-2000 direct drive turntable and a Technics EQ.

2 PC's. One on left is purely for running remote debug if writing code or has a webserver when doing that kind of thing.
 I use Mixcraft to record. Thought I'd chuck the controller keyboard in the image since this is a studio thread but it doesn't get much use (notice the dust!)
Take note of the matt silver device at the back left hand corner of the keyboard (to the right of the shiny silver glasses case) thats a RCA->USB recording interface.

Amps: Fender Champion 600 "Little Blondie" Reissue (Which I've upgraded with Tungsol valves), Roland Cube 20X,  cheap bass amp (on the floor)
Pedals.. on custom built board. so it'll tuck under that ikea table :)
Top left: Radial Big Shot 'ABY' allows me to split signal to hear via amp and still output to play rocksmith,  
Top right: EHX LBP-1. A straight booster, need this with the newer rocksmith for it to pick up the bass.
Middle: - danelectro cool cat fuzz v2.
bottom right: Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
bottom left: digitech hardwire series rv-7 reverb (bought to get that spring reverb when playing muted notes for surf stuff :))
far right - wah pedal.

newest toy, a condensor mic. so clear, awesome for recording acoustic guitar or vocals. (not that I can sing)
vintage wooden trunk contains various guitar parts, there's a project vintage MIJ strat copy in bits behind it, and the grande lava lamp in the background under which is another trunk containing my vinyl collection.

Here's what I see when watching movies. door goes to the remaining storage space at the front of the garage (where the big metal door is, which is disconnected and blocked so it doesn't open anymore, but it can if needed)
the other door to the left of where I sit has a window in, and its got a black out blind over it.
xbox 360, blu-ray player. 5.1 dts/dolby digital amp.
hacked ikea-table to house centre speaker, sub and left speaker in dead space under computer desk. other speaker in similar position on the right.
oil filled radiator with thermostat keeps it from dippign too low, the other heater gets the room heated quick if needed.

and where i'm sat when watching with the rear speakers above me. i ran the cabling for the rears when building the room.

contents of bookcase nicely sorted.

hidden way up high  8) .. a photo print of the famous rolling stone cover, and Dr.Dre signed 100 miles and running

« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:18:50 PM by Don Seer »

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Post your Home Studio Pics
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 08:14:23 PM »
that's dope..i'll post mine up...
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:33:46 PM »
Seer isn't fucking around.  :o

Bandida

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 12:53:28 AM »
Can I ask, why don't you post anything you record????
I love guitar riffs in rap, my favorites being everything featured on the R U Still Down album....
A guy serenaded me to sleep playing classical guitar once. Then ruined the moment by telling everyone he slept with me afterwards....

Would love to here the fruits of your, what I am assuming is a very expensive and well honed craft....

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 02:21:53 PM »

coz it aint all that good..

Would love to here the fruits of your, what I am assuming is a very expensive and well honed craft....

all that stuff ain't worth all that.. actually i have slightly different guitars now and a few more pedals.. but really.. being able to record in this environment is about having a way to listen to myself with a critical ear, part of the honing process, but its a long road!

Bandida

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »

coz it aint all that good..

all that stuff ain't worth all that.. actually i have slightly different guitars now and a few more pedals.. but really.. being able to record in this environment is about having a way to listen to myself with a critical ear, part of the honing process, but its a long road!

Okay, thanx for the feedback....

You do realise though, if you ever produce sosomething you deem worthy of a release, and if per chance it actually got picked up and you were able to make a name for yourself, and through dedication to your craft, carved a career out of your hobby, all those hours messing about in your home studio could prove to be little nuggets of gold that dedicated fans would pay an arm n a leg to purchase and hear what you deem " ain't all that good "..... Like how people freak over the original sheet of paper Bob Dylan wrote a song on n what not....

Just saying...
One mans trash is another mans treasure.....

abusive

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 10:40:11 AM »
Here's mine.

No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

Bandida

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »
Not as impressive but at least we know what ya working with...

mrfranklin

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 12:01:15 AM »
Something is better than nothuing