Author Topic: My comment on the status of the Lakers  (Read 1719 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
My comment on the status of the Lakers
« on: July 14, 2015, 11:22:21 AM »
I just got back from California for the last 2 and a half weeks. And man it felt good to be home. I miss my family, I miss the weather, and I miss my teams being the only thing other fans talk about. One thing I will say though, Sccit's version of the Lakers is very different than mine, and it must be an I.E. thing but most Laker fans I know tend to agree with me when it comes to the Lakers that I ran into.

One more thing before I move on, I still haven't met a Clippers fan. Like many said, they might have watched the Clippers in the playoffs, but no one was becoming a Clippers fan. And in the I.E., they weren't going to buy no Clippers jersey, I know in L.A. a few people switched over. Not in the I.E.

One thing that people wanted was for Kobe to retire. I was actually surprised, because to me, I want Kobe to have that one last send off year. But everyone else doesn't want to see Kobe always injured anymore. I know fans in actual L.A. are very much behind Kobe, but I.E. fans seem like they want to move on. We all agree that management has to change. Being there made me realize that the game might be passing Mitch by. A lot can be said about the Lakers lack of analytic, which I was shocked to hear so many fans talk about, but I think that Mitch might be a bit outdated in his thinking. I was very concern with rumors the Lakers wanted to trade from Cousins. I like Cousins, and if we can get Cousins then we should, but not in a trade and not for Randell and Russell and future draft picks. Mitch seems to trade off the future in order to compete in the present. And that works when you add a Pau Gasol to a Kobe in his prime. But when you can't get free agents to stay, then you need the picks. The Lakers need the picks. We are almost but guaranteed to lose our first round pick this up coming year, as it's only top 5 protected. It seems that people are starting to question Mitch more. Usually the blame was always of Jim Buss and Mitch was granted an excuse. But when you look at Mitch's record, it is a bit spotty. He really only built the late-2000's team, and that's through the Gasol trade. He inhered the Shaq/Kobe team, and tweaked that every year. He has never signed that big free agent the way West got Shaq. He's strength was building super-teams that always under achieved. Like the 2003-2004 Lakers or the 2011-2012 Lakers. So I'm starting to think that it's time for a change in upper management.

I still think the Lakers need to keep Kobe. I don't care if you give him another 2 year, $40 million. Kobe sells tickets and is the face of the franchise.

Some are thinking this will be the start of the 90's version of the Lakers, which you have Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones, that's how they see Jordan Clarkson and D'Angelo Russell. I wasn't surprised by this. I think next year (2016-2017) the Lakers will be competing with this back court.

With that said, in order for the Lakers to compete, and this pains me so much to say, they need to move on from Byron Scott. I've spent the last 14 years praying the Lakers hire Scott to coach this team. And I think 14, 10, hell 6 years ago he'd have done a great job with this team. But like Mitch, the game has passed him by. I think he will still develop the guards and after he's done I'm sure the Lakers will give him a nice job at Time Warner or in their front office. He's a loyal Laker through and through. But it really just seems like he was hired to see Kobe off. As long as Kobe in playing, Scott will be coaching. And For this up coming year, I have no problems with that. But once they want to focus on the Clarkson/Russell era, then it's key that they move on from Russell and hire a younger coach.

My own thoughts...

The Lakers are 2-3 years from competing. That really sucks, the last time they missed the playoffs two years in a row was was 1974-1976. In 1974-1975, aside from an aging Gail Goodrich they had no one, and the next year they added Kareem who got them to almost .500. But in Kareem's second year, the Lakers were back in the playoffs. The Lakers did not get saved by a blockbuster signing, or blockbuster trade. Instead, they got shafted three years in a row. This is not what happens in L.A., and not what happens to the Lakers. I foresee 4 straight years of no playoffs. Even with Kobe retiring, this does NOTHING to help the Lakers, but instead hurts them. One thing about Kobe, the kids coming in really want to play with him. They looked up to him and to them, that late-2000's run showed them why he was better than LeBron. The Lakers can really use that to get some draft picks to want to be in L.A.

At the end of the day, I think Mitch and Jim need to give it up. Either they commit to rebuilding or they give it up. You can't trade away the future. You must either rebuild all the way, or go full in this year, which you don't have the talent or trade pieces to do. So now it's a matter of just rebuillding. And right now the Lakers are in a great spot. But they need to think differently to get to that next level. They need a big man, and someone to get that big man.

Sccit

Re: My comment on the status of the Lakers
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:46:43 PM »
1.Mitch did fine this offseason....Stole Hibbert, signed reigning 6th man of the year, stigned a lottery talent in Robert Upshaw to a 2 year deal, signed a starting quality big in Brandon Bass (whos in his prime).
2.We ain't gettin Cousins.
3.Our draft pick is only top 3 protected
4.Mitch has done AMAZING things in the past, which u have orverlooked (such as trading for CP3)
5.Lakers have an analytics department
6.Byron Scott has coached 50+ win teams and been to the Finals twice as a coach..Last year, his philosophy was to shoot a minimal amount of threes. this year, he has went on record to say he wants to put up more threes per game, citing the drafting of sharpshooter anthony brown as a direct result of that...to say he isn't progressing is laughable. you're judging him based on a season where he had a terrible roster to work with. no bueno.

OTHER THAN THAT, I THINK U REALIZE THAT WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST YOUNG CORES IN THE LEAGUE AND OUR ARROW IS POINTIN WAY UP RIGHT NOW. LETS SEE HOW THIS SEASON PLAYS OUT AND THEN WE CAN RE-VISIT THIS THREAD...AS LONG AS I SEE DEVELOPMENT WITH THE YOUNG'NS, THEN WE GOOD TO GO.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »
enjoy a 30 win season and a 10th or 11th seed in the west

no first round pick

no stars when Durant stays in OKC with Westbrook - maybe you can get Marshmelo Anthony from Philbert ;D

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »
enjoy a 30 win season and a 10th or 11th seed in the west

no first round pick

no stars when Durant stays in OKC with Westbrook - maybe you can get Marshmelo Anthony from Philbert ;D

Enjoy no young superstar prospects to watch this season, while the lakeshow got russell, clarkson, and randle

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:28:26 PM »
1.Mitch did fine this offseason....Stole Hibbert, signed reigning 6th man of the year, stigned a lottery talent in Robert Upshaw to a 2 year deal, signed a starting quality big in Brandon Bass (whos in his prime).
2.We ain't gettin Cousins.
3.Our draft pick is only top 3 protected
4.Mitch has done AMAZING things in the past, which u have orverlooked (such as trading for CP3)
5.Lakers have an analytics department
6.Byron Scott has coached 50+ win teams and been to the Finals twice as a coach..Last year, his philosophy was to shoot a minimal amount of threes. this year, he has went on record to say he wants to put up more threes per game, citing the drafting of sharpshooter anthony brown as a direct result of that...to say he isn't progressing is laughable. you're judging him based on a season where he had a terrible roster to work with. no bueno.

OTHER THAN THAT, I THINK U REALIZE THAT WE HAVE ONE OF THE BEST YOUNG CORES IN THE LEAGUE AND OUR ARROW IS POINTIN WAY UP RIGHT NOW. LETS SEE HOW THIS SEASON PLAYS OUT AND THEN WE CAN RE-VISIT THIS THREAD...AS LONG AS I SEE DEVELOPMENT WITH THE YOUNG'NS, THEN WE GOOD TO GO.

1. I'd say he did okay. But I expected more. I really did. I was hoping for at least a B level big man... now we got Slow Roy. (As Steve Mason calls him) I think this off season was an upgrade, but overall I'm not impressed. Mitch has bought a lot of time with his past to make this right. But being the first GM in Lakers history to miss the playoffs 3 years in a row isn't a good thing. Hopefully they can do something.

2. That was all everyone was talking about until the Kings themselves said they ain't trading Cousins. Then the Roy trade happened, which killed any chance of it happening. But even entertaining that trade with the young pieces we have, that's what annoyed me the most.

3. Damn, that's right, this year it's only top 3 protected, and tanking can't guarantee that. That Steve Nash trade is like a bad horror movie, it keeps following you until it kills you. Damn you Mitch!

4. He's done more good that bad, but the 2003-2004 Lakers, and the Steve Nash trade both held down the Lakers for years after. He did do good in the Shaq trade, and had a great trade with Pau Gasol. But always trying to trade Pau led to Marc Gasol not wanting to comeback later. So yeah, you have to take the good with the bad. But right now, karma is catching up. Though he is a great talent evaluator.

5. Yep. Best interview I heard during my time in California, Mitch invited Steve Mason to join Mark Madsen and watch how they work. I was amused. It's up to Byron Scott to now use that information.

6. Awe, Byron. There is so much old school I love in him. I will give him one more year before final judgment. This was who I wanted as coach for the Lakers for a long time. I have to just give it one more year with better players.

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 08:14:31 PM »
ROY HIBBERT IS AN A-LEVEL BIG ON THE DEFENSIVE END, AND THATS WHERE THE LAKERS LACKED MOST. HIBBERT IS A 2 TIME ALL-STAR AND THE BEST RIM PROTECTOR IN THE LEAGUE FOR A MAJORITY OF THE 10'S.....WE ACTUALLY BETTER OFF GETTIN HIM THAN OVERPAYING AND LOCKING UP OLD MAN ALDRIDGE FOR 5 YEARS.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 08:19:53 PM »
roy hibbert WAS a 2 time all star

never again though

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:23:39 PM »
AND THE CELTICS JUST TRADED AWAY ANOTHER DRAFT PICK FOR PERRY JONES...YALL NEVER GUNA HAVE ANOTHER SUPERSTAR ON YOUR TEAM AT THIS RATE N U KNOW IT. MEANWHILE, LAKESHOW GROOMIN 3 POTENTIAL SUPERSTARS AT THE SAME DAMN TIME....GET MAD.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »
ROY HIBBERT IS AN A-LEVEL BIG ON THE DEFENSIVE END, AND THATS WHERE THE LAKERS LACKED MOST. HIBBERT IS A 2 TIME ALL-STAR AND THE BEST RIM PROTECTOR IN THE LEAGUE FOR A MAJORITY OF THE 10'S.....WE ACTUALLY BETTER OFF GETTIN HIM THAN OVERPAYING AND LOCKING UP OLD MAN ALDRIDGE FOR 5 YEARS.

I didn't want Aldridge either, too old for a rebuild project. He's young compared to Tim Duncan, but he only has 3-4 more years in his prime. That's not enough time for him to help Russell and Clarkson develop to a title contender. Lou Williams is more of a stop gap player for now, but he's 28. They are keeping Nick Young, who's 30. But they need that young big man. I am not sure what the disfunction is in management, but it's cost them Marc Gasol, who was my main target. I thought they should have gone after Marc Gasol hard, but he saw how they treated his brother and he stayed far away from the circus of the Laker's management.

Hibbert, I ain't mad at this trade. He's on the last year of his contract, he's proven to be an all-star at his best. I think that he can contribute and earn being resigned and if the Lakers get a real big man starter, then he can be a great contributor off the bench. But man, they could have had more.

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 01:05:15 AM »

I didn't want Aldridge either, too old for a rebuild project. He's young compared to Tim Duncan, but he only has 3-4 more years in his prime. That's not enough time for him to help Russell and Clarkson develop to a title contender. Lou Williams is more of a stop gap player for now, but he's 28. They are keeping Nick Young, who's 30. But they need that young big man. I am not sure what the disfunction is in management, but it's cost them Marc Gasol, who was my main target. I thought they should have gone after Marc Gasol hard, but he saw how they treated his brother and he stayed far away from the circus of the Laker's management.

Hibbert, I ain't mad at this trade. He's on the last year of his contract, he's proven to be an all-star at his best. I think that he can contribute and earn being resigned and if the Lakers get a real big man starter, then he can be a great contributor off the bench. But man, they could have had more.

MARC GASOL WASNT LEAVING MEMPHIS, NO REASON TO HOLD THAT AGAINST LAKERS FRONT OFFICE. HE DIDNT GO TO 29 OTHER TEAMS EITHER..HEARTS IN MEMPHIS, AND THEY GOT A CONTENDER THERE, BOTTOM LINE.

AND LOL@HIBBERT COMIN OFF THE BENCH .. WE TALKIN BOUT THE SAME DUDE WHO FINISHED 2ND IN DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR VOTING LAST YEAR. STOP THAT.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 07:46:48 AM »

MARC GASOL WASNT LEAVING MEMPHIS, NO REASON TO HOLD THAT AGAINST LAKERS FRONT OFFICE. HE DIDNT GO TO 29 OTHER TEAMS EITHER..HEARTS IN MEMPHIS, AND THEY GOT A CONTENDER THERE, BOTTOM LINE.

AND LOL@HIBBERT COMIN OFF THE BENCH .. WE TALKIN BOUT THE SAME DUDE WHO FINISHED 2ND IN DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR VOTING LAST YEAR. STOP THAT.

But as he gets older, and the young players get older, I think he'll be more of a vet off the bench. For the next 2 years, I see starter, but not in 3-4 years. And the Lakers are looking at getting more young pieces during that time. He's a stop gap, not a building block.

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:02 AM »

But as he gets older, and the young players get older, I think he'll be more of a vet off the bench. For the next 2 years, I see starter, but not in 3-4 years. And the Lakers are looking at getting more young pieces during that time. He's a stop gap, not a building block.

Building blocks are our young stars .. Hibbert is the defensive anchor u put next to them to defend the paint.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »

Building blocks are our young stars .. Hibbert is the defensive anchor u put next to them to defend the paint.

I'll give him a chance. He's a low risk addition who can either anchor the defense and help these young players grow, or get left behind. I will with hold judgment until I see him out there. Who knows. I was hoping for Marc Gasol, as I said, and him staying in Memphis was not the problem. My problem was why he stayed, and had to do more with how the Lakers treated Pau. I think part of him wanted to join LA, and be in a Spanish speaking city. But did he want to deal with the drama of the Lakers.

And if you look at how the Lakers have been ran since Mitch took over. When Jerry West traded Eddie Jones it pained him. Shaq had been on West to get a 3-point shooter, as he was in the LA Times everyday saying he needs a 3-point shooter. On top of that, Jones was Kobe's only friend in the locker room, and there was rumor Shaq wanted Eddie out so he can have full control. Kobe had already rejected being the little brother, and Shaq had already slapped Kobe down that year. So Shaq was pushing West to get him a shooter. West finally caved, and traded Eddie Jones for Glen Rice, and even he admitted that he regrets that trade. Jones would go on to have his best years in Miami later, and Rice only lasted a year and a half. Had West just wanted one more year until he got Phil, I think he knew it could all work out. I know Jones requested the trade, but you didn't hear all about this drama in the papers. That's the difference to the later Laker teams.

With that said, Mitch trades pieces and leaves them out in the media way too much. What he did to Pau was wrong, and Pau left. Now his career rebounded with Chicago. Under Mitch, Odom, Bynum, Gasol all were left out to dry in the media as part of trade rumors. The Lakers became highly unprofessional. I think for me as a fan, I over looked it because the Lakers won and Mitch made it happen. But now we are at the point were no players want to sign with the Lakers. Well Golden State's trophy has Jerry West fingerprints all over it, we are here with players avoiding coming to the Lakers and a front office full of dysfunctions. It was easy for me to blame Jim Buss. And you know, I might be too hard on Mitch because it's only this off season Jim FINALLY stepped back and Mitch is left picking up the pieces.

So you know Sccit, you might be right. I might be too hard on Mitch. Maybe he's just dealing with the last 3 years of Jim Buss micro-managing the team and how that turned off players and coaches. Let's see how this year goes. Mitch's drafts have been great. Maybe he needs a chance to manage his own rebuild, and let's see Jim stay out of the way.

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »

I'll give him a chance. He's a low risk addition who can either anchor the defense and help these young players grow, or get left behind. I will with hold judgment until I see him out there. Who knows. I was hoping for Marc Gasol, as I said, and him staying in Memphis was not the problem. My problem was why he stayed, and had to do more with how the Lakers treated Pau. I think part of him wanted to join LA, and be in a Spanish speaking city. But did he want to deal with the drama of the Lakers.

And if you look at how the Lakers have been ran since Mitch took over. When Jerry West traded Eddie Jones it pained him. Shaq had been on West to get a 3-point shooter, as he was in the LA Times everyday saying he needs a 3-point shooter. On top of that, Jones was Kobe's only friend in the locker room, and there was rumor Shaq wanted Eddie out so he can have full control. Kobe had already rejected being the little brother, and Shaq had already slapped Kobe down that year. So Shaq was pushing West to get him a shooter. West finally caved, and traded Eddie Jones for Glen Rice, and even he admitted that he regrets that trade. Jones would go on to have his best years in Miami later, and Rice only lasted a year and a half. Had West just wanted one more year until he got Phil, I think he knew it could all work out. I know Jones requested the trade, but you didn't hear all about this drama in the papers. That's the difference to the later Laker teams.

With that said, Mitch trades pieces and leaves them out in the media way too much. What he did to Pau was wrong, and Pau left. Now his career rebounded with Chicago. Under Mitch, Odom, Bynum, Gasol all were left out to dry in the media as part of trade rumors. The Lakers became highly unprofessional. I think for me as a fan, I over looked it because the Lakers won and Mitch made it happen. But now we are at the point were no players want to sign with the Lakers. Well Golden State's trophy has Jerry West fingerprints all over it, we are here with players avoiding coming to the Lakers and a front office full of dysfunctions. It was easy for me to blame Jim Buss. And you know, I might be too hard on Mitch because it's only this off season Jim FINALLY stepped back and Mitch is left picking up the pieces.

So you know Sccit, you might be right. I might be too hard on Mitch. Maybe he's just dealing with the last 3 years of Jim Buss micro-managing the team and how that turned off players and coaches. Let's see how this year goes. Mitch's drafts have been great. Maybe he needs a chance to manage his own rebuild, and let's see Jim stay out of the way.

DID MARC GASOL COME OUT AND SAY HE DIDNT WANA PLAY IN LA BECAUSE OF HOW PAU WAS TREATED? OR WAS THAT JUST SOMETHING U CAME UP WITH CUZ U THOUGHT IT SOUNDED CUTE?? CUZ HE ALSO DIDNT SIGN WITH THE CLIPPERS....AND THEYRE CONSIDERED CONTENDERS. SO LIKE I SAID, STOP THAT.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
It was a huge news story for a day when I was home. Basically when Aldridge didn't sign, all hell broke loose.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la-sp-lakers-bresnahan-20150628-story.html

Marc Gasol has no interest in the Lakers because of the uneasy last few years his brother spent with them, according to numerous people familiar with the situation.