Author Topic: Stupid things said in rap: that a rapper is "hard-working" or stays "grindin"  (Read 322 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I swear this happens all the time in interviews.  It is said by rappers themselves and also by those who cover rap music, such as journalists, critics, even fans.  There is talk about someone being "hard-working" in the studio, lol... or a rapper staying on his "grind" 24-7.

This actually started out as a metaphor for drug dealing.  Groups like Bone used to talk about being on their grind 24-7 and back then it was a reference to being out slangin rocks and shit like that... but somewhere along the line this actually came to really be about how "hard-working" a rapper is which is really a fuckin joke.

...This is the stupidest shit ever, cause what the fuck does it matter how fuckin hard a rapper works?   First of all, if anyone thinks that being in a fuckin studio recording music is a "hard" job to begin with than they have never actually done a legit 9-5.

...That's the first point.  The next point is that being in the studio all fuckin day and night and recording a million tracks doesn't mean jack shit.  Any classic song is just a case of an artist catching a wave of inspiration.  Like when Phil Collins recorded "In The Air of the Night" it's not like he was face-palming for hours beating his head against the wall and an idea came.  No, he just had a fucking new drum set or some shit and it was on the default settings, and a fucking wave of inspiration hit him and he starts belting out "I can feel it coming in the air tonight"—just because that's what sounded good over the default settings.  The rest is history...

Of course practice does matter when you are coming up in the game.  Like an artist refining his craft and developing it in his youth over thousands of hours—that is different.  But once the actual recording process and coming up with great music is about talent and inspiration.  Dre said during the Chronic album they were lazy as fuck and did more partying in the studio than actual work/recording.   But all that matters at the end of the day, was that they came up with a dozen or so inspired ideas and then you got a classic.   Snoop spent the next 20 years of his life working hard as a rapper and never came up with anything better than he did in that first year of "partying" and being "lazy" in the studio with Dre.

So can we stop all this fuckin talk in hip-hop about rappers being "hard-working" in the studio?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Well Phil Collins is a musical genius and a lot of rappers didn't finish high school. So to them it might be hard work at times, writing 48 bars that make sense and what not.

But mostly they just want recognition for either a) working hard or b) not working hard at all and effortlessly putting out shit people like (that's where the whole swag movement came from essentially).

Rappers also think it is hustling to sell stupid shit like ugly t-shirts to kids and shit. Most semi-successful entertainers don't know or have forgotten what annoying real 9-5 work actually is, but I can only envy them for that.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Well Phil Collins is a musical genius and a lot of rappers didn't finish high school. So to them it might be hard work at times, writing 48 bars that make sense and what not.

But mostly they just want recognition for either a) working hard or b) not working hard at all and effortlessly putting out shit people like (that's where the whole swag movement came from essentially).

Rappers also think it is hustling to sell stupid shit like ugly t-shirts to kids and shit. Most semi-successful entertainers don't know or have forgotten what annoying real 9-5 work actually is, but I can only envy them for that.

Agreed. 

Sccit

you're right in one respect.....that rapping is the fun part. but mixing and mastering music is literally taxing and not fun at all. i can spend a full month on 1 track, 3-4 hours of mixing each day, and it still wont be complete...the perks of bein a perfectionist.

plus, i dont think rappers are referring to makin music when they talk about grindin....they talkin about goin out there and promoting themselves+sellin the music, which does take a concentrated effort. is it the toughest job in the world? fuck no. but it requires a lot of patience and will power.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
you're right in one respect.....that rapping is the fun part. but mixing and mastering music is literally taxing and not fun at all. i can spend a full month on 1 track, 3-4 hours of mixing each day, and it still wont be complete...the perks of bein a perfectionist.

plus, i dont think rappers are referring to makin music when they talk about grindin....they talkin about goin out there and promoting themselves+sellin the music, which does take a concentrated effort. is it the toughest job in the world? fuck no. but it requires a lot of patience and will power.

Sorry cuz...but to keep in 100—I actually put you in that category of dudes who have been fortunate enough to never have to work a real, legit, hard-working 9-5—so they actually think their rap shit is "grinding" and "hard work"

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Most successful rappers have teams for the parts that aren't fun.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Blood$

anybody who hates on another man for being on his grind is a bum who knows nothing about hard work and grind himself

Sccit

Sorry cuz...but to keep in 100—I actually put you in that category of dudes who have been fortunate enough to never have to work a real, legit, hard-working 9-5—so they actually think their rap shit is "grinding" and "hard work"

do u even know where i work or what i do?...shut ur  damn mouth idiot. i dont have days off, i work BEYOND 9-5. thats why i didnt have time to satisfy your needs as a "guest" when u were out here, bitchboy.

ur 100 is more like 10

Hack Wilson - real

LMAO   damn....what's your proof on this Brian?  pretty bold statement

Hack Wilson - real

anybody who hates on another man for being on his grind is a bum who knows nothing about hard work and grind himself

and escapes to 3rd world countries where their dollar might last them a few years longer but they don't see their seeds lol

• Muthafuckin' Don!

do u even know where i work or what i do?...shut ur  damn mouth idiot. i dont have days off, i work BEYOND 9-5. thats why i didnt have time to satisfy your needs as a "guest" when u were out here, bitchboy.

ur 100 is more like 10

I'm sure in your mind you are "hard-working" and stay on your "grind" 24-7.  To me, from the outside looking in, and having experienced what I've experienced, I'm not buying it. 

« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 06:57:57 AM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »

Hack Wilson - real

do u even know where i work or what i do?...shut ur  damn mouth idiot. i dont have days off, i work BEYOND 9-5. thats why i didnt have time to satisfy your needs as a "guest" when u were out here, bitchboy.

ur 100 is more like 10

I'm sure in your mind you are "hard-working" and stay on your "grind" 24-7.  To me, from the outside looking in, and having experienced what I've experienced, I'm not buying it. 

so Sccit dropping a full length LP and opening for Joe Budden doesn't count as hard working??   ???

Sccit

ur 100 is more like 10

again, u dont even know what i do for work and u still talkin smh........"from the outside looking in".....from the inside lookin in, ur a bitter bitch.

one last time, if i wasnt workin my ass off daily, then we woulda been kickin it all day long when u came out here, goin 2 santa monica, smokin blunts on the pier, etc.....u the one who has the luxury of puttin everythin in ur life on hold and drivin out 24 hours away to chill wit friends, not me, ya punk ass.

Blood$

anybody still trapped in 1996 has some serious growing up to do

PLANT

Since when is 9-5 considered "hard working job"??  A 9-5 is typically your cozy office environment job where you work a short 8 hour day sitting on your ass.  Someone that gets up at sunrise and gets home late works a "hard working job"