Author Topic: 96-98 Chicago Bulls Appreciation Thread  (Read 2207 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
96-98 Chicago Bulls Appreciation Thread
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
Watching that 97' Miami Heat series on youtube, and it is bring back some great memories that I had forgotten about.

Technically the Heat lost the series 4-1, but it was actually a dogfight for the Bulls.  The Heat were able to drag the Bulls down to their level, and Jordan even struggled in the series.  But you know Rodman loves a dogfight and him and Mourning were battling all series.  Shit got real personal with Mourning not even shaking Jordan's hand before Game 4 and then Jordan not shaking any of the Heat hands before Game 5.  A key moment in the series was when the Heat were dominating the Bulls in Game 4 and then Mourning elbowed Pippen so hard it left a huge knot on his forehead.  Although they were down too much to come back in that game, they carried it over to Game 5 and put the Heat away.

...if you love Dennis Rodman it is a great series to watch him and Zo go at it, because shit was real.  They seriously hated each other personally and neither player was backing down.  In the one Bulls loss in Game 4 Rodman put up like 20 Rebounds and was even going hard on offense putting up 13 points.  He makes some moves offensively in the series that he hadn't made since his days with the Pistons.

...and if you love Scottie Pippen it's also a great series to watch.  Pip really looks sharp in the series, picking it up for Michael often times.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 01:39:09 PM by Infinite...I'm back, I'm back »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

Re: 96-98 Chicago Bulls Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 03:35:40 PM »
pippen is so damn underrated...it wasnt rare to see MJ take a backseat to him. not to mention, he always locked down the best player on the opposing teams.

great team...easily top 5 assembled of all-time

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »

::)

That's not a compliment.  That's like saying Jordan is a top 5 player or calling Dre a top 5 producer.

The only team that can compete with the 96-98 Bulls is the 91-93 Bulls. 

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »

That's not a compliment.  That's like saying Jordan is a top 5 player or calling Dre a top 5 producer.

Hum... I'm trying to think... hum... Is the 95-96 Chicago Bulls the greatest team ever? Are the late 90's Bulls the greatest dynasty of all time? I'd say the team that rivals them for that top spot is the 1960's Boston Celtics and the 1980's Lakers. The problem with the 60's Celtics was they didn't face the level of competition as the 90's Bulls, and the 80's Lakers might have have tougher competition but they weren't as dominate and they didn't have no one that could have matched Mike, as MJ would have been guarded by B. Scott and Magic.

Here is why I think the 90's Bulls might be the greatest dynasty of all time, and it's highlighted by this man...

In the 80's Pat Riley proved to be a great coach when he had Magic and Showtime. But one area he didn't do well was adjustments. Phil is one of the best defensive coaches in the NBA history, if not the best. Plus you can ask, could Showtime win with a different coach other than Riley, hell they won with Paul Westhead, who everyone HATED. The Showtime Lakers were the most full proof team to coach. Anyone can win with them. But the Bulls, it took a very special coach to win with Jordan because Jordan was very hard to coach. If we had as much assess to MJ as we do Kobe, people would truly HATE Jordan and the stories that come out of Chicago. But Phil was able to bring him in and channel him to be the team player that could win.

So, at the end of the day, I will agree with Infinite, and I'll give the Bulls their due, but it's because Phil Jackson might be the greatest coach ever and he really figured out a way to win with Jordan and Rodman on the same time.

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »

lmao...showtime lakers woulda had their way with those bulls teams. jordan couldnt compete in the 80s, and the nba was way weaker by the time he started winning.

and jordan is a top 10 player... every1 within that top ten is the best at what they do + is interchangeable at number 1. there is no definitive GOAT, just a top tier of GOATs, and Jordan is in it.

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »

Hum... I'm trying to think... hum... Is the 95-96 Chicago Bulls the greatest team ever? Are the late 90's Bulls the greatest dynasty of all time? I'd say the team that rivals them for that top spot is the 1960's Boston Celtics and the 1980's Lakers. The problem with the 60's Celtics was they didn't face the level of competition as the 90's Bulls, and the 80's Lakers might have have tougher competition but they weren't as dominate and they didn't have no one that could have matched Mike, as MJ would have been guarded by B. Scott and Magic.

Here is why I think the 90's Bulls might be the greatest dynasty of all time, and it's highlighted by this man...

In the 80's Pat Riley proved to be a great coach when he had Magic and Showtime. But one area he didn't do well was adjustments. Phil is one of the best defensive coaches in the NBA history, if not the best. Plus you can ask, could Showtime win with a different coach other than Riley, hell they won with Paul Westhead, who everyone HATED. The Showtime Lakers were the most full proof team to coach. Anyone can win with them. But the Bulls, it took a very special coach to win with Jordan because Jordan was very hard to coach. If we had as much assess to MJ as we do Kobe, people would truly HATE Jordan and the stories that come out of Chicago. But Phil was able to bring him in and channel him to be the team player that could win.

So, at the end of the day, I will agree with Infinite, and I'll give the Bulls their due, but it's because Phil Jackson might be the greatest coach ever and he really figured out a way to win with Jordan and Rodman on the same time.

what are u talkin about, 90s bulls faced some of the weakest competition ever...sonics, jazz, cavs, knicks, heat, blazers...each and every one of these teams woulda been swept by the 80s teams like the pistons, celtics, lakers, rockets, sixers etc... thats why jordan always got fucked back in the 80s and only started winning once the nba got weaker.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:30:44 PM »

the 85-86 Celtics are generally considered the best team of all time.

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:05:31 PM »

the 85-86 Celtics are generally considered the best team of all time.

pg magic johnson
sg byron scott...michael cooper
sf james worthy...jamaal wilkes
pf bob mcadoo...kurt rambis
c kareem abdul-jabbar

seriously, how can it get better?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 07:07:18 PM »
My argument for the Bulls is not the players, but the coach. The Lakers have the better collection of talent and their bench was the deepest maybe in NBA history. But in a 7 game series I think Phil Jackson would out coach Part Riley no matter who's on the court.

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 07:14:05 PM »
My argument for the Bulls is not the players, but the coach. The Lakers have the better collection of talent and their bench was the deepest maybe in NBA history. But in a 7 game series I think Phil Jackson would out coach Part Riley no matter who's on the court.

phil jackson also coached the laker team that got swept by dallas.....so the collection of talent is too much for the bulls to overcome just because of a better coach. and pat riley is a legendary coach in his own regard, so it aint like phil jackson vs mike d'antoni we talkin bout....

but seriously, jordan was gettin manhandled by the 80s pistons.........no way in hell would any bulls team stand a chance against the showtime lakers. if he lost finals games to the sonics and jazz, then he woulda been SWEPT by magic, kareem, worthy, scott, wilkes, mcadoo, cooper, and em

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »

phil jackson also coached the laker team that got swept by dallas.....so the collection of talent is too much for the bulls to overcome just because of a better coach. and pat riley is a legendary coach in his own regard, so it aint like phil jackson vs mike d'antoni we talkin bout....

but seriously, jordan was gettin manhandled by the 80s pistons.........no way in hell would any bulls team stand a chance against the showtime lakers. if he lost finals games to the sonics and jazz, then he woulda been SWEPT by magic, kareem, worthy, scott, wilkes, mcadoo, cooper, and em

But 1996 Michael Jordan was far superior to 1989 Michael Jordan. And his team was far superior. He'd have Rodman on his team and a prime Pippen.

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 07:22:31 PM »

But 1996 Michael Jordan was far superior to 1989 Michael Jordan. And his team was far superior. He'd have Rodman on his team and a prime Pippen.

he was actually better statistically and physically in 1989....but yea, phil got him to play within a team structure.

still, magic AND kareem....theyre both argued as GOAT. AND worthy, AND scott, AND cooper, AND mcadoo, AND wilkes. it's insurmountable

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 07:32:58 PM »

he was actually better statistically and physically in 1989....but yea, phil got him to play within a team structure.

still, magic AND kareem....theyre both argued as GOAT. AND worthy, AND scott, AND cooper, AND mcadoo, AND wilkes. it's insurmountable

Except the Bulls won 72 and 69 games back to back years, two of the three best seasons in a row. If you watch both at the time, you saw Phil at his best. When the Lakers got swept by the Mavs, Phil was sick and coaching half time. In 1996, Phil was on top of his game and making Riley look like a fool in the playoffs and in the regular season. He almost beat the Knicks without Mike. And that's were I think the Bulls were highly underrated. They won without MJ, they almost best the Knicks without MJ. They felt more like a team because Phil had them on the right path. Where as the Lakers HATED their coach. They hated Riley. So as a collection of talent, Showtime is better, but as a team, I have to agree with Infinite, the Bulls win because of Phil. I am convinced that without Phil, Jordan would be on the same level as Dr. J and LeBron. Second level superstar.

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 07:44:24 PM »

Except the Bulls won 72 and 69 games back to back years, two of the three best seasons in a row. If you watch both at the time, you saw Phil at his best. When the Lakers got swept by the Mavs, Phil was sick and coaching half time. In 1996, Phil was on top of his game and making Riley look like a fool in the playoffs and in the regular season. He almost beat the Knicks without Mike. And that's were I think the Bulls were highly underrated. They won without MJ, they almost best the Knicks without MJ. They felt more like a team because Phil had them on the right path. Where as the Lakers HATED their coach. They hated Riley. So as a collection of talent, Showtime is better, but as a team, I have to agree with Infinite, the Bulls win because of Phil. I am convinced that without Phil, Jordan would be on the same level as Dr. J and LeBron. Second level superstar.

yea 72 wins in a watered down eastern conference...still not as impressive as 33 straight by the lakers. but either way, them bulls team lost to the jazz and sonic twice my bro....no way they win a game against the showtime lakers, let alone a series.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 02:17:18 AM »
INice posts, MDogg.  And yes, Jordan was hard to coach, he was playing out of his mind but the Bulls still couldn't get past the Pistons until Jackson and Winter really got the triangle going and coached up all the role players.  And then later having to coach up the jordan-less Bulls to 55 wins and then later being able to allow dennis to be himself and having harmony with the three stars.

LOl@sccit saying there is no definitive GOAT and that Jordan is merely top 10.

Unlike Sccit, I'm not being biased because I got the one stat to back me up that you don't have.  In 1996 the Bulls broke the record for most wins in a season, and then blew through the playoffs and championship to make for the most historic season of all time.  Nough said.

The only claim you can make against the 72 win Bulls is the weaker competition argument but look how they dominated the Finals.  The Western Confrence was stacked in the mid 90's, Spurs, Rockets, Suns, Sonics, Jazz....those are 5 teams that all could've gotten a championship.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 02:24:08 AM by Infinite...I'm back, I'm back »