Author Topic: MLB Free Agency/Offseason 2014 Thread.  (Read 606 times)

Sccit

Re: MLB Free Agency/Offseason 2014 Thread.
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »
no talk on matt kemp bein traded?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
Huge mistake by Dodgers. I have no idea why they did that.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 04:20:55 PM »
White Sox get that shitty .300 hitter Melky.

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »

i agree...can any1 here justify their thought process??

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 01:12:16 PM »

They got prospects coming up, owe Kemp a lot of money, he's injury prone, they beef up the farm system with the guys they got, they have a crowded outfield as it is, they want to keep Puig, the Padres wouldn't have done it for anyone else.

It's hard as a Dodgers fan to say goodbye to a guy whose been the offensive franchise guy for a couple years now, but long term this will probably work out better for them.

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 01:14:10 PM »
keepin puig was the only thing that made sense to me....i still think we coulda retained both, tho

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »
White Sox get that shitty .300 hitter Melky.

how many homers is he gonna hit, Cham?  12?  15?  so exciting lol
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:01:24 PM by Hack Brodenheimer »

Remedy360

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »
^ lol SMH

Remedy360

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 06:04:48 PM »
keepin puig was the only thing that made sense to me....i still think we coulda retained both, tho

For the massive investment they made in him dude has just been too injuy prone and hasn't been able to live up to it. I don't know the Dodgers organization that well, but it makes sense as far as being able to put money into other players and I'm sure the Padres had some building blocks that they liked. I wouldn't have minded taking a risk on Kemp cause he is really talented, but it is a risk, and I don't feel like he's ever going to back back to the MVP caliber season he had in 2011. Speculating a bit here but I don't know that he was willing to do everything the organization wanted him to do as well.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 06:14:11 PM by Remedy360 »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 06:37:06 PM »
dodgers gonna have trouble scoring runs next year if Puig misses time

MistaNova

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 06:24:27 AM »

Cham almost nailed it.
With Joc Pederson pretty much in the bigs now (and playing for a fraction of what Kemp is being paid) the Dodgers were inevitably going to move one of their outfielders (personally I thought Ethier was going to be out the door since his contract is slightly less terrible than Kemp's).
Although the Dodgers did not "beef up their farmsystem" with this trade, all they really did what shed some salary and add a catcher (a position that's been a problem for them since Piazza got traded), it's not like the Dodgers landed Max Fried or Hunter Renfroe in this deal.
Plus the reality is that Kemp has been in steady decline for a while and its only going to get worse. He's not going to fall off a cliff but it's better to get rid of him while he still has this much value left.

On the other side the Padres are probably not done. They're also rumored to be in on Justin Upton and Wil Myers. I doubt they land both but an outfield with Kemp and one of those would at least give the Padres a solid chance to be the third best team in the NL West.

Also this just in, the Yankees resigned Chris Capuano (1 year $5 million).
The Yankees need to grow some balls, give their fans the finger and rebuild. Until they get some younger talent in there (Didi is a good start but not enough) and have CC, Tex & A-Rod's contracts come off the books they're not going to be playing baseball in October.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 06:27:56 AM by #FreeMyNiggaARod »

Sccit

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
kemp had a great second half of last season.......i think eithier wasnt moved cuz he has 0 value.

Remedy360

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 06:06:39 PM »

Cham almost nailed it.
With Joc Pederson pretty much in the bigs now (and playing for a fraction of what Kemp is being paid) the Dodgers were inevitably going to move one of their outfielders (personally I thought Ethier was going to be out the door since his contract is slightly less terrible than Kemp's).
Although the Dodgers did not "beef up their farmsystem" with this trade, all they really did what shed some salary and add a catcher (a position that's been a problem for them since Piazza got traded), it's not like the Dodgers landed Max Fried or Hunter Renfroe in this deal.
Plus the reality is that Kemp has been in steady decline for a while and its only going to get worse. He's not going to fall off a cliff but it's better to get rid of him while he still has this much value left.

On the other side the Padres are probably not done. They're also rumored to be in on Justin Upton and Wil Myers. I doubt they land both but an outfield with Kemp and one of those would at least give the Padres a solid chance to be the third best team in the NL West.

Also this just in, the Yankees resigned Chris Capuano (1 year $5 million).
The Yankees need to grow some balls, give their fans the finger and rebuild. Until they get some younger talent in there (Didi is a good start but not enough) and have CC, Tex & A-Rod's contracts come off the books they're not going to be playing baseball in October.

Would be crazy to see the Padres start throwing big money around, although looking at their records they've been a lot more respectable in the last decade or so than I had thought.