Author Topic: 14 Rappers Name The First Hip-Hop Album They Bought" Listed By XXL  (Read 510 times)

CORREA

Juvenile says Eric B. & Rakim's "Paid in Full" was the first album he purchased.

Long before iTunes became the leading music retailer on the planet, people purchased cassette tapes, CDs, and vinyl from record stores.

Many people – rappers included – can pinpoint when and where they bought their first album and which artist they were willing to spend their money on.

XXL recently asked 14 rappers to list the first album they purchased.

From Hip Hop veterans like Bun B and Juvenile to newcomers like Dej Loaf, Logic and Iamsu!, each artist had a different experience.

The first album Bun B ever bought was Slick Rick's The Great Adventures of Slick Rick. Dej Loaf purchased Da Band's Too Hot For TV. Logic remembers buying The Roots' Do You Want More?!!!??! and Juvenile says he bought Eric B. & Rakim's Paid in Full.

Check out the full list via XXL. http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2015/03/14-rappers-first-hip-hop-album-bought/

doggfather

Re: 14 Rappers Name The First Hip-Hop Album They Bought" Listed By XXL
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:33:58 AM »
i bought 2 albums one time 1st.

Onyx: shut em down and Ice-T O.G. original gangster
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

cStyle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:34:54 AM »
my first rap album was

Eazy-e -  It's On (Dr. Dre) 187um Killa

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 04:57:53 AM »
Eazy E - Eazy Duz It

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Game-Won

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:42:09 AM »
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle.. was 8 years old.

Snoop and Pac was pretty all that was played until i hit 14.

"I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses."
- Kobe

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 06:43:17 AM »
First album, Eazy Does It. But first album I bought with my own money, Doggystyle. Still mad I don't have it as it had G'z Up, Goes Down.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 08:18:46 AM »
First cd's I got were Doggystyle and The Chronic when I was 12, but my brother got those for me.  The first cd I went to buy was 2pac, but I was offended by the title "Strictly 4 My Niggaz" so I just bought the single "Keep Your Head Up", lol.  

I bought Above the Rim, but that was a soundtrack so maybe that doesn't count.

I think the first album I really bought might have been that summer when Warren G...The G Funk Era came out.  I actually thought it was a Death Row album.   I remember looking at the logos and not seeing Death Row and then I started to fear it was some unauthorized shit like Concrete Roots.  The songs also sounded real soft in comparison to The Chronic of Doggystyle.  I was a bit confused.  But as soon as that "This DJ" video came out it all made sense and it has been one of my all-time favorite albums ever since.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:32:38 PM by Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »
I had a bunch of bootleg tapes from the early 90s but the first album, of any genre, I actually went out and purchased was the Space Jam Soundtrack. As silly as that is. Before that, my father wouldn't really allow American music played in the house. I was about 14 by Space Jam and even still, had to hide it.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 09:59:45 AM »
Backstreet Boys - Millenium
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 10:35:24 PM »
EAZY-DUZ-IT

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 11:02:36 PM »
Dej Loaf purchased Da Band's Too Hot For TV

I enjoyed the tv show but no fuckin way in hell should anybody have purchased that piece of shit.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Blood$

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 12:20:55 PM »
Dej Loaf purchased Da Band's Too Hot For TV

I enjoyed the tv show but no fuckin way in hell should anybody have purchased that piece of shit.

it had a few cool songs, better than 90% of the bullshit that's out now like Big Sean, Tyga, Young Thug, etc.

Blood$

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 12:22:26 PM »
as for me when I was younger I could only get edited albums so I have a hard time remembering which one (might have been Bow Wow lol) I got first but the first album I bought with my own money that was explicit was Biggie - Ready To Die

Space RockStar SkyStalker Machine

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 12:54:02 PM »
Big Psych:

Biz Markie - Boogie Down Productions - That was a gay cassette so he went out and bought Eazy-Duz-It

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 09:59:34 PM »
First cd's I got were Doggystyle and The Chronic when I was 12, but my brother got those for me.  The first cd I went to buy was 2pac, but I was offended by the title "Strictly 4 My Niggaz" so I just bought the single "Keep Your Head Up", lol.  

I bought Above the Rim, but that was a soundtrack so maybe that doesn't count.

I think the first album I really bought might have been that summer when Warren G...The G Funk Era came out.  I actually thought it was a Death Row album.   I remember looking at the logos and not seeing Death Row and then I started to fear it was some unauthorized shit like Concrete Roots.  The songs also sounded real soft in comparison to The Chronic of Doggystyle.  I was a bit confused.  But as soon as that "This DJ" video came out it all made sense and it has been one of my all-time favorite albums ever since.

My first was Warren G Regulate. On a side note, I paid $24.99 for concrete roots and was very pissed when I listened to it smh. I purchased it blindly for the fact that it had a song called 'another g thang' on it so I assumed it was going to be amazing. I was around 15 at the time.
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :